Windows 10 may soon be able to run Android apps | MobileSyrup.com

windows phone may run android apps in the near future. BlackBerry must be mad about it.
    They have no choice now but to update their hardware if they want to stay competitive ( camera for instance). it would be there only way to have a advantage except the hub which could be available on android and IOS.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Michelasmar; 04-28-15 at 10:23 PM.
    Supa_Fly1 and ssbtech like this.
    04-28-15 08:36 PM
    Windows 10 may soon be able to run Android apps | MobileSyrup.com

windows phone may run android apps in the near future. BlackBerry must be mad about it.
    They have no choice now but to update their hardware if they want to stay competitive ( camera for instance). it would be there only way to have a a advantage except the hub which could available on android and IOS.

Posted via CB10
    I said this awhile back in a comment.. but interesting
    04-28-15 08:45 PM
    I think a lot of people have stated this in a comment. LoL

BlackBerry needs to up their game big time if they want even just the slightest chance to stay in the mix.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 09:24 PM
    Well from yesterday's interviews Mr. Chen hinted about some upcoming changes in app's and other issues along with new hardware so I do feel some interesting times are ahead...Rocking 24-7 with my Z10 & 64GB PlayBook
    04-28-15 09:43 PM
    I am enjoying my Passport the way it is. Everything works fine for me. Dont really understand why you say these things about improving camera etc. I think if a quad core , 8 gigs of ram 4k, 24 meg camera BlackBerry came to the market, people will still be saying they want 10-12 gigs of ram, 6k movie recording, ios apps, 50 meg camera etc

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.500
    04-28-15 09:56 PM
    Even though the rumor is from a good source I'm still skeptical that this will happen. If it does I wonder if they will also ask Amazon to add them to WinPhone or will they try and use their muscle to get Android devs to put their apks into the Windows app store.
    04-28-15 10:05 PM
    If Windows can run Android then I might consider getting the Lumia 930. Great camera, great design, fast, cheaper than the Classic.

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    04-29-15 12:25 AM
    Meh, I will still stick with BlackBerry for its physical keyboard.

And BlackBerry 10 is so unique that there are so many things I would be giving up by going to another os

Posted via CB10
    thymaster, tomsobon and mk2234 like this.
    04-29-15 01:00 AM
    ^ above ^

keyboard will keep us here, so yeah.

Posted from q10, excuse me for not having any typos.
    04-29-15 01:08 AM
    No sweat. I welcome competitions. Company that stride for greatness and open to change will set the technology bar higher for tomorrows future.

Blackberry and Windows have different UI and users experiences. Between them people will go to what is more fitting for them not because one is trying to match the competition with equivalent amount of apps. Obviously I pick Blackberry because I enjoy PKB, the HUB, Wide screen, security, efficiency and ease of use. Unfortunately Windows doesn't offer me the same experience as a BlackBerry so I don't see myself or may others on here flocking to get a Nokia phone soon.
    Alvin Loh, Ealaionta and Tim-ANC like this.
    04-29-15 01:38 AM
    This won't tempt me to a windows phone. That UI just comes across as so dorkish, whereas BB10 looks professional.

Posted via CB10 from BlackBerry Passport
    Tim-ANC and TheAuthority like this.
    04-29-15 02:28 AM
    I just love my Z30. Well built , a beauty. Smooth, fast and secure.

  
    TheAuthority likes this.
    04-29-15 02:34 AM
    BlackBerry hasn't been the only one for quite some time, Jolla supported Android apps right from the beginning, their phone released two years ago.

Besides those rumours aren't new and they appear every few months. I remember reading them when I was still using Windows Phone a year ago

Posted via CB10
    04-29-15 02:41 AM
    The problem is that so far, noone succeeded in the western world with Android without Google play services. The runtime in BB10 is working for BB loyalists and their app needs, but it did very very very little to help increase sales to general consumers.

My prediction is that the same thing will happen with WP10: it will fill the app needs of loyal customers but will not greatly increase WP10 sales.

As a side-effect it might actually push Google to force Google play services integration on all apps in its own store which will hurt both BB10 and WP10.
    JRF_1986 and techvisor like this.
    04-29-15 05:51 AM
    Well this is old news but.. BlackBerry has a lot that windows phone don't have or will never have. Security for one amazing keyboard is another.

Send from the amazing powers of the  Z30
    04-29-15 07:04 AM
    The problem is that so far, noone succeeded in the western world with Android without Google play services. The runtime in BB10 is working for BB loyalists and their app needs, but it did very very very little to help increase sales to general consumers.
    Because general customers don't know that BlackBerry still exists.....let alone have Android apps. BB could include a gold nugget with every phone but that won't help sales either if they don't bother to tell anyone.

My prediction is that the same thing will happen with WP10: it will fill the app needs of loyal customers but will not greatly increase WP10 sales.
    Unless they use their marketing budget to actually tell people about it. I'm guessing they will.

As a side-effect it might actually push Google to force Google play services integration on all apps in its own store which will hurt both BB10 and WP10.
    Yep, that could happen. But I'm wondering why it hasn't already happened. Perhaps there is a reason why Google would like to avoid that scenario.
    Ealaionta likes this.
    04-29-15 08:07 AM
    I am enjoying my Passport the way it is. Everything works fine for me.
    Yes, just like audiophiles sometimes are so hung up on their sound system specs, and how many audio files they have collected, that they forget to enjoy the music. BB10s are the ultimate communication tools, with a slick OS, and their apps, cameras, GPS etc are fine with me too. Are we the silent majority of users?

TCB on Z10
    MikeX74 likes this.
    04-29-15 08:33 AM
    Yep, that could happen. But I'm wondering why it hasn't already happened. Perhaps there is a reason why Google would like to avoid that scenario.
    I think it's because BB is so small that it doesn't matter and sales haven't exactly increased since BB10 supported installing APKs. But BB10+WP10 might be big enough (and WP actually sells more devices year-to-year) to make google take action.
    04-29-15 08:35 AM
    I see the problem and answer being one in the same "Marketing". Market the advantages of a more secure platform and OS. The reasons for Businesses and Government Agencies using BlackBerry was based on it's marketing of a more secure platform. They need to reinforce that aspect to the average consumer, through aggressive advertising. In a world where phones are using software permission protocols just to gain access to your personal information to compile and sell your info to third parties, how welcome would a safer alternative be. Have you ever asked your why simply video games needs access to all your files, or permission to access your phone log? That's what makes Google Now and Cortona so effective. They're so quick, because they're continuously accessing and storing information. Blackphone has recognized the need for phone security and is starting to full the niche. BlackBerry need to take note and advertise the advantages that they already have.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-15 08:40 AM
    Why are people still warrying about security?
    Blackberry has fips 140-2, Windows has fips 140-2 and all nine levels of cryptography certification.
    04-29-15 09:47 AM
    Meh, I will still stick with BlackBerry for its physical keyboard.

And BlackBerry 10 is so unique that there are so many things I would be giving up by going to another os

Posted via CB10
    Not so unique anymore as some BB service will be on other phone in the future...ex: hub
    04-29-15 10:20 AM
    From the Verge story it appears MS is making it possible to port in IOS and Android apps the apps don't run in a runtime tho like Blackberry its more a conversion to Windows Universal app. They are also making it easier for websites to essentially make a app wrapper version of their site that will also allow notification handling.

Wonder if the conversion would be easy enough for the DIYer to do with the development tools so you could have specific Android apps even if the dev chooses not to port.
    04-29-15 01:24 PM
    From the Verge story it appears MS is making it possible to port in IOS and Android apps the apps don't run in a runtime tho like Blackberry its more a conversion to Windows Universal app. They are also making it easier for websites to essentially make a app wrapper version of their site that will also allow notification handling.

Wonder if the conversion would be easy enough for the DIYer to do with the development tools so you could have specific Android apps even if the dev chooses not to port.
    I don't think so. I watched the keynote and from what I got, you still need the source code of an iOS or Android app, transform it into a Visual Studio project, change a few things here and there and it will compile as a Windows 10 app. No Android runtime required.

As a developer myself, the solution is an interesting one, but I am not ye truly convinced that all big-name app devs will jump ship. But the allure of write once, run on all windows devices is very enticing.
    04-29-15 01:47 PM
    I am enjoying my Passport the way it is. Everything works fine for me. Dont really understand why you say these things about improving camera etc. I think if a quad core , 8 gigs of ram 4k, 24 meg camera BlackBerry came to the market, people will still be saying they want 10-12 gigs of ram, 6k movie recording, ios apps, 50 meg camera etc

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.500
    All that matters is whether people will buy it. The verdict is already in on how big the demand is for your pefect current model passport
    04-29-15 02:47 PM
    I find the Passport perfect for my needs. I'm sure many others would too if they knew about the features of this phone. BlackBerry has never, in it's history, been a marketing driven company and never will.

 Passport Rocks 
    Madhuchandran likes this.
    04-29-15 03:02 PM
35 12