I have a non working BB that appears to be a motherboard issue. I am pretty technically savvy but the motherboard is where my expertise ends. Does anyone know of any reputable and professional repair shops anywhere in the country that I can reach out to for a diagnose and resolve of the mainboard issues? I really need some data off that phone or the phone fixed would be a better option, but I would take either. Thanks in advance
    06-05-13 02:24 PM
    this can be a great example of why it is great to always back up the device!

Now a few details you forgot to mention

1. Which country you are in
    2. Which model device you have
    3. What the exact issue is
    4 Is the device under warranty
    06-05-13 03:05 PM

1. I'm in the US but would pay to ship this phone world wide for repair
    2. This model in particular is a Bold 9900 however I am looking to start a business relationship with anyone who can repair these boards. I've reached out to quite a few companies who specialize in circuit and mainboard issues. All of which tell me that they don't repair smart phones. So whoever does repair BB mainboards is going to be precious commodity with whom I would like to do business with exclusively and send all of my clients BB's to for repair.
    3. Issue is the phone will not power up. Tried plugging in charger with and without battery. Tried several known good and fully charged batteries
    4. Device is not under warranty

Side note: Device is regularly backed up. User backs up once a week. The important info are some notes that were written in between weekly backups. On the day of failure phone was in operation and working just fine. At some point midday user was using his phone to scroll through some important notes and phone just powers off with 3/4 charge, never to turn on again.
    06-05-13 03:41 PM
    Why don't you try a local cellphone repair store? They most likely would be able assist. The Bold 9900 is not that old and there are plenty of places that have parts for them.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    06-05-13 07:08 PM
    Why don't you try a local cellphone repair store? They most likely would be able assist. The Bold 9900 is not that old and there are plenty of places that have parts for them.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    I have reached out to companies all over country including locally. Every technician including myself can replace a motherboard. What I need is someone who has the technical expertise and speciality tools that are need to to diagnose, troubleshoot and repair the very small and intricate parts on a blackberry motherboard. Repairing a motherboard takes a very unique skillset.
    06-05-13 07:42 PM
    It will be very, very difficult.

Motherboards for modern day electronics are not repaired by hand for a reason.

You have two simultaneous issues.

The parts are very model specific. So, they can't exactly just order chips from China to replace broken components. Most of those chip manufacturers also only sell in quantity, often customized to a phone manufacturer and that manufacturer only.

The small scale soldering on today's electronics are done by machine due to the small scale and precision level.

All authorized repair centers will scrap the components. It is no longer industry standard to repair, as the recovery rate is far too low to bother.

The cost to do this would be tremendous. Most likely in the thousands. And no warranty could be applied. Additionally the repair would probably not be sustainable.

Your best bet is go buy a duplicate working phone. And talk some electronics engineer in university to move the hard drive over. And that's assuming the bbry won't fail it's security checks for the initial OS hardware and new running hardware having mismatched serial numbers.. rumour is the devices are hardware locked for security.

Edit: if the funding is significant enough, I can recover the data for you assuming the memory isn't corrupt. But this would be extremely costly.

Posted via CB10
    1vadens likes this.
    06-05-13 07:59 PM
    Your best bet is go buy a duplicate working phone. And talk some electronics engineer in university to move the hard drive over. And that's assuming the bbry won't fail it's security checks for the initial OS hardware and new running hardware having mismatched serial numbers.. rumour is the devices are hardware locked for security.
    This sounds like a potential option. Could you perhaps tell me which of the roms on the mainboard is the hard drive?
    06-05-13 08:33 PM
    Edit: if the funding is significant enough, I can recover the data for you assuming the memory isn't corrupt. But this would be extremely costly.

Posted via CB10
    You mind if I PM you?
    06-05-13 08:33 PM
    Your certainly welcome to

Posted via CB10
    06-05-13 09:03 PM
    It'll say NAND

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Black...Teardown/784/1

And getting started with soldering on a small scale.

http://www.overclockers.com/how-to-solder-tiny-things/

Posted via CB10
    06-05-13 09:07 PM

09-13-16 03:17 AM
    I have reached out to companies all over country including locally. Every technician including myself can replace a motherboard. What I need is someone who has the technical expertise and speciality tools that are need to to diagnose, troubleshoot and repair the very small and intricate parts on a blackberry motherboard. Repairing a motherboard takes a very unique skillset.
    No tech gets paid enough to care about those skills on a low marketshare Passport. What the he'll are thinking? Send it to BlackBerry if they can't then buy a new one.

Sent from a Silver Passport.
    09-13-16 08:23 AM