Hello Everyone!

Just upgraded to a Blackberry 8900 from a sidekick slide and luv it! I'm doing a research paper for my Information Security class on mobile device security and was wondering if anyone was interested in answering a few questions. Your input would be greatly appreciated!

Here are the questions:

Do you have any security concerns when using your Blackberry, especially when you using for business purposes or for secure communication?

Are you worried about any vulnerabilities such as viruses or malware affecting your device?

How important was security when choosing a smartphone?

Do you feel that President Obama should have been allowed to keep his Blackberry considering the security concerns? Why or why not?

Have you ever been the victim of a malicious attack to your mobie device?

Thanks in Advance!
    Proud 8900 User
    Last edited by AlexisJ; 04-20-09 at 02:31 PM.
    04-20-09 02:17 PM
    a blackberry is very secure.. as far as i know they have never been hacked..
    just because a blackberry cant be hacked doesnt mean that obama's email addy cant be hacked, thats probably hwy it was taken away..
    04-20-09 02:20 PM
    I feel secure w/my blackberry & if you are hooked up to a BES server & lose it, it can be wiped remotely...plus if the person enters the wrong password 1-10 (depending on your specifications) time incorrectly, it erases for ya

I am less worried about viruses b/c hackers have limitations on mobile devices & the networks all filter quite well

I feel Obama's blackberry is safe...no one will access the account & keep their job PLUS the really secure information wouldn't be on his device anyway

Never been a victim...I mean are there any? lol
    04-20-09 02:37 PM
    Hello Everyone!

Just upgraded to a Blackberry 8900 from a sidekick slide and luv it! I'm doing a research paper for my Information Security class on mobile device security and was wondering if anyone was interested in answering a few questions. Your input would be greatly appreciated!

Here are the questions:

Do you have any security concerns when using your Blackberry, especially when you using for business purposes or for secure communication?

None whatsoever. I find it to be a very secure device. If not, the best secure device out on the market today. I have never had any issues with security. The fact that my device will wipe after 10 bad passcode attempts makes me feel better if I were to ever lose my phone.

Are you worried about any vulnerabilities such as viruses or malware affecting your device?

No I'm not. Only because I haven't seen this case (yet).

Very. Once I really needed to utlitlize my phone for work, it became a priority.

Do you feel that President Obama should have been allowed to keep his Blackberry considering the security concerns? Why or why not?

No. I don't think any president should have a cell phone period. It's a security issue to me. And the fact that his emails go through RIM servers, which is in Canada, makes me feel uncomfortable.

Have you ever been the victim of a malicious attack to your mobie device?

As in criticized? Yeah I get the crap from iPhone guy here and there.

Thanks in Advance!
    Proud 8900 User
    I went ahead and added my answers within your quote. They're in bold.
    04-20-09 02:54 PM
    I use a BB for work, its the defacto corporate cell that is given out (I have my own personal one).

I see the BB as being quite secure. All apps that run on the BB MUST be installed. No apps are run from the SD card so the user know what is and isn't installed on their device. This makes it hard to have malware/virus sent via email, still requires an "install".

All my work email is sent to my BB so security is important as I work in the Private Sector and email most likely will contain Intelectual Property, as well as info about customers. I have a passcode on my SIM card so on power up to even gain access to my phone book you need a password. I also have a pass on my BB so all my data is secure.

As for the president having a BB, I think they are perfect for that type of "customer". Having 3 DES and AES encryption algorithms built in the BB is very secure for communications and that is why the US and many other governments use them as their sole cellular device.

I have not been a victim to attacks via my cell but I treat my BB as any personal info, no one can have access to it unless extremely neccisary. I have had cells stolen before but until my BB I really didn't keep much data on it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-20-09 03:39 PM
    Thank you so much Everyone!
    04-20-09 07:27 PM
    Here are the questions:

No

No

Wasn't even a consideration

Could not care less

Have you ever been the victim of a malicious attack to your mobile device?

Never
    Good luck with your research and welcome to Crackberry
    04-20-09 07:49 PM
    My answers are the same as those previously expressed by AG. The man speaks truth.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-20-09 07:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD