Does anyone else think that it would be a good idea for blackberry to look into a Microsoft merger? Android is picking up speed, iOS is number one (for now). Windows phones are still far behind the game. With the great hardware that RIM has to offer combined with a relatively good OS, you got a huge competer.

Any thoughts??
    Last edited by sublime670; 10-12-11 at 11:22 AM.
    10-12-11 10:58 AM
    My thought: "Not sure if serious."
    Dugganm likes this.
    10-12-11 01:41 PM
    I think Microsoft has partnered with Nokia and that shows their position on buying a handset maker - they are not interested.

Windows Phone 7 isn't going to take off anytime soon. It's actually loosing market share, and I do not see one brand making a difference.

In terms for the average user who doesn't know all about different OS's. What really would make him or her go for a Windows phone instead of a Android device or an iPhone? For the BlackBerry there is a few things such as the qwerty keyboard. But why buy the unknown when Google is so dominant? I personally wouldn't buy a WP7 when I can buy an Android phone which has more to offer for the same price.

And whoever thinks a 4.7" PHONE is something reasonable should really consider what a phone is. Is there anyone who would put that in their shirt pocket, jean pocket, or any pocket? What is the battery life going to be like on what is essentially a mini tablet?

WP7 will drift away, and become the OS for the tablet revolution which is coming.
    jlarose670 likes this.
    10-12-11 01:51 PM
    Rim didn't buy QNX and other related businesses to merge it all together with Microsoft.
    jlarose670 likes this.
    10-12-11 01:55 PM
    And whoever thinks a 4.7" PHONE is something reasonable should really consider what a phone is. Is there anyone who would put that in their shirt pocket, jean pocket, or any pocket? What is the battery life going to be like on what is essentially a mini tablet?
    Just a little perspective: I carry a HTC Sensation which has a 4.3 inch screen. One of my main complaints of BB as my daily driver was that the screen was too tiny. My eyesight is pretty bad, and I needed that extra screen real estate. Battery life is continuing to improve, as well. When I got my first Android phone, the Samsung Vibrant, I had to charge it twice a day. Now, over a year later, my current device makes it a full day. Sometimes I give it a lil charge if I'm going out with my friends on weekends.

As far as RIM getting gobbled up my M$, I don't think that's necessary. If RIM plays each and every one of their cards right in releasing QNX phones that appeal to the masses I think they can make a comeback on their own.
    jlarose670 likes this.
    10-12-11 02:01 PM
    They should merge with amazon for content purposes
    jlarose670 likes this.
    10-12-11 02:08 PM
    Some interesting points here. If RIM does put all of its eggs in one basket with QNX and comes up short, I think having another options for an OS would be a smart idea -- at least in the short term. Unfortunately, RIM is falling behind in the moble market, just like Windows phones. RIM already offers great integration with the Microsoft Office Suite, so it would seem to be a rather smooth integration. This could also be a selling point for RIM with business professionals.
    SDRLS likes this.
    10-12-11 06:04 PM
    No. I like BB OS. If they switch to another OS, that's one less reason to return...
    jlarose670 likes this.
    10-12-11 06:10 PM
    No. Linux would be a great choice, as you wouldn't have delayed security updates spanning two weeks. Updates on most distros get put out minutes or hours after they're found and corrected, new kernel updates are released every second week. What about windows? I haven't seen it been that fast, ever. I run it on a partition and in a VM. Now walking about BB OS, it should stay, until another better OS can be suited (QNX, etc.) for future devices. Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-12-11 08:04 PM
    It never fails someone always brings up *nix.
    jlarose670 likes this.
    10-12-11 08:06 PM
    Google took the linux Route (Android) and we all see how that went. I think Linux is only best suited for Desktop uses and not Mobile
    10-12-11 08:23 PM
    I just got my BB a few weeks ago, came from a Desire HD and that had a pretty large screen at 4.3in, It was nice having a big screen and it fit perfectly into any pocket, But, The battery was probably the worst I have ever had on a phone I had to charge it every day which was kind of annoying, After gettin my BB I now couldn't imagine going back to anything else.

But anyway back to the point of this thread, WP7 - No thanks.
    10-13-11 07:39 AM
    No. I like BB OS. If they switch to another OS, that's one less reason to return...
    I mean... they switched to QNX...

so.... bye.
    10-13-11 07:43 AM
    I think Microsoft has partnered with Nokia and that shows their position on buying a handset maker - they are not interested.

Windows Phone 7 isn't going to take off anytime soon. It's actually loosing market share, and I do not see one brand making a difference.

In terms for the average user who doesn't know all about different OS's. What really would make him or her go for a Windows phone instead of a Android device or an iPhone? For the BlackBerry there is a few things such as the qwerty keyboard. But why buy the unknown when Google is so dominant? I personally wouldn't buy a WP7 when I can buy an Android phone which has more to offer for the same price.

WP7 will drift away, and become the OS for the tablet revolution which is coming.
    That's why a tablet is so welcome to me I can carry my phone to use as a "shock" phone and have the other functions but the screen is too small for me to feel like really doing much else on it. A larger phone is still too small for me and who want's to hold a massive brick up to their ear or hold it out using the speaker, not me.

Perfect combo a bb and playbook with bridge best of both worlds.

As far as win7 nope QNX/BBX is going to shine. As for linux maybe I'm not techie enough but think I am, I've tried it on my desktop several different times and several different flavors and while I like the openness of it, it is a struggle to get everything working and kernel updates seem to always break something.
    10-13-11 08:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD