I've been reading a few posts recently about BlackBerry not being 'cool', a great/ the best OS, but not funky and cool. Well, ... hup huum! May I just make them aware of a couple of facts.
    We have just got back from our third visit this this year to the legendary' Bletchley Park ' , home of the code breakers, the people that largely won us the second world war or at least shortened it by years and as a result saved thousands, if not millions of lives. On our most recent history we went to the museum of computing which is also part of Bletchley where we were told of the vital contribution of a telephone engineer called Bill Tutte. Bill was an east end boy not an Oxbridge Don not a high ranking officer, just a phone engineer, admittedly, a genius but a very ordinary man. He was the kingpin of a team and designer of 'Colossus' the world's first super computer and the real beating, clicking heart of Bletchley.
    What I did not know was that Bill after the war moved to a place in Canada called Waterloo (ring any bells?) where he was consultant to a small firm called BlackBerry. The rest you can Google on the piece of history in your hands right now.
    I bet Apple were aware of it when they chose their logo, they obviously wanted to borrow from the Bletchley reputation, non of the pedigree but plenty of marketing nounce.
    I'm sorry but if this quietly spoken Canadian company isn't 'cool' then I just don't want to be 'cool'.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-15 02:54 AM
    It's not about being cool anymore, it's about functionality, support and apps and that's what the market is driven by today and that's just the way it is whether we choose to accept it or not.
    meow_chan, jmr1015 and SRemillard1 like this.
    08-14-15 04:39 AM
    Depends what you call cool, Apple were cool but every tom **** and Harry and their mom and dad's have one, similar with Android.

Cool for me has always been the outsider, Bowie in the 70's was cool - when he did his Phil Collins phase in the 80's he had lost the coolness.....

So yeah in that way Blackberry are cool as they are the outsider but then I have always backed the underdog and talked complete bollox lol

No more double typing...
    08-14-15 05:26 AM
    Define cool. My cool won't be the same as your cool.

ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.2.2339
    08-14-15 05:39 AM
    BlackBerry is functional, not cool.

Via my Z30 on the Telus network
    IndianTiwari and La Emperor like this.
    08-14-15 05:54 AM
    I think the cool thing about BlackBerry is that it's unique. Getting cooler every day.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-15 06:19 AM
    Who cares. It just WORKS for me.

"Z30 STA100-2 UK" 10.3.1.2582 Get's a Ten from Fen.
    08-14-15 12:18 PM
    Depends what you call cool, Apple were cool but every tom **** and Harry and their mom and dad's have one, similar with Android.

Cool for me has always been the outsider, Bowie in the 70's was cool - when he did his Phil Collins phase in the 80's he had lost the coolness.....

So yeah in that way Blackberry are cool as they are the outsider but then I have always backed the underdog and talked complete bollox lol

No more double typing...
    Pretty tough to be an outsider in a group more than 80 million+ (?) strong.
    08-14-15 12:24 PM
    It's not about being cool anymore, it's about functionality, support and apps and that's what the market is driven by today and that's just the way it is whether we choose to accept it or not.
    Well said.

Well said.
    08-14-15 12:26 PM

"Z30 STA100-2 UK" 10.3.1.2582 Get's a Ten from Fen.
    Well said. Agree with you 100 percent.

 Passport [ 10.3.2.2339]
    BerrySoul, TCB on Z10 and bungaboy like this.
    08-14-15 12:43 PM
    I am unique with my cool BlackBerry.

  
    08-14-15 01:48 PM
    Yeah that story doesn't make BlackBerry cool.
    08-14-15 03:09 PM
    Hmmmm.....so if I don't have a BB, Apple or Galaxy...what does that make me? Oh heck, at least it's a Samsung......BlackBerry not cool??-imageuploadedbycb-forums1439588959.592557.jpg
    southlander and graylingboy like this.
    08-14-15 04:49 PM
    Please don't feel pressured to comment if you have nothing to say.
    I just thought it was an interesting story for what is after all a BlackBerry fan site. Sorry to have rattled some fragile little cages.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by graylingboy; 08-14-15 at 06:11 PM.
    miker476 likes this.
    08-14-15 05:59 PM
    Please don't feel pressured to comment if you have nothing to say.
    I just thought it was an interesting story for what is after all a BlackBerry fan site. Sorry to have rattled some fragile little cages cages.

Posted via CB10
    If your referring to my light-hearted humor and felt that it was uncalled for and it rattled YOUR fragile little cage, then I'm sorry that you're so fragile and can't except a bit of humor. If it wasn't meant for me, then "my bad"......
    ....oh, and for the record....that was just an old phone I dug up from my drawer......thought that was kinda funny....
    shaleem likes this.
    08-14-15 06:19 PM
    Mb64, not talking about you bud. Some guys sort of missed the point. At least your old phone defies convention. Humours good! Dare I say cool!

Posted via CB10
    08-14-15 06:27 PM
    Right. This is the problem, not being cool or not. People buy ecosystem, apps and related platforms among other ecosystem things. BB doesn't do at all well when taking that into consideration.
    08-14-15 06:35 PM
    Mb64, not talking about you bud. Some guys sort of missed the point. At least your old phone defies convention. Humours good! Dare I say cool!

Posted via CB10
    My bad, sorry for the confusion, hey....my phone rocks!! Yes, humor is always good...
    graylingboy likes this.
    08-14-15 06:37 PM
    It's a sad day (and I've said this before) when someone is judged on how cool they are by what kind of phone they have....
    08-14-15 06:39 PM
    Define cool. My cool won't be the same as your cool.

ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.2.2339
    I would say cool is something you find pleasing or can take pride in, something worthy of note etc. And yes, your interpretation will be different from mine.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-15 06:41 PM
    BlackBerry not cool??-wat.jpg

Posted on my Z30.......while on the can
    08-14-15 07:47 PM
    What was Tutte's involvement with BlackBerry? (RIM back then, I guess, since Tutte passed more than a decade ago)

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    08-14-15 08:04 PM
    I met up with a prospective client a few weeks ago for the first time & she carried with her a BlackBerry Bold 9900 & a Samsung Galaxy S5 I think. So I asked her if the BlackBerry was her own device and guaranteed what was the reply?

Of course not. Who in the world would still want to use a BlackBerry nowadays. So I ended up hiding my Z10.....

Posted via CB10
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    08-14-15 10:16 PM
    You should have replied just the three most powerful people in the western world, pulled out your z10, and then said "wait... make that 4"

But honestly, no phone is cool (well maybe a Passport, but I digress) and yet 100's of millions were bought by people in a vain attempt to be cool. Victims of marketing I suppose.

Posted via CB10
    graylingboy likes this.
    08-14-15 11:22 PM
    Sheep.

Flying Spaghetti Monster. SQW-100-4. 10.3.2.2226
    08-15-15 09:04 AM
81 123 ...