I'm also aware the university of waterloo has had and has a rockin very strong math department. Engineering is great as well. So I'd anticipate BlackBerry could draw in some top notch employees!

Posted via CB10
    08-17-15 07:40 PM
    Shortening a World war by two years and saving hundreds of thousands of lives not cool enough for you huh? Tough room!!! Te he . X

Posted via CB10
    I went to Bletchley myself in early July. It's a wonderful place and a great story of some amazing people.

I still cannot find a connection to RIM, however. What does this have to do with BlackBerry or how cool it is today?

In fact, when you enter the visitor center and the queue for tickets at Bletchley, you see to your left a display from Google. Google was one of the companies that paid for the museum that memorializes the work done there. Does that make Android cool, too?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    08-17-15 07:51 PM
    ......I remember when I used to be the coolest on the block with this bad boy.....gone are the good ol' days....Attachment 366959
    How's the camera, and how's the app selection?

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    extisis likes this.
    08-17-15 08:23 PM
    This was my first cell phone back in 2001. Tracfone Nokia..I remember those custom snap on cases you could buy. I also remember playing that snake game on it...awesome graphics lol BlackBerry not cool??-uploadfromtaptalk1439861577323.jpg

extisis likes this.
    08-17-15 08:33 PM
    This was my first cell phone back in 2001. Tracfone Nokia..I remember those custom snap on cases you could buy. I also remember playing that snake game on it...awesome graphics lol Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1439861577323.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	367252

Dude this was my first phone in 2001 too! Except it was made by Qualcomm/Kyocera... that was exactly it though. Snake game and all.

Posted via CB10
    dlrogers81 likes this.
    08-17-15 08:40 PM
    Dude this was my first phone in 2001 too! Except it was made by Qualcomm/Kyocera... that was exactly it though. Snake game and all.

Posted via CB10
    I remember feeling "cool" when I got that phone lol and you had to be seen with it when you were out.

extisis likes this.
    08-17-15 08:50 PM
    I remember feeling "cool" when I got that phone lol and you had to be seen with it when you were out.

for sure, i learned how to text on that mofo. i was texting emoticons way before these kids knew about emoji's lol
    dlrogers81 likes this.
    08-17-15 08:57 PM
    Kinda hard to look cool with a phone that's 3 Dog years old or placing a bathroom tile on your ear 😮
    08-17-15 11:04 PM
    Kinda hard to look cool with a phone that's 3 Dog years old or placing a bathroom tile on your ear ��
    ....if you walked around with that phone nowadays sure... but we were talking about 2001 kid.
    08-17-15 11:10 PM
    ....if you walked around with that phone nowadays sure... but we were talking about 2001 kid.
    I was referring to BB10 phones
    08-17-15 11:52 PM
    I was referring to BB10 phones
    All phones look like the same bathroom tile kid.

Unless, of course, you are talking about the uber cool Passport, in which case you automatically without exception self elevate to the less warm climes of cool, no matter how uncool you may otherwise be.

Flicked from some bathroom tile.

Posted via CB10
    extisis likes this.
    08-18-15 06:26 AM
    I dunno man I must be weird cause the main reason I like BlackBerry IS because they're UNCOOL

Posted via CB10
    graylingboy likes this.
    08-18-15 06:53 AM
    I went to Bletchley myself in early July. It's a wonderful place and a great story of some amazing people.

I still cannot find a connection to RIM, however. What does this have to do with BlackBerry or how cool it is today?

In fact, when you enter the visitor center and the queue for tickets at Bletchley, you see to your left a display from Google. Google was one of the companies that paid for the museum that memorializes the work done there. Does that make Android cool, too?

Thank you. I have searched everywhere (at the OP's suggestion) to find anything remotely related between this individual and Blackberry.
    08-18-15 07:12 AM
    Right. This is the problem, not being cool or not. People buy ecosystem, apps and related platforms among other ecosystem things. BB doesn't do at all well when taking that into consideration.
    I agree with you on this.

I, actually, think BlackBerry 10 could have had a shot if the ecosystem situation were handled better and that it stayed a consistent focus. It started to build a lot of hype. The popular Super Bowl ad added to it, somewhat. Unfortunately, BlackBerry under-delivered when it came to what the masses wanted.

When I came out with my Z10, people would say, "Is that the new BlackBerry?" and would want to see it. "Can it do this? Can it do that?" But, at the time, the follow-up question would be, "Can you do Instagram/Flappy Birds/Whatever on that thing?" And, at the time, it wasn't possible. So, BB10 couldn't gain any traction.

Now, people largely just don't think BlackBerry is in business anymore. "BlackBerry? Oh...I didn't think they were still making phones," is what I hear now.

Once (if!?) BlackBerry figures out how to remedy the ecosystem situation, that aspect of the playing field would be level and taken out of consideration. Then, people can evaluate BB10 for its merits and how nice of an alternative it offers to the current mainstream.

Even now, even with BlackBerry fighting with its all to keep its boat afloat, a half-decent ecosystem (one that attracts some mainstream audience, not just business users. Top 100 apps.), some well-placed advertising grenades, and a little word-of-mouth from satisfied customers can go a long way toward gaining momentum.

The buying public seems to be fickle. I doubt Apple and Samsung will be the only game in town forever. I hope BlackBerry can find its sweet spot and, if not hit a home run, at least get its man off third base.

So much potential placed in butter fingers.

 Posted via CB10 on my Q10 
    08-18-15 07:41 AM
    I dunno man I must be weird cause the main reason I like BlackBerry IS because they're UNCOOL

Posted via CB10
    Lol..its not my Main reason for owning a BlackBerry, but it's definitely in my top reasons.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-15 09:31 AM
    Thank you. I have searched everywhere (at the OP's suggestion) to find anything remotely related between this individual and Blackberry.
    Well he did teach at Waterloo and I think many, many RIM/BB employees went to school there. So that's at least a connection, but I can't find anything stronger than that.

Of course if that makes BB cool, then do Apple and Google deserve credit now for all the professors who have taught at Stanford and Berkeley? Or do Microsoft and Facebook now claim all the work done at Harvard?

08-18-15 10:25 AM
    I loved that series of Nokia candy bar phones. I had several of them. I remember one that put a fake wood front on. Our first cell phone though was an NEC bag phone. Now that is a relic.
    08-18-15 08:22 PM
    Tutte did teach at University of Waterloo. Now looking forward I am aware the Engineering Depart has a strong link to the Automotive sector, ie Racing, some big manufacturer in Dearborn []. Since RIM or rather BlackBerry is effectively on Campus - well you can imagine the resources available, eg QNX in automobiles!

Posted via CB10
    graylingboy likes this.
    08-19-15 04:12 PM
    I like my BlackBerry Passport because it does what I want it to do. Quickly and efficiently. That's what I expect and BlackBerry delivers. Simple

Posted via CB10
    graylingboy likes this.
    08-19-15 04:17 PM
    BlackBerry is cool. Both of my middle school kids have Q10's. They don't care about being like the other trend lemming kids with the iphones and androids. Their Q10's do video chat and anything else deemed "necessary". Besides, I refuse to bring i-anything into my house. Lol.

Posted via CB10
    graylingboy likes this.
    08-31-15 10:42 AM
    BlackBerry is cool. Both of my middle school kids have Q10's. They don't care about being like the other trend lemming kids with the iphones and androids. Their Q10's do video chat and anything else deemed "necessary". Besides, I refuse to bring i-anything into my house. Lol.

Posted via CB10
    You're calling middle school kids lemmings? Nice.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 03:54 PM
    It's not about being cool anymore, it's about functionality, support and apps and that's what the market is driven by today and that's just the way it is whether we choose to accept it or not.
    Just ask every girl between 15 and 35 what phone would like to have.

Then ask them about functionality...

No way man, it's about being cool in this sheep world.

When BlackBerry will inventato something cool like iPod was some years ago, then millions of units will be sold with lines outside the stores...

____BlackBerry 10 makes me stay___
    08-31-15 04:46 PM
    Just ask every girl between 15 and 35 what phone would like to have.

Then ask them about functionality...

No way man, it's about being cool in this sheep world.

When BlackBerry will inventato something cool like iPod was some years ago, then millions of units will be sold with lines outside the stores...

____BlackBerry 10 makes me stay___
    Apps = functionality. It may be a different functionality than you need but that doesn't make it less important.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 05:06 PM
    You're calling middle school kids lemmings? Nice.

Posted via CB10
    He said trend lemmings. And yes adolescents are typically exactly that. Not all, but most are. Fortunately, people do grow out of that phase. I know I did..... eventually some 95 years ago.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 05:24 PM
    He said trend lemmings. And yes adolescents are typically exactly that. Not all, but most are. Fortunately, people do grow out of that phase. I know I did..... eventually some 95 years ago.

Posted via CB10
    Lol. Yeah, so if your kids have q10's they're cool but if they have an iphone they're only following the crowd. Right. Let's not give them credit for picking something that fits their needs.

Sure, kids follow trends, we all did. That doesn't make the trends always wrong. I don't see how either couldn't be happy, cool, whatever. And don't tell me all adults get over that. You may have 95 years ago but I refuse to give up my 110 year old traits!

Posted via CB10
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    08-31-15 05:43 PM
81 1234