Being 58 and going through the early days of the smartphone era and my favorite device to this day was my Blackberry 7100i from Nextel.

I traveled the world with that device and it never let me down. I did have one of the early iPhones with the aluminum back and I remember after using it for a while, I new it was going to be a game changer.

I also thought the original Nexus One by HTC was a lovely device, thin well built and a great screen. Only major draw back was it only had 256MB of memory and filled up quickly after installing a few key apps.

I did buy a z10 the day it was released here in the USA and went through all the restart issues and device exchanges, but I can honestly say OS10 has come a long way since then.

Now I sport a z30 100-5 unlocked model on T Mobile USA and I love the device, solid built, big screen and good call quality. Blackberry has always served my needs for a smartphone which is primarily email and messaging and OS10 does that very well.

The Hub, Peek and the gesturing concepts have grown on me and I now find myself lost without them. I have tried to venture back to IOS and/or Android, but something about Blackberry OS10 keeps calling me back.

My next major purchase will be a unlocked GSM version of the passport as soon as it is available to the public. Blackberry has taken me full circle and with Mr Chen now at the helm, looks to be a fun ride ahead.

Sent using my lovely z30 on T Mobile USA
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    08-19-14 01:42 PM
    The problem is the masses have moved on and they are a very fragile bunch. Some are going to change their phone and os very often while others are sticking to one brand no matter what (ie Apple, Samsung)

The problem with bb10 are the gestures, walled garden approach, immaturity and of course not allowing skins or different launchers. So it's a system that doesn't feature the options the mass market desires nor offer the usual BlackBerry experience.

I'm not naive so I know it won't happen and that's why some of us are still hanging on the legacy devices. I've posted somewhere that a phone needs more than the return of tool belts.

I don't know what went wrong but Chen should have taken the bold and just improved the specs, there are many reasons why the q10 didn't sell not just the tool belt.

When it comes to hard and software I'm a big believer in the if it's not broken don't fix it mantra.
    I agree with everything you said except the end. If they kept at it with BB7 I don't think the situation with blackberry would be any different other than probably WORSE. The old plain BBOS may work for many users up to this day but the masses wont gravitate towards blackberry with an OS more than a decade old. BB10 needed to happen, did they make the right move with gestures? Probably not. I love the gestures. It makes the phone different, it gives me a different experience compared to iOS and Android. People are just lazier than they have ever been, they don't want to learn a new OS.

Posted via Q10RR
    08-19-14 04:19 PM
    I agree with everything you said except the end. If they kept at it with BB7 I don't think the situation with blackberry would be any different other than probably WORSE. The old plain BBOS may work for many users up to this day but the masses wont gravitate towards blackberry with an OS more than a decade old. BB10 needed to happen, did they make the right move with gestures? Probably not. I love the gestures. It makes the phone different, it gives me a different experience compared to iOS and Android. People are just lazier than they have ever been, they don't want to learn a new OS.

Posted via Q10RR
    I get your point but I think going with an Android button layout would have been much easier, also easier to implement the usual key assignment. Another thing are the live tiles is nice that you can close them by pressing the x but why not also add an option to Swype them away?

To me - and I know many don't think so - bb10 is a hybrid trying to please two different crowd that leaves both groups disappointed.

For me is not laziness it's simple an os for me.Although I'm also one of the people sticking with a working os as long as I can, ie I will for sure a *not* upgrade to win 9 and probably also not to Android l
    08-19-14 04:36 PM
    That's not a Nostalgia commercial ....

THIS IS ... no words ... no bull ... just the device and simplistic words!

^ that commercial alone spoke wonders and increased sales over the 9000 15 fold!
    What an impact!!!!!!

What a wonderful ad! And the music. I swear I know that commercial or music. Remind me of good BlackBerry times in 2011!!!! Mega Kudos for that nice gem! You raised the thread worth!

[Thread worth: $7,500.00]

Posted via CB10
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    08-19-14 07:23 PM
    I get your point but I think going with an Android button layout would have been much easier, also easier to implement the usual key assignment. Another thing are the live tiles is nice that you can close them by pressing the x but why not also add an option to Swype them away?

To me - and I know many don't think so - bb10 is a hybrid trying to please two different crowd that leaves both groups disappointed.

For me is not laziness it's simple an os for me.Although I'm also one of the people sticking with a working os as long as I can, ie I will for sure a *not* upgrade to win 9 and probably also not to Android l
    No sorry, don't get me wrong, I'm not calling you lazy, I'm calling the majority lazy, after they get used to an OS, in my opinion of course, they wouldn't have any reason to learn a new one unless they get device/OS fatigue.

And what do you mean regarding androids button layout?

Posted via Q10RR
    08-19-14 07:26 PM
    No sorry, don't get me wrong, I'm not calling you lazy, I'm calling the majority lazy, after they get used to an OS, in my opinion of course, they wouldn't have any reason to learn a new one unless they get device/OS fatigue.

And what do you mean regarding androids button layout?

Posted via Q10RR
    I know just wanted to point that out.

Button layout: a button for recent apps, home screen, back button and a menu button
    08-19-14 07:33 PM
    I know just wanted to point that out.

Button layout: a button for recent apps, home screen, back button and a menu button
    Hold on to your horses sir. When the classic is released it'll have the menu button and back button again. Beack in BBOS days, holding the Menu button brought up your recent and open apps, so they already have that. They just need to implement that into BB10. And the end call button was your return to home screen button.

And hopefully they bring all those features back with the Classic

Posted via Q10RR
    08-19-14 07:36 PM
    thanks that's why I'm waiting and hopefully it has all the other desireable features, alongside must haves such as a removable battery, sd card. If they do it right (also specwise) I think some people will upgrade.
    08-19-14 08:10 PM
    In 2011, when the iPhone hype reached soccer moms and several hipster, I decided to look for an alternative. At that time I was not a fan of Blackberry. It was a time, where you had more choices in OS and where developers developed not only for iOS and Android like nowadays.

So I looked for a Nokia. I looked also for a Blackberry, but I was not a fan of it and it was too expensive for me at that time. Nokia, had a business cell: The e-series. They had always a smartphone with a qwerty keyboard. The latest and greatest was the Nokia e6!

I had so much fun with it. Though the OS was not the best, it served my needs. Even the keyboard was okay. But the battery was awful I remember. But I loved the device. Check out this commercial wehre they tried to compete against Blackberry. So sad, the Microsoft took over now. Nokia had always great ideas:

08-20-14 07:06 AM
    My first smartphone was the 9700 and that got me hooked to Blackberry.

Q5SQR100-2/10.2.1.3247

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 07:56 AM
    My first BlackBerry was a PlayBook! I know, the mere mention of the word sends shudders through the ranks of BlackBerry fans everywhere, but I still think it was the most under-appreciated tablet of its time.

I liked the PB so much that I bought a BlackBerry Curve 8530 to try out Bridge. I ended up falling in love with the physical keyboard and trackpad.

Since then I have used a Galaxy Nexus, Lumia 521, iPhone 5, Z30, Bold 9930, Moto G, Q10, and Lumia 822.

At the end of the day, I ended up back on my 9930!

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9930 via the CB Forums app
    08-20-14 08:24 AM
    That's not a Nostalgia commercial ....

THIS IS ... no words ... no bull ... just the device and simplistic words!

^ that commercial alone spoke wonders and increased sales over the 9000 15 fold!
    Man I loved my 9700. I've since gifted it to my brother who uses it to this day.

Posted via my Pokedex
    08-20-14 10:16 AM
    I found another gem. That kind of ads, where you can't understand the recent hype having also an iPhone and Android phone along with your BlackBerry. It's just BlackBerry! Period.

08-20-14 02:01 PM
    My first BlackBerry was a PlayBook! I know, the mere mention of the word sends shudders through the ranks of BlackBerry fans everywhere, but I still think it was the most under-appreciated tablet of its time.

I liked the PB so much that I bought a BlackBerry Curve 8530 to try out Bridge. I ended up falling in love with the physical keyboard and trackpad.

Since then I have used a Galaxy Nexus, Lumia 521, iPhone 5, Z30, Bold 9930, Moto G, Q10, and Lumia 822.

At the end of the day, I ended up back on my 9930!

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9930 via the CB Forums app
    This is pretty interesting and I agree with you. I believe the playbook was VERY VERY underappreciated. I also think they made a mistake by announcing it 8 months before it was released. Look at what apple does. They announce a product and release it in a week, so the impulse buys are on super high gear.

I still use my 3 year old my playbook. I use it with my Q10. I absolutely love it and I wish this whole brand was as successful as I feel they could have been.

I'm glad you've had a pleasant experience

Posted via Q10RR
    08-20-14 07:28 PM
39 12