Are BlackBerry moving away from full touch screen phones?

Do they have anything in the pipeline for the future?

Posted via my Z10 music monster!
    09-27-14 12:34 PM
    Rumor has it there'll be a successor to the Torch sliders announced early next year. As for full touch phones, there are some models currently having existential crises.

But all of the talk about how great the Passport's wide screen would be pretty hypocritical if they release a portrait phone...
    09-27-14 12:39 PM
    Rumor has it there'll be a successor to the Torch sliders announced early next year. As for full touch phones, there are some models currently having existential crises.

But all of the talk about how great the Passport's wide screen would be pretty hypocritical if they release a portrait phone...
    I was thinking same thing when I saw the ads on Facebook. And z3 is coming soon too plus this new "innovative device" Chen hinted at which is probably the patent pic that was shown off on cb not long ago

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 12:41 PM
    I think they will not but we won't be seeing high end of them but midrange to low end. But we might see designs like Visa as a touch device with minimum physical keys. That's the new line they could be taking as a high end full touch vision

Check out my photography channel
    09-27-14 12:47 PM

LOL... everyone in the industry is hypocritical. Remember how the Z10 was the perfect size according to countless studies? Then they pushed out the Z30 + Z3. Now apparently the Z30 is a terrible format. Whatever... just give me more devices.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 12:57 PM
    It's actually very difficult to tell. As they are focusing on their core customer group they'll be sticking to what they do best - physical keyboards. Though, we might see some full-touch phones for emerging markets where it is still possible to gain or to hold consumer market share. I don't expect much noise around those phones around here whatsoever. Stick to the classic or to the passport.
    allengeorge likes this.
    09-27-14 01:03 PM
    LOL... everyone in the industry is hypocritical. Remember how the Z10 was the perfect size according to countless studies? Then they pushed out the Z30 + Z3. Now apparently the Z30 is a terrible format. Whatever... just give me more devices.

Posted via CB10
    "You don't want a phablet" - Steve Jobs
    "You want a phablet" - Tim Cook

At least they had the courtesy to wait a little while before changing their minds
    09-27-14 01:08 PM
    Probably they won't promote future full-touch as their flagship phone.

I would like to see something like the Passport but smaller and thinner. Maybe a 4:3 screen or even closer to a square and a small bottom section for the keyboard.
    09-27-14 01:37 PM
    I hope the next one they came up with is a Z30 successor.

Posted via CB10 with Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.1154
    shaleem and Baruugh like this.
    09-27-14 01:46 PM
    The Z3 seems to be quite popular. I doubt they would abandon that.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 01:50 PM
    No

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 02:44 PM
    There will be the Z3 LTE version coming up before this year ends, but the Z30 is a better phone. I would love a slider bb10

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 03:30 PM
    Well Z10 is still popular as it's now priced the same as a mid/low end phone. Z30 hasn't yet ran it's existence. I am sure we will at some point see a Z3 in Europe and the West as a 4G/LTE device however how much will this push the price of the Z3 up in comparison to it's non 4G/LTE counterpart in Indonesia.

In reality, a BlackBerry is not a BlackBerry without the iconic QWERTY and have BlackBerry 'tried the full touch market and failed' and wont go there again.
    I think we'll see another high end touch though but not until the end of 2015/2016 but how big? That remains a mystery but I don't think it'll be phablet size.
    09-27-14 03:39 PM
    Maybe we'll see a 1920 X 1440 which is 4x3, and slightly bigger than the aspect ratio for an 8.5 X 11 inch sheet of paper.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    09-27-14 04:19 PM
    So in other words BB is slowly closing the coffin door, leaving the all touch screen world behind is a huge mistake which they will see once their "qwerty" devices fail to excite the general public.

Sent from my super cool shoe device using Tapatalk HD
    lift and techvisor like this.
    09-27-14 05:37 PM
    So in other words BB is slowly closing the coffin door, leaving the all touch screen world behind is a huge mistake which they will see once their "qwerty" devices fail to excite the general public.

But BlackBerry isn't trying to excite the general public.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 08:59 PM

I wonder how many times have we talked about BlackBerry and coffins and whatnot.

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    shaleem likes this.
    09-27-14 09:18 PM

Posted via CB10
    Never bite the hand that feeds you, I know everyone here is pro BB and I wish them the best ..... But the few here, is it enough to keep them profitable?

lift likes this.
    09-27-14 09:22 PM
    Never bite the hand that feeds you, I know everyone here is pro BB and I wish them the best ..... But the few here, is it enough to keep them profitable?

Only takes 10 million devices per year to keep hardware profitable for them. I think they'll survive. Especially when BES and BBM is picking up more revenue.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    09-27-14 09:24 PM
    Only takes 10 million devices per year to keep hardware profitable for them. I think they'll survive. Especially when BES and BBM is picking up more revenue.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    10 million a year , you think people are going to update their qwerty devices every year to help keep BB afloat? I am Canadian and I really hope they can keep going , sadly there are no devices here that suit my needs and I've moved on. Putting your eggs into one basket isn't always the best plan....especially once you've filled their hands. They are steering everyone else away .... People who could be possible buyers if they had a all touch screen updated device.

Juggy16, shaleem and techvisor like this.
    09-27-14 09:29 PM

Posted via CB10
    What does that have to do with anything? This is and never has been a valid argument as far I'm concerned. Not everyone in business wants keyboard phones. Give it a rest people. Yes they have their place, and yes BlackBerry is known for being the best keyboard devices. Who cares? They need to cover the all their bases and that includes all touch devices. The sheer # of slabs being sold year over year proves BlackBerry cannot abandon this area. It is extremely popular and should be quite lucrative when done right. BlackBerry knows this and I can't see them producing qwerty only phones. All this talk about how BlackBerry "is keyboards" is the kind of thing that would get BlackBerry into the same trouble all over again.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 09:31 PM
    10 million a year , you think people are going to update their qwerty devices every year to help keep BB afloat? I am Canadian and I really hope they can keep going , sadly there are no devices here that suit my needs and I've moved on. Putting your eggs into one basket isn't always the best plan....especially once you've filled their hands. They are steering everyone else away .... People who could be possible buyers if they had a all touch screen updated device.

Hmm... I'm giving them 2 years from the Z10 release to get a touch screen out. A bit premature to panic now.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    BB_Junky likes this.
    09-27-14 09:36 PM
    My first BlackBerry is the Z10. Surprisingly, it's the first full touchscreen I've ever owned. BlackBerry keyboards rock. Never tried them before though, always too expensive.

Carbon Fiber Z10 w/Leather Holster
    09-27-14 09:42 PM
    What does that have to do with anything? This is and never has been a valid argument as far I'm concerned. Not everyone in business wants keyboard phones. Give it a rest people. Yes they have their place, and yes BlackBerry is known for being the best keyboard devices. Who cares? They need to cover the all their bases and that includes all touch devices. The sheer # of slabs being sold year over year proves BlackBerry cannot abandon this area. It is extremely popular and should be quite lucrative when done right. BlackBerry knows this and I can't see them producing qwerty only phones. All this talk about how BlackBerry "is keyboards" is the kind of thing that would get BlackBerry into the same trouble all over again.

Posted via CB10
    I agree.. yes keyboard may be BlackBerry symbol, but not everybody that even likes BlackBerry these days wants keyboards.. z30 is my first BlackBerry I've owned. I could never get the hang of physical keyboards and went to iPhone. I love my z30 and plan to stick with BlackBerry but I also don't plan to upgrade for a few years and it'll be a touch screen when I do.

That's what I liked about BlackBerry vs apple. The both have a great OS but BlackBerry offers different styles for different tastes and needs. While our OS experience is gonna be similar, we aren't all carrying around the exact same looking phone as iPhones

Posted via CB10
    shaleem likes this.
    09-27-14 09:52 PM
    Went my z10 turn 2 years we talk about, before that, I don't panic
    09-27-14 09:57 PM
65 123