So here's what you all want. BlackBerry to spend money on advertising apple style to get people to realize they make phones and they arnt dead.

Awesome idea eh. Why didn't Chen think of that...

Oh, probably because they have 3.1 billion in the bank and it costs like 1 billion each year to market apple style.

Even if they only spent 500 million, that's still hella expensive.

I don't think they can afford it, and never will.

This is my rant.
    06-23-15 08:07 AM
    Obviously you didn't tune into the Earnings Call
    Sean Fanelli likes this.
    06-23-15 08:11 AM
    You're going to have to get past them marketing like Apple because it's not going to happen. They can't spend that kind of money.

Posted via CB Z30
    06-23-15 08:16 AM
    Advertise what? the sorry line up of obsolete devices lol...
    djtim, blackmoe and Witmen like this.
    06-23-15 08:20 AM
    "We make phones!! Our phones have no apps!"

Why spend money on telling the public that? They already get free word of mouth!

Now if BlackBerry does get competitive with app availability, then it would be time for a marketing push.

Posted from BlackBerry Classic, Verizon, no camera, 10.3.2.840
    djtim and MikeX74 like this.
    06-23-15 08:20 AM
    Time for advertising is long past.

BlackBerry is not a consumer company and thus it's marketing should not be aimed at the masses. Targeted business marketing that reaches the decision marker or educates them about what BlackBerry has to offer is the best use of these advertising dollars.

Sadly there isn't a future for BlackBerry devices....
    06-23-15 08:21 AM
    BlackBerry said in thier earnings call that they will market BB10 through AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon soon.
    06-23-15 08:22 AM
    BlackBerry said in thier earnings call that they will market BB10 through AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon soon.
    Not to mention, they said they'll be having a special Passport promotion with T-Mobile in the near future
    CivilDissident likes this.
    06-23-15 08:25 AM
    My post was picking at those who want BlackBerry to advertise like apple. I myself Don think they have the cash to do it.
    kvndoom likes this.
    06-23-15 08:43 AM
    My post was picking at those who want BlackBerry to advertise like apple. I myself Don think they have the cash to do it.
    If BlackBerry gets the apps, be it through Android or black magic, I will move straight to the front of the line screaming for a high-end phone and TV commercials. Until then, they need to focus on whatever keeps them out of the red.

Posted from BlackBerry Classic, Verizon, no camera, 10.3.2.840
    06-23-15 09:09 AM
    If you listen to the Earnings Call, John Chen is (in regards to Hardware) the Anti-Victor Kiam

"I have so little faith in the future of Hardware, I reduced their budget by $200 million".
    Blacklatino likes this.
    06-23-15 10:08 AM
    Thor said the same thing back 2013.

A marketing blitz was coming, he said.

Guess what?

Except for a little from Verizon... nothing.

Posted via CB10
    bp2k7 likes this.
    06-23-15 10:12 AM
    According to today's annual meeting:

BlackBerry spends approx 7% of their revenue on marketing, mostly in the enterprise sector, much less for devices.

I've been listening to the webcast and have typed up the following Q&A set, sometimes not directly word-to-word though:

Question from the floor: The problem is, people can't buy BlackBerrys because they don't know they exist. What are you going to do about this? What's your marketing plan?

"It was a necessity, at the time, to cut back on device marketing, in order to get the costs in control due to the extremely low margins. Now, after our restructuring phase, we will slightly increase marketing on that end. Many people equate marketing with advertising, which might be good for awareness, however the highest bang for the buck is doing marketing banners on the internet. So you might not necessarily see us on bus stops or airports. We are looking how to get the message out. In the past, it was a lot about products, "our products do this, do that etc". Today that has changed. If you walk into our lobby, you will see our posters have changed to how our technology empowers users.

I hope in the future you will appreciate the work we put into this."
    06-23-15 10:18 AM
    In the past, it was a lot about products, "our products do this, do that etc".
    Except for their most expensive commercial EVER... It was easier to show what the phone COULDN'T do...

Still gives me D-chills, such an opportunity squandered.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    06-23-15 10:46 AM
    All they have to do is take $100 of the $250 average revenue per phone for each of the approximately 5 million devices they will sell this year and purchase advertising with it. Basically, 40% of the cost of the phone would go to advertising.
    06-23-15 11:55 AM
    They don't have to spend a billion $ on ads. They do need to let people know they are still in business. My girlfriends company just dropped their BlackBerry license $10.000. Their IT guy and her boss thought BlackBerry was out of business and just hadn't shut down completely. They have never heard of BES10/12. She found this out because they are handing out new phones iPhone 6 or Android said she was thinking Passport, they never heard of it. She works for a billion $ + Canadian company in financial business and they thought BlackBerry was dead . Ads aren't just for consumers, business and It people see them too!

Posted via CB10
    06-23-15 12:00 PM
    So here's what you all want. BlackBerry to spend money on advertising apple style to get people to realize they make phones and they arnt dead.

Awesome idea eh. Why didn't Chen think of that...

Oh, probably because they have 3.1 billion in the bank and it costs like 1 billion each year to market apple style.

I don't think they can afford it, and never will.

This is my rant.
    Yeah, wouldn't hurt. Well.....

I understand your rant. It's an old one. Unfortunately.....Apple/Android aside, advertising for BlackBerry would be similar to talking on the radio and the sound system isn't working. Great speech....but, no one heard it. Right now and excluding us that have bought multiple BlackBerries over the years, no one is listening. Those that are listening and curious are being talked out of buying one via family, peers, or the CS working at the carriers. BlackBerry still has a cloud of negativity over it and it's slow to move away. All hope is not lost and according to Chen, BlackBerry is still on track. But, the latest news is not going to persuade anyone to go out and buy a BlackBerry........that never had one before. Also, I'm not being negative. Just my perception of BlackBerries' reality and continued journey.
    06-23-15 01:04 PM
    The name itself has been damaged. Even Jesus wouldn't be able to save its bad rep.
    06-23-15 01:18 PM
    Crazy how many posted replies and nobody noticed the OP was being sarcastic and knows they won't advertise.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-15 01:28 PM
    I think that what they need is a clever marketing in general and not necessarily advertisement.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    06-23-15 03:18 PM
    All they have to do is take $100 of the $250 average revenue per phone for each of the approximately 5 million devices they will sell this year and purchase advertising with it. Basically, 40% of the cost of the phone would go to advertising.
    They'd be better off trying this than waiting a year with minimal advertising and then marking the phones down by hundreds to blow out inventory.
    06-23-15 07:11 PM
    They don't have to spend a billion $ on ads. They do need to let people know they are still in business. My girlfriends company just dropped their BlackBerry license $10.000. Their IT guy and her boss thought BlackBerry was out of business and just hadn't shut down completely. They have never heard of BES10/12. She found this out because they are handing out new phones iPhone 6 or Android said she was thinking Passport, they never heard of it. She works for a billion $ + Canadian company in financial business and they thought BlackBerry was dead . Ads aren't just for consumers, business and It people see them too!

Posted via CB10
    Well, not to discount the fact that BlackBerry doesn't advertise well enough. The fact a company bases it's decision on NOT researching where they want to spend their money is just sad. I don't know of many companies basing their decisions on what they think is the best decision, without doing proper research says a lot about that company. Poor business acumen.

Posted via CB10 - Z10 'Powered by BlackBerry'
    06-23-15 07:20 PM
    Just wondering how much BBRY is spending on the top Formula 1 team . That can't be cheap
    06-23-15 09:21 PM
    Yes, They need to sell their phones aggressively.
    06-23-15 09:41 PM
    Not to mention, they said they'll be having a special Passport promotion with T-Mobile in the near future
    Yep!! Like everything BlackBerry..... Coming Soon!

Posted via CB10
    06-24-15 12:49 AM
29 12