I remember being an iPhone consumer pioneer. Yes, thats what I call a former hardcore iPhone fan back in 2007.

Well it all started actually with the iPod in 2003. It was the best. I loved the design. Also the Macs were great, even today. The CEO at that time, Steve Jobs, and its many inventions. How they CRUSHED Microsoft were just a good thing.

So far for the story.

I loved the iPhone. The first one of course. It is the best in design. The Alu back, the form factor, etc. No chance for iPhone of today. Really, this may sound arrogant, but we were stars when the iPhone came out. Many people asked me on the street:" Is this the iPhone???" It was the first touch device which made things so simple. Check out the gems and you will see what I mean. These were the first commercials (2007) from Apple. Most of you won't know them, because with the success of the iPhone, Apple decided to make better ones. But still worth to watch:

Meet Stephano. He was tired of picking his camera, eMail device, phone and iPod around. 4 devices. With the iPhone he just need 1. And his keys, his wallet and sun glasses...

Straight to point and fun ads...

Well, then the outcome of Apples great marketing, design and long haul came out: Apple was hip!

Time to change ship when the great Steve Jobs died. Under Tim Cook many things have changed. See the commercials of Apple today. They went from fun and cool to political correct and supporting being a sissy and hipster. No new inventions.

Well, the reason I jumped ship was, that everyone had an iPhone and it was cool to bash Blackberry! I was one of them. But I am and was always for the outsiders. So I checked the BlackBerry site many times in the late 2000's. I went with a BB fanboy (co-worker) to an electronic store were he showed me the BOLD 9900! It was too expensive for me. But I knew I felt something for the BlackBerry! So I purchased a Bold 9000 at ebay and the rest is history. Later, I bought the Bold 9900 and was in heaven!

Personally, I need tools that also fit my personality. I know it sound crazy. But I am not here to make a fashion statement. So when sissys, mentally enslaved zombies...ah consumers (sorry) or hipsters jump on the hype bandwagon, I say goodbye and look for an alternative. Not in every case, but, mostly. And the Bold was business, was stealth, was black, was me!

So when most people had iPhones, I had my Bold. I was really one of the few and that was fine with me. It was the perfect device for my eMails, messages and calls. Unfortunately the downfall of BB started! It was trendy to say "Is BlackBerry still alive?".

I want you guys to remind that the BlackBerry product page for the Bold 9900 is still alive and wasn't edited much ever since:

BlackBerry Bold 9900 Overview & Bold 9900 Details - US

Take a look and see the specs, the little details. And also the product video for the Bold:

Some people are really hyping the so called "Blackberry will rise"-video with the cards, which I find mostly pathetic and bad edited. This is a really good video form BlackBerry:

At that time, when you surfed the BB site, we used to have tons of devices, right? Even the Playbook was a cool site to check. After BlackBerry had its problems, the device card have slimmed down drastically to the Z10 and Q10 in 2013 as major devices.

Now things has changed to the positive. And hopefully the passport and classic will bring the tank power, money and respect we deserve on the "tech street".

Also I hope BlackBerry keep up the good work. You see that mostly in the product pages which I really love.

If you have snippets of BlackBerry nostalgia from the past, please share them here. I will post some stuff from time to time.
    sk8er_tor, chgaida and Mr4aces like this.
    08-17-14 06:04 PM
    That's an interesting read. And it must have taken some digging to find those old clips. Thanks.
    08-18-14 08:52 AM
    That's an interesting read. And it must have taken some digging to find those old clips. Thanks.
    Thanks for the feedback, Sir. 211 views and an no comment. I was starting to get nervous. LOL!

Yeah, reminded me of the good era of BlackBerry and how times are fast-paced these days. And 2015 is just 4 months ahead. Always fun to read some stories about why and what makes you love BlackBerry.

thanks
    08-18-14 09:37 AM
    I'll pop bacl later to add an experience or two. Once the ball gets rolling I think you'll find that more people are willing to share.
    08-18-14 10:05 AM
    Great read. Thanks for posting. I love it when people see the true potential of BlackBerry instead of the specs

Be proud - BlackBerry by Choice
    08-18-14 12:06 PM
    My first smartphone ever was the Bold 9000. A friend recommended it to me. She has since switched to iphone, but I stayed with my Bold.

When my contract was up I started thinking about other phones. Kept going into AT&T to try them all. Then I saw a picture of the 9900 and fell in love!

But I waited, and waited, and waited. Meanwhile, my 9000 got older and older. AND, I started to read about something called BB10 and QNX. (I was on CB10 by then).

By the time the 9900 showed up, I had decided to wait for BB10. So my trusty 9000 had to last me 4 1/2 years till I got my Q10 in June 2013. So glad I waited! Spent the last year fending off my friends who laughed at me for having a BB. "That's so old fashioned". "BlackBerry is going out of business ". If I tried to show them how it worked, they got bored.

So now I have a Z10. Finally I can catch their attention because they don't know it's a BB :-). Most are very impressed with the keyboard and are amazed at the picture password. (I have fun with that).

I hope my next phone will be an upgrade to the Z10. The size is perfect for me. I don't want to keep going bigger.

Thanks for the old videos. Apple knows how to catch your attention!

Posted on my Q10 or Z10
    08-18-14 04:45 PM
    My first smartphone ever was the Bold 9000. A friend recommended it to me. She has since switched to iphone, but I stayed with my Bold.

When my contract was up I started thinking about other phones. Kept going into AT&T to try them all. Then I saw a picture of the 9900 and fell in love!

But I waited, and waited, and waited. Meanwhile, my 9000 got older and older. AND, I started to read about something called BB10 and QNX. (I was on CB10 by then).

By the time the 9900 showed up, I had decided to wait for BB10. So my trusty 9000 had to last me 4 1/2 years till I got my Q10 in June 2013. So glad I waited! Spent the last year fending off my friends who laughed at me for having a BB. "That's so old fashioned". "BlackBerry is going out of business ". If I tried to show them how it worked, they got bored.

So now I have a Z10. Finally I can catch their attention because they don't know it's a BB :-). Most are very impressed with the keyboard and are amazed at the picture password. (I have fun with that).

I hope my next phone will be an upgrade to the Z10. The size is perfect for me. I don't want to keep going bigger.

Thanks for the old videos. Apple knows how to catch your attention!

Posted on my Q10 or Z10
    Before I begin my nostalgic adventure....I must must must ask you a question.... you had the SAME 9000 for 4 1/2 years???? no replacements?? No issues???

Posted via Q10RR
    08-18-14 04:55 PM
    I don't expect anyone to read this completely but I thought I'd share anyway. There's a lot more detail that goes into each phone but will spare you the details lol.

I started with blackberry back in 2009 so it hasn't been THAT long. But I was 19 and I'm going on 25 now... lol.

Anyway, I was looking for my first smartphone. I wasn't sure exactly what they were but I was sick and tired of the motorola SLVR that I had.

I was looking online and came across blackberry. I remembered that a couple years beforehand my cousin used to have one, as well as some fellow classmates. I would always ask them if I could play some brickbreaker to pass the time when we would have a substitute teacher.

I was searching online and came across the 8830 World Edition. I loved the look of it. I absolutely loved the size and I wanted it badly. When I was watching a review of it...I woke up. It didn't have a camera. My hopes and dreams of the perfect cell phone felt like it was coming to an end. I asked my sister what she thought of it since it didn't have a camera. She stopped pulled out her phone and said " I have one". It was the Curve 8330. I bought one on ebay the next day $40 under its average price. I caught the bidding in the middle of the day so I bought it for $115.00

Eventually when it came in the mail I scoured crackberry forums and couldn't put the thing down. December came and the anticipation for Blackberry 5.0 from 4.7 couldn't be more ahead of the boiling point. Leaks were popping up by the two's and three's almost every day and seeing your device pop up there made you bring up desktop manager right away and start downloading the next leaked OS. That Christmas, the new leaked OS's were the best Christmas gift it seemed. (although they weren't, family time was lol)

I'm not sure if it was almost 2 years or even less than a year later I upgraded to the 8530 for barely a week. I was at a Christmas party when a friend of the family pulls out this cool looking metal keyboard lined blackberry. I needed to touch it. I wasn't so "IN" and " in the know" with the new blackberry devices so I didn't know anything about what I learned to be the Blackberry Tour.

I returned the 8530 curve and got myself the Tour. It was gorgeous, which was the only reason I did the trade, except the lack of wifi. I hated that. After some time with the 9630 I then bought the 9650, one of the greatest blackberry devices I have ever owned. It added wifi and a cool lopsided trackpad but I loved it anyhow. I wrote 4 college papers in one day with that thing!!

I took a break from blackberry and bought myself a palm pre plus. (I still think webOS could have been something very special.) the keys ended up being too small so I went back to my blackberry and upgraded again! But....

...then there was another break where I purchased an iphone, an experience I'm glad I went through so I don't do it a third time.

Six months after being exposed to iphone I bought myself a 9930. But unfortunately, something brought me back to iphone, what was it again? Oh yeah, I fell into the siri gimmick. So I had two devices with two different phone numbers. A 9930 and an iphone 4s. After a little while the 9930 quit working and I sold it for parts on ebay. Then shortly thereafter, i went back to blackberry. The Q10. The salespeople at verizon couldn't quit asking me why I was going to blackberry. It was pretty irritating after being asked the same question about idk eleventeen times?

I then left the Q10, it was a sad moment. I was changing carriers, from verizon to tmobile. Tmobile didn't carry the Q10 anymore, they were out of stock. So I bought the galaxy note 3. I had it for about 7 or 8 months. I learned to be wiser with my money but I couldn't stand typing on a touchscreen anymore. I couldn't stand the dullness of the OS, so I bought myself a Q10 on amazon for $219.00.

I'm here typing away on my Q10 and I couldn't be happier with it. It's been a long journey and I could have said so much more about my experiences but I don't want to bore you TOO much.

If you got this far, thanks for reading

Posted via Q10RR
    08-18-14 05:45 PM
    Before I begin my nostalgic adventure....I must must must ask you a question.... you had the SAME 9000 for 4 1/2 years???? no replacements?? No issues???

Posted via Q10RR
    When I first got the 9000 I did have 2 replacements. I don't remember why I replaced the first one, but it was in the first few months. The second one had a stuck P/@ key, but we noticed that in the AT&T store, and they went in the back and got another one. That one still works!
    I did have some issues :
    Had to reboot or do battery pulls more often as it got older. (sometimes every day)
    If I wanted to put in a new app, I had to remove an old one as it had very little internal memory.
    The speaker wasn't loud enough.
    One of the buttons on the side stopped working.

Otherwise, the battery was good (I also had a battery and charger bundle), calling, texting, and email was great. It had reader mode, Kindle app worked great. Camera pretty good for the times, and everything on the SD card was good. Contacts better than BB10, but I didn't have as many or as detailed contacts.

Now I'll read yours:-)

Posted on my Q10 or Z10
    08-18-14 06:15 PM
    I still say the Bold 9900 was a terrible phone. It was a step back from the 9000 in every way.
    08-18-14 07:11 PM
    I still say the Bold 9900 was a terrible phone. It was a step back from the 9000 in every way.
    What do you think was lacking or missing? Just curious

Posted via Q10RR
    08-18-14 07:18 PM
    What do you think was lacking or missing? Just curious

Posted via Q10RR
    It had a worse battery, didn't have the stereo speakers, a very small improvement in camera (which wasn't saying much), and to me just didn't feel as elegant or sturdy as the 9000 did in the hand.

I don't know, to me the last great legacy device was the 9000 and after that the legacy devices were just Bolds that tried but never lived up to the 9000.
    08-18-14 07:23 PM
    It had a worse battery, didn't have the stereo speakers, a very small improvement in camera (which wasn't saying much), and to me just didn't feel as elegant or sturdy as the 9000 did in the hand.

I don't know, to me the last great legacy device was the 9000 and after that the legacy devices were just Bolds that tried but never lived up to the 9000.
    I think the thinner these phones are getting the less sturdy they're becoming. I didn't care to have a thick phone in the tour or bold. I actually prefer it. It feels better in the hand. I never had the 9000, was on verizon for a very long time so never got to experience it. 9930 I agree didn't feel very sturdy. I felt like dropping it would be the end. But that battery never gave me an issue, battery life was great.

Elegance was unmatched though. I think the 99xx was one of the prettiest devices that blackberry ever released.

Posted via Q10RR
    08-18-14 07:50 PM
    I think the thinner these phones are getting the less sturdy they're becoming. I didn't care to have a thick phone in the tour or bold. I actually prefer it. It feels better in the hand. I never had the 9000, was on verizon for a very long time so never got to experience it. 9930 I agree didn't feel very sturdy. I felt like dropping it would be the end. But that battery never gave me an issue, battery life was great.

Elegance was unmatched though. I think the 99xx was one of the prettiest devices that blackberry ever released.

Posted via Q10RR
    I do agree it was a good looking device, and I did like the trackpad and the glow around it (although I loved switching back and forth between a black and white trackball on the 9000.

I also agree with the thinness you discussed. The thinner they get the less sturdy they feel to me.

It's too bad you never got to use the 9000. That phone was ahead of it's time and the speakers back then were fantastic.
    08-18-14 07:53 PM
    I do agree it was a good looking device, and I did like the trackpad and the glow around it (although I loved switching back and forth between a black and white trackball on the 9000.

I also agree with the thinness you discussed. The thinner they get the less sturdy they feel to me.

It's too bad you never got to use the 9000. That phone was ahead of it's time and the speakers back then were fantastic.
    God honest truth I want to buy one just to have. Just to use it for a day. But they haven't depreciated in a while lol. I want the 9000, a 99xx and another Q10 and I'm set.

Posted via Q10RR
    08-18-14 07:57 PM
    The 9900 has a great build and a good battery life for me. Camera could been way better and needed the LTE speed. But everything else was fine

Posted via CB10
    08-18-14 08:00 PM
    The 9900 has a great build and a good battery life for me. Camera could been way better and needed the LTE speed. But everything else was fine

Posted via CB10
    It was great looking yes, but would you feel more comfortable if it fell compared to a 9000? Idk. If I had to pick a phone to survive it would be the 9000 over the 99xx all day. The 96xx series were also very very rugged phones.

Posted via Q10RR
    08-18-14 08:09 PM
    It was great looking yes, but would you feel more comfortable if it fell compared to a 9000? Idk. If I had to pick a phone to survive it would be the 9000 over the 99xx all day. The 96xx series were also very very rugged phones.

Posted via Q10RR
    I started with the 9800 so I have no clue lol

Posted via CB10
    08-18-14 08:34 PM
    You're still part of the legacy crew lol

Posted via Q10RR
    08-18-14 08:51 PM
    Great story till today I can't understand why BB decided to create another OS and go away from that perfect form factor.

Also I never understood the bashing of peoples choices some like the Iphone, Samsung, BB, WP others don( as long as you are happy with your phone choice all is well.

Sent from my BlackBerry
    08-18-14 09:59 PM
    Great story till today I can't understand why BB decided to create another OS and go away from that perfect form factor.

Also I never understood the bashing of peoples choices some like the Iphone, Samsung, BB, WP others don( as long as you are happy with your phone choice all is well.

Sent from my BlackBerry
    There wouldn't be a company without a new OS, as much as many people want BBOS back over BB10, it won't happen. Blackberry is trying to appeal to the masses again and going backwards isn't going to help them. I don't care much for apps or anything like that but I find that BB10 is just as functional, if not more so than BBOS. For me at least.

Posted via Q10RR
    08-18-14 10:27 PM

With the 9000 I never used a case. Just naked in the holster. Love the leather back. My Q10 and Z10 have soft cases. Too slippery naked. They are pretty, though!

Posted on my Q10 or Z10
    08-19-14 07:48 AM
    That's not a Nostalgia commercial ....

THIS IS ... no words ... no bull ... just the device and simplistic words!

^ that commercial alone spoke wonders and increased sales over the 9000 15 fold!
    08-19-14 12:10 PM
    There wouldn't be a company without a new OS, as much as many people want BBOS back over BB10, it won't happen. Blackberry is trying to appeal to the masses again and going backwards isn't going to help them. I don't care much for apps or anything like that but I find that BB10 is just as functional, if not more so than BBOS. For me at least.

Posted via Q10RR
    The problem is the masses have moved on and they are a very fragile bunch. Some are going to change their phone and os very often while others are sticking to one brand no matter what (ie Apple, Samsung)

The problem with bb10 are the gestures, walled garden approach, immaturity and of course not allowing skins or different launchers. So it's a system that doesn't feature the options the mass market desires nor offer the usual BlackBerry experience.

I'm not naive so I know it won't happen and that's why some of us are still hanging on the legacy devices. I've posted somewhere that a phone needs more than the return of tool belts.

I don't know what went wrong but Chen should have taken the bold and just improved the specs, there are many reasons why the q10 didn't sell not just the tool belt.

When it comes to hard and software I'm a big believer in the if it's not broken don't fix it mantra.
    08-19-14 12:54 PM
    The problem is the masses have moved on and they are a very fragile bunch. Some are going to change their phone and os very often while others are sticking to one brand no matter what (ie Apple, Samsung)

The problem with bb10 are the gestures, walled garden approach, immaturity and of course not allowing skins or different launchers. So it's a system that doesn't feature the options the mass market desires nor offer the usual BlackBerry experience.

I'm not naive so I know it won't happen and that's why some of us are still hanging on the legacy devices. I've posted somewhere that a phone needs more than the return of tool belts.

I don't know what went wrong but Chen should have taken the bold and just improved the specs, there are many reasons why the q10 didn't sell not just the tool belt.

When it comes to hard and software I'm a big believer in the if it's not broken don't fix it mantra.
    They can't improve the specs for BB7 devices. The old OS doesn't support multi core processors. So yes it was broken... and BB10 was literally built from scratch. Every known feature in BBOS would need to be recoded.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    08-19-14 01:08 PM
39 12