Hide Sent Messages: No
    Days to keep messages: 30

The last sent message on my phone is 30 days ago, on January 15th. However for some reason all received messages start from December 24th.

It's not a case of received messages deleting after sent ones, because December 24th has, for as long as I've noticed this problem, always been the date messages start from. (i.e it won't start from December 25th tomorrow)

My SMS Messages database is now at 7114 items, 3684.1kb, and I think it's starting to slow down my phone.

I've tried setting "days to keep messages" to 60, then back down to 30, to try and trigger a cleanup but it didn't work. I can't see anything else in the options that might help me... anyone got any ideas?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-16-11 05:21 AM
    I know we should be able to depend on an OS to manage our berries itself, it would be nice if the OS would actually delete from a minimum date. I myself I don't SMS so I cant really help. I would recommend pruning the messages manually myself.
    02-16-11 06:32 AM
    Pruning manually? I said above, I've got over 7,000 messages on there.

02-16-11 04:26 PM

7000, wow.
    02-16-11 05:15 PM
    So, assuming half of them are received, I don't have the time or patience to manually delete 3,500 messages.

You said yourself you can't help, obviously manually deleting the messages is an option, I explained why your suggestion wasn't helpful and now you're just posting crap for no reason.

Anyone else?
    02-17-11 07:06 PM
    Not sure which phone or OS you are running but on my Torch, I can highlight one of the date separators, hit the bb button, then hit delete prior. If you cant do it from the text app, go to your messages file, hit the bb button, view folder, sms inbox. Then try the above.
    02-17-11 07:22 PM
    I've just done that exact thing, made sure there's less that 30 days worth of incoming messages on there, just hopes once it reaches 30 the auto delete thing kicks in and starts working again.

It's having a bit of a nightmare processing it but it completed and I've done a battery pull, hopefully that'll be it.
    02-17-11 07:38 PM
    I've got over 18k texts. I've been having this problem for awhile and mine is set to 15 days.

What happens with the threaded messaging is that if you've texted that person in the last 30 days, it doesn't delete any texts because it's on todays texts and not 31 days ago. So you have to either manually delete the older messages (by searching for the sender and "delete prior) (mine date back to Nov occasionally) or just live with it.

02-18-11 08:26 AM
    So, to update this, I'd like to see someone with some technical information on why it might be doing this.

Last night I texted a friend who has moved away. We don't text very much and it had been since 1/15 since we texted. How do I know that date? Because I still have all her texts even though my setting is to "15 days".

I'm guessing the reason for that is I probably have a "saved" message or two from her. So maybe thats why it won't delete the thread. But still. Seems like the software should be "smarter" than that.

02-21-11 09:39 AM
    I don't have a single message 'saved' from my girlfriend. Received messages from her start on 17th Jan (after I did the delete prior thing - see above) whereas my outgoing messages don't start until Feb 2nd (28 days before today's date)

My setting is on delete after 28 days. For the first 4 months (ish) of Blackberry ownership my device did not do this...

03-01-11 08:59 PM
    Any news on this?
    04-25-11 08:31 PM