I'm surprised by the number of non-US Citizens and US Citizens that are shocked and upset at the revelations that the NSA, who is chartered with the mission of signals intelligence and analysis, has been trying to gather as much signals intelligence and information as possible. Especially with terrorist events like the Oklahoma City bombing, 9/11, Boston Marathon, etc. that were operations conducted in the US, people still are so paranoid about things that it has a huge opportunity that BlackBerry is leaving on the table. Every country does this and has organizations that are just like the NSA and are chartered with doing the same things, the US is just really good at it and has huge amount of resources invested in it. Cash in on the paranoia and fear BlackBerry. Run some commercials about how secure BB10 is compared to the competition, mention peoples privacy, bring up the amount of data that the makers of "free" OS's collect about them and share with everyone, including probably governments, stress how security isn't added on to the platform but it was designed in from the ground up. Scared (and/or ignorant) people are easy targets to make money off of. Look at how much firearm ammunition is right now in the US because people have created a huge demand and supply shortages out of fear of what the government might do. At the same time you should be running commercials showing the apps and functions that BB10 has available for entertainment and games so people know that you are both secure and can do things the other platforms are known for. I don't want this to get into Apple or Google is just is secure debate, I'm purely bringing up that BlackBerry's strongest perception over the competition has always been security and now is an opportunity to exploit that perception. BlackBerry's marketing team needs to be nimble and adjust to current situations. Most consumers didn't care about security or privacy when BB10 launched, but now that there is an uproar from segments in the market about this BlackBerry should be adjusting and targeting this, while still working on building the image that the phone can do a lot of cool and fun stuff too.
    09-13-13 09:13 AM
    Well the NSA has cracked BlackBerry's encryption as of late, so cashing in on the security features would be a lie now.

Posted via CB10
    Donvald and Poirots Progeny like this.
    09-13-13 09:23 AM
    Marketing campaign based on fear.

Brilliant.
    09-13-13 09:27 AM
    Actually, and leaving aside the NSA, BB10 is not more secure than other platforms, at least for the consumer or average user. Real security for BB10 is available only with a BES10 server. BIS is gone. So you connect to your email servers the same way that an iPhone or Android device does.
    09-13-13 09:49 AM
    The NSA and FBI had enough intelligence to disrupt the 9/11 plot but failed. Unless everyone on crackberry is a spy, terrorist or international criminal, quit worrying

Posted via CB10
    BBPandy, kbz1960 and Thunderbuck like this.
    09-13-13 10:01 AM
    This is an area I think BlackBerry is missing out on. To be able to offer a more secure network to not only BlackBerry users but to Droid and IPhones.

But they are stuck with legacy users on the NOC and BB10 not bring able to work with it as it is now.

Another Mike L. bad move that is costing BlackBerry.

They could then come out with a BlackBerry tweaked secure version of Android OS. Folks could install it on their Droid and be more secure using the BlackBerry secure network.

Iphone could have apps developed by BlackBerry to help make email etc. more secure using the BlackBerry secure network.

The secure network would be basicly BES10. It could allow users to set up their own BES of sorts. For a nominal fee. Income source for BlackBerry which is currently fading.

Lots of possibilities, but it would take cash, time and talent. None of which I think BlackBerry has much left of without a partner or owner with deep pockets .

Posted via a Verizon Z10. 10.2.0.1443
    Last edited by trsbbs; 09-13-13 at 10:34 AM.
    09-13-13 10:21 AM
    The NSA and FBI had enough intelligence to disrupt the 9/11 plot but failed. Unless everyone on crackberry is a spy, terrorist or international criminal, quit worrying

Posted via CB10
    exactly. It wasn't due to lack of intelligence. It was due to failing to act on that intelligence & failure of the agencies to work together.

All this extra spying is just an excuse
    09-13-13 11:10 AM
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/stor...sek-video.html

Apparently Misek is convinced that the NSA was unable to hack BlackBerry. Not sure how an analyst comes by this info - but probably as reliable as the general media. Still - if more people see that headline it leaves a better impression. Lol.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-13 11:33 AM
    And I don?t think it's a marketing advantage for any mainstream comms company to set themselves up as being capable of thwarting state security! Every player in the market will ultimately comply with the prevailing disclosure laws - it's how open they are about it with customers that matters. I don't mind if NSA can access my files as long as there's an open process for them to follow that BlackBerry etc make public

Posted via CB10
    09-13-13 11:34 AM
    Actually, and leaving aside the NSA, BB10 is not more secure than other platforms, at least for the consumer or average user. Real security for BB10 is available only with a BES10 server. BIS is gone. So you connect to your email servers the same way that an iPhone or Android device does.
    Well the OS is the only one that is FIPS approved for all BB10 devices and on the current revision of Software. Apple doesn't have the approval for the 5 or the latest iPad. Also marketing is not all about the truth, it is somewhat about perception.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-13 11:42 AM
    Maybe they can't because they are really in cahoots with them... hahahaha, biggest plot twist ever

Posted via CB10
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    09-13-13 11:46 AM
    And I don?t think it's a marketing advantage for any mainstream comms company to set themselves up as being capable of thwarting state security! Every player in the market will ultimately comply with the prevailing disclosure laws - it's how open they are about it with customers that matters. I don't mind if NSA can access my files as long as there's an open process for them to follow that BlackBerry etc make public

Posted via CB10
    You can say privacy without implying state security. I personally could care less if the NSA is watching my comms, but there are plenty of wing nuts out there that are losing there minds over these revelations and I think that BlackBerry should be exploiting every opportunity to make a buck and move Bb10 devices. That's all.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-13 11:46 AM
    The prevalence of malware on other platforms alone makes BB10 more secure. BBM is also more secure than other platforms, though they will soon share it.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-13-13 12:05 PM
    Not entirely true, the platforms IP is what determines security, however BES10 in itself is an additional layer of secure infrastructure.
    09-13-13 12:30 PM
    The prevalence of malware on other platforms alone makes BB10 more secure. BBM is also more secure than other platforms, though they will soon share it.
    And where does the Android malware that everyone is so worried about come from? Oh, yeah, from people who are SIDELOADING apps obtained from places other than the Google Play store. That doesn't sound like anything a BB10 user would do, right? Oh, wait...
    09-13-13 12:43 PM
    And where does the Android malware that everyone is so worried about come from? Oh, yeah, from people who are SIDELOADING apps obtained from places other than the Google Play store. That doesn't sound like anything a BB10 user would do, right? Oh, wait...
    Umm there's thousands of apps IN the Google Play Store that have malware. Look at those mass purges Google does every now & then.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-13 12:45 PM
    Not sure how the BlackBerry is more secure. Most consumers use Yahoo, Outlook.com, Gmail etc...and the NSA has backdoors in place to read mails from those companies. No need to snoop on your phone when they can pull the data from the servers.
    09-13-13 01:46 PM
    BlackBerry's 'NSA-proof' encryption a valuable asset for buyers - Business - CBC News

Apparently Misek is convinced that the NSA was unable to hack BlackBerry. Not sure how an analyst comes by this info - but probably as reliable as the general media. Still - if more people see that headline it leaves a better impression. Lol.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think they actually hacked BES encryption. I think they found a means to intercept e-mails somewhere else in the chain IN CERTAIN SPECIFIC CIRCUMSTANCES, likely relating to misconfigured e-mail infrastructure.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    09-13-13 01:48 PM
    But why have the NSA leaked information about they cracking peoples phones?
    09-13-13 05:55 PM
    Umm there's thousands of apps IN the Google Play Store that have malware. Look at those mass purges Google does every now & then.

Posted via CB10
    How many apps in the play store are never downloaded?
    Just how many android users have been affected by malware from the play store?

Posted via CB10
    09-13-13 07:26 PM
    Yeah but it still keeps out the bugs while causing problems for the consumers (reboots). Well at least with the original software. Sometimes it would do a full security wipe on its own to keep info from getting into the wrong hands (this actually happened to someone before).

Posted via CB10
    09-13-13 11:07 PM
    Encryption will always be attached by all intelligence gathering groups interested in need to know data... This has been going on since communications has been around and will continue long after we're gone... If you did not know the British are the best at it... With that said Big Brother watches and listens to all...

How often do you upload photos to instagram or Facebook and it ask you to tag people in the photos... Where do you think that tag goes? If you've been in an airport, train station or bus terminal in the past 5 years you face is in a recognition data base... The more times you appear the easier it is to identify you...

Stop worrying about NSA unless you have illegal activities going on! On that note I hope you're smart enough to conduct those activities with a throw-away (burner).

Use your phone and enjoy it... Please do me a huge favor and stop tagging your friends in photos... All you're doing is helping BIG Brother..

Z10
    STL100-3
    OS 10.1.0.2019
    09-13-13 11:28 PM
    I can�t disagree more to the first part of your statement (your NSA point of view) - so I�m surprised by myself that your conclusions (BBRY marketing and cashing in on paranoia) even receives a lot more disagreement from my side! Here on CB is a thread about an carrier advertising (AT+T?) - which connects 9/11 to Blackberry Z10 - happy reading...

ANY kind of FUD marketing will become a shoot into your OWN foot sooner or later (in this case: sooner)

discloser: I�m German and not involved in any of the attacks you mentioned
    Gene Ellison likes this.
    09-14-13 02:36 AM
    Marketing this way is not necessary. It's pretty well known that BlackBerry is very secure, which is why many businesses choose BlackBerry as their primary phone. Stressing this image further will not increase sales. And anyways, how are they going to advertise this view? I can imagine it: Buy our phones so the government won't hack into your phone and see your shopping list! Not sure if it's even legal

Posted via CB10
    09-14-13 06:10 AM
    Marketing this way is not necessary. It's pretty well known that BlackBerry is very secure, which is why many businesses choose BlackBerry as their primary phone. Stressing this image further will not increase sales. And anyways, how are they going to advertise this view? I can imagine it: Buy our phones so the government won't hack into your phone and see your shopping list! Not sure if it's even legal

Posted via CB10
    You don't see it. Like many don't. Like Blackberry don't

I can easily make a 30 second commercial about all this where the viewer will completely relate the problem of the commercial. Blackberry would be the solution to that problem.
    09-14-13 06:53 AM
32 12