I agree that the marketing for the curve is way way ahead of the performance. Actually, all the trendy hype of it being for the real technogeek isn't true. For all the technogeeks, figure out why with some curves in will sync OK with google calendar, and others it randomly erases appointments. Oh yea, that's right, it's googles problem. Ok, how about erasing appointments randomly when syncing the outlook...oh yea, that's right, it's a problem with microsoft. How about the problems with tethering and randomly often being disconnected...oh yea, that's right, it's a problem with verizon. So the BB is great, it is all the other apps. that are problematic. The arguments on this forum for the BB are rather sophomoric. BTW, the calendar is a piece of hud...
    02-03-09 10:08 AM
    VERY well said...
    Thank you very much!
    02-03-09 12:08 PM
    How bloody difficult is it for you to to find images on the internet (DeviantART, Flickr) and put them on your phone using Media Manager and setting it as your home screen! How difficult is it to edit a mp3 or wav of your favourite song and than upload it again via Media Manager and set it as your ring tone as I have with my Red Hot Chilli Pepers song Dani the Girl? Applications are not free because people spend time making applications, there are alot of free alternatives to paid versions for Blackberry devices. I for one just got myself a brand new in box Blackberry Bold for $300 (friend works somewhere) without a data plan and love it! I just use wap when I need to and use sms instead of sending PINS or blackberry email service and works great! I can still use pretty much the applications with my basic 3G internet service provided by my phone carrier which i used with my Palm Treo 750 before I got my Bold!

Stop Whinging!
    02-06-09 08:37 AM
    I've just had 10 new handsets, from Samsung, Sony, Nokia..they were all awful. One of them was the Storm which I passed back to them quicker than if it had been on fire. I have to say though, I'm glad I gave Blackberry another crack with this 8900, it's a superb little device!

There really does seem to be a lack of quality out there at the moment. I was reading that interview with the chap from RIM who basically said that releasing unfinished 'beta' handsets was the way of the future because of harsh deadlines and profit margins, it's showing already.
    02-06-09 09:02 PM
    well i guess im in for 8900
    i can list the likes and dislikes about this blackberry
    like:
    the full keyboard with good sized buttons
    not too bulky( perfect size)
    good speakerphone volume(im not deaf yet)
    3.5mm headphone jack
    mini usb plug
    trackball
    sd card
    WIFI
    camera flash
    lots of menu options(kinda)

dislike
    memory!!!??? 64mb for a phone like this? why? did it save 5 dollars on production?
    or did RIM expect people not to add any software?
    screen could be better
    w760 screen is 3/4 of this but has same resolution and much brighter and sharper
    camera sux balls(slow on load, very bad quality images for 2MP camera)
    no autofocus
    volume control low,mid,high settings? "smartphone"??
    battery life umm u look away and battery disappears so having it constantly pugged in. not really my idea of a phone.
    media player sound quality could be better.
    media player is hella slow
    and so is picture viewer takes so much time to do any operation i fall asleep.
    shutter sound at least give us some options or a click instead...

the point is:
    the curve series are clearly NOT designed for government officials.(WIFI, camera, MSN,YAHOO,AIM messengers? built in)

so then it was an attemt to make a consumer friendly blackberry but i guess it came out halfassed like all first attempts do and is neither usefull to business or consumer...

i am thinking about getting the 8900
    and planing to add the data plan
    but not right now i cant afford it.
    and dont really need it much.
    i dont have a business of any kind.

the reason for all this was that i wanted a can tweak but this one is not really tweakable so i was really disappointed.
    sony doesnt offer anything similar (xperia is not my style)
    02-06-09 09:44 PM
    Forget wallpapers and themes, just google them and do it via USB. I can't believe there isn't a profile that has your bb vibrate and ring at the same time. Is that true?
    02-07-09 12:31 AM
    the point is:
    the curve series are clearly NOT designed for government officials.(WIFI, camera, MSN,YAHOO,AIM messengers? built in)
    And here is where you and this thread has reached the apex of ridiculousness:

From one of your other "I got nothing but uniformed rants" threads
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/view...ssible-152965/

yea fkn PAY PER CLICK PHONE **** is not for me im sorry i refuse to pay for every single feature that should have been on this phone to begin with

i dotn work for government and most of you dont either why do we need so much protection on the phone?
    If you do not work for a government, what precisely is your basis for
    determining what does or does not work for government employees.

And for what it's worth, I AM a government official and can
    categorically state you have no clue what you are talking about. The BB
    for whatever shortcoming it may have exceeds the needs of most in the
    government sector.

Learn your device and most importantly know what you are talking about.
    02-07-09 12:53 AM
    so i had my blackberry for about a month now and i fkn hate it more and more.
    seeing how much potential it has and how much of it is actually accessible is a big waste.

almost every single feature that is on that phone is a paid service designed to bring profit to the service provided for as little usability for you as possible. so you re forced to pay more and more every step you take in order to do something.
    i cant even download a damn wallpaper without being charged 5 dollars for it. doesnt it bother anyone that whoever made the wallpaper spent like 15 seconds making it and posting it on the webpage and hes charging you 5 dollars for it?
    i have to spend hours and hours editing,updating, installing, backing up and reupdating backups of the pieces of my OS in order to make a program work because its been hidden or blocked by provider?
    cant disable the data service even tho i have no data plan.
    ye its software version 4.5 and im sure the people at RIM are aware that there are some users without data plan...
    the fkn ringer volume control nonexistent my sony ericsson T610 had better volume control than this.(soft, med,loud) what is this a 5 dollar wallmart phone?

theres tonns of software that i have to pay for in order to get a function that is totally free on most other phones.
    Suppress the camera shutter sound! for 3.95!!!
    ringtone alert and vibration alert at the same time.for 8 dollars yeeey

Stop your face from pressing keys on a call!2.95?? shouldnt that be included with original OS? on storm?

and as much as i love that piece of hardware, the whole snake oil salesman scheme that grew around it makes me sick.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Here is another problem next to the store where I purchased my BB is a grocery store and that grocery store has the nerve to sell toilet tissue I smell a plot. But wait, next to the dealer that sold me my jeep that I drive to work to pay for my blackberry data plan is a gas station do you think they all are in on this plot to get me? All of this because I needed to check my emails. ~I wonder what else they are cooking up for me.

Last edited by Morena Azucar; 02-07-09 at 03:07 AM.
    02-07-09 03:04 AM
    well i guess im in for 8900
    i can list the likes and dislikes about this blackberry
    like:
    the full keyboard with good sized buttons
    not too bulky( perfect size)
    good speakerphone volume(im not deaf yet)
    3.5mm headphone jack
    mini usb plug
    trackball
    sd card
    WIFI
    camera flash
    lots of menu options(kinda)

dislike
    memory!!!??? 64mb for a phone like this? why? did it save 5 dollars on production?
    or did RIM expect people not to add any software?
    screen could be better
    w760 screen is 3/4 of this but has same resolution and much brighter and sharper
    camera sux balls(slow on load, very bad quality images for 2MP camera)
    no autofocus
    volume control low,mid,high settings? "smartphone"??
    battery life umm u look away and battery disappears so having it constantly pugged in. not really my idea of a phone.
    media player sound quality could be better.
    media player is hella slow
    and so is picture viewer takes so much time to do any operation i fall asleep.
    shutter sound at least give us some options or a click instead...

the point is:

so then it was an attemt to make a consumer friendly blackberry but i guess it came out halfassed like all first attempts do and is neither usefull to business or consumer...

i am thinking about getting the 8900
    and planing to add the data plan
    but not right now i cant afford it.
    and dont really need it much.
    i dont have a business of any kind.

the reason for all this was that i wanted a can tweak but this one is not really tweakable so i was really disappointed.
    sony doesnt offer anything similar (xperia is not my style)
    You started off this thread dissing a BlackBerry...and now you want the 8900? Well at least you're thinking of a data plan for once
    02-07-09 09:01 AM
    I work for the Government myself and Pearls and Curves are the norm, they do everything you need them to and if they fall short on something the I.T. department write a program that covers it.

It's a simple answer when asked why Blackberry's are the corporate benchmark and it's nice to see them breaking into the mainstream more.
    02-07-09 02:13 PM
    just doesnt know the right places to go> search around before you ***** i am happy with mine and the only app i pay for is gps. BUNK
    02-07-09 02:16 PM
    dont look at it as trying to charge u every step of the way. These apps like vib/ring and all the other fixes are not made and sold by RIM. These are just creative 3rd party apps that fix flaws in the original BB OS design. While I agree that all these things should of been implimented with the phone itself, its still nice to know that the phone is THAT customizable that any ol person can make an app that corrects a flaw in the original design. Cant say the same for a basic phone.

As for the pricing.... again, its al 3rd party! So u should be mad at the flaws, not the 3rd party apps.
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 02-07-09 at 03:35 PM.
    02-07-09 03:32 PM
    I have to agree with the thread starter. The Storm is a wonderful phone. But the RIM system makes it unusable for most of the world. In Europe and Asia people use multiple SIMs and different carriers depending on where they are and what they want to do. With the PIN tied to a specific carrier, RIM will eventually only retain corporate clients that pay the BES license fee and people that never travel out of their country and carrier area.

I think of myself as technically savvy and I I didn't understand this basic limitation of using a Blackberry. SIM swapping is not a Blackberry feature with the PIN tied to a carrier.
    02-07-09 07:51 PM
    The pin is tied to the device not carrier.

02-07-09 07:53 PM
    I feel your pain! Would like to see ring vibrate in os updated. Maybe a lil threaded sms! RIM is like the lottery. You never know!

Maybe I don't understand ... But my phone vibrates and rings every time it rings. I haven't downloaded any aps to do it either. It's just part of the editing of profiles.

02-07-09 08:28 PM
    Analogy- blackberry with no data plan is like getting a high def TV and only watching standard def cable on it.

Also, Dave88LX takes creepy stalkerish pictures on his BB with his no-shutter sound third party app that he purchased along with his x-ray specs!

ahhahahahha
    02-07-09 09:01 PM
    curve has vibe + ring (vibe then ring)

i dont think made myself clear in this

what i meant is i love the hardware (phone itsself) it is perfect

its the OS that i dont understand.
    the phone has been out for too long for RIM to ignore the complaints of users. but i also understand why no fixes are being done.
    they have to sell "new and improved" phones, and advertise the "new features" instead of fixing them in current ones.

which sux for end user cuz now we have to go and buy a new version of the phone and get rid of the current model.

and as for the government official guy.
    i also want to restate what i said cuz i didnt come out the way i had it in my mind.

the phone has features for average consumer but OS is still designed with business user in mind. so for average consumer it would be very tricky.
    especially for someone who never had a blackberry before.

its like the vern funk commercial where you get slapped in the face when you find out that almost evry feature on the phone you have to pay for.

so again, the phone itsself is great piece of hardware. but the OS could be much better fitted for average user.

now if it was say the 8800 world edition the whole phone says business on it.
    but not curve. even tho you can use it for work.
    02-07-09 09:19 PM
    im still in my "break in period" so ....i might have some random outbursts of violence against the phone.
    02-07-09 09:22 PM
    you can get all those things for free via USB
    02-07-09 09:39 PM
    curve has vibe + ring (vibe then ring)

i dont think made myself clear in this

what i meant is i love the hardware (phone itsself) it is perfect

its the OS that i dont understand.
    the phone has been out for too long for RIM to ignore the complaints of users. but i also understand why no fixes are being done.
    they have to sell "new and improved" phones, and advertise the "new features" instead of fixing them in current ones.

which sux for end user cuz now we have to go and buy a new version of the phone and get rid of the current model.

and as for the government official guy.
    i also want to restate what i said cuz i didnt come out the way i had it in my mind.

the phone has features for average consumer but OS is still designed with business user in mind. so for average consumer it would be very tricky.
    especially for someone who never had a blackberry before.

its like the vern funk commercial where you get slapped in the face when you find out that almost evry feature on the phone you have to pay for.

so again, the phone itsself is great piece of hardware. but the OS could be much better fitted for average user.

I like the Vibrate then ring. it gives my a chance to answer the phone before it rings and not disturb anyone then if i didnt feel it i would here it. I think rim did that for this reason. just a thought. Jeff
    03-19-09 02:48 PM

What is your definition of average user, if you mean the consumer market, then the answer is its not a consumer targeted device. Blackberries from the day it was conceived is targeted for the business/emailing/constant line of communication market. Its only not too long ago that the consumer market started looking at blackberries and other devices so they can access emails/txt/chat/internet. Yes, the blackberry does all of that, but that's only a small part of what the blackberry does and is meant for. The 8800WE, is the curve but it can use the GSM network for when traveling abroad.

You mentioned that its not for government employees because it has messaging applications, chances are if you work for the government and has been sanctioned to get a BB, you are connected to their BES, which applies IT Policies to keep you from doing anything with your BB but get their email.

My suggestion, list the things that you need a phone to do, and find one that best phone that suits your needs. Blackberries and other smartphones are not for everyone. They are/can be complicated devices (esp when you don't read the instruction manual), and guaranteed that most people that have smartphones/blackberries don't even come close to using it for its full potential, but they are happy with it and learn things as they discover them. Different phones/devices and different phone manufacturers make products to designed for a specific group of consumers.

If all you wanted in a phone was to make calls, send/receive sms/mms, every now and then check the news/weather, then i'm sure you'd be more than content with any Nokia/Motorola/LG/Sony Erricson phone.

Your complaint/rant about Blackberries is much like someone complaining that their $1,000,000 Mclaren F1 guzzles gas, doesn't have air conditioning/radio/mp3 player, and has storage space the size of a shoebox.
    Last edited by arch378; 03-19-09 at 03:34 PM.
    03-19-09 03:30 PM
    Dead Thread. Let it fade
    03-19-09 04:13 PM
    I always think the people who don't want shutter sound on the camera are some sort of creepy stalker type.
    It's not a spy cam, it's a PDA.

HAHAHA I use my camera as a SPY CAM all thee time... I love to catch my boyfriend sleeping with his mouth wide open or I sneak pics of my friends doing ******** things!!

I do a lot of blackmailing LMAO
    03-20-09 06:15 PM
    HAHAHA I use my camera as a SPY CAM all thee time... I love to catch my boyfriend sleeping with his mouth wide open or I sneak pics of my friends doing ******** things!!

I do a lot of blackmailing LMAO
    Lol.......d�mn you! My wife has a bunch of BM pics on
    me

03-20-09 06:33 PM
    I think you are just a whiner. You can't own a BB for a month an understand everything there is to know about it, therefore you are unqualified to make accurate assessments. Your comments about your BB are merely blanket statements and generalizations and undeserving of any further discussions.
    03-20-09 11:38 PM
154 ... 4567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD