That's not a great comparison considering wifi and free internet is everywhere. But here's a good one. A person or couple or family that are paying way too much to phone carries all having a data plan vs using wifi and having a reasonable bill.

I have to agree that although you don't have to have a data plan to have a working bb. But its missing something and preventing the whole bb experience. And I think having a bb without data is like buying a ferrari with a honda civic engine under the hood. I think that is a valid comparison. It still drives but not like a ferrari should.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-25-09 05:08 PM
    That's even more creepy. Using a baby as an excuse to be a creepy stalker? Fail.
    Excuse to be a creepy stalker? I think not, but that's a nice attempt to judge my character over the internet. Take your "fail" and shove it. You're a god damn ***** if you think I'm a creepy stalker because I don't need a useless sound that takes memory resources to execute.

You are required to have that sound because people have been using their cell phones to silently take inappropriate pictures as well as invade others privacy.
    It is SO REQUIRED that some phones it can be turned off, and some it can't. Yep, sounds like a "requirement" to me.

To me, the shutter sound only bothers those who could have intentions that would be questionable.
    And to me, I'm a married guy with a kid, and have no use for a fake shutter click sound on a cell phone camera. Just because you feel a certain way about something, doesn't mean that you automatically judge the entire population on your beliefs.

I think you are having an internal struggle with yourself or something.

I'm sure this is a law in other countries (not sure about the US) so it would be easiest for the phone manufacturers to add the shutter sound to all of their devices.
    You're sure this is law? Or you think it's law? Now you say you're not sure about the US? You just stated above that it was required. If you are not sure about anything, why do you keep bringing it up? Obviously it is NOT law, there are other phones on the market where you can turn the sound off.

Either way, I still haven't heard a good reason for no shutter sound. The new born infant thing is pretty dumb. The sound is not that loud.
    You obviously haven't played with my phone then.

My reason works for me, that's what matters. I think you're pretty dumb for not being able to grasp that others have opinions.

Why don't regular digital cameras all require to have a fake shutter sound? Why don't disposable cameras have the sound? Because it's stupid.

You obviously have personal issues and insecurities with candid shots or something.

Whether the camera makes a useless noise or not, you're still going to get the picture you're trying to take.
    Last edited by Dave88LX; 01-25-09 at 08:02 PM.
    01-25-09 07:54 PM
    yes, they shruted it.

it actually seems like with the Storm there are more pay apps than free. the older BB's have more free apps. maybe that's the way it's going from now on...

is this the same complaint with the Bold?

I dont think people with Bolds are making this complaint. As of right now, my Bold has 12 apps on it, and all of them were free. Im constantly trying out new apps. Currently im using:

1. Viigo
    2. Slacker
    3. Yahoo messenger
    4. AIM
    5. Nobex Radio Companion
    6. Associated Press Mobile News
    7. Google maps
    8. BofA Mobile banking
    9. Myspace
    10. Facebook
    11. Bolt browser
    12. Picture magic (actually this one is not free normally, but I won a free copy from CB)

I have a few free themes and I make my own ringtones normally. I havent paid for anything ive put on my phone since I bought it. Bold is beautiful.
    01-25-09 09:25 PM
    I wasn't aware that Blackberry advertised a plethora of third party applications, theme, wallpapers etc. Any phone is going to cost to customize to some point. The BB is ready and for alot of it, it is free. Data plans usually cost with most phones and most carriers if not all. You mentioned that a app to stop your buttons from responding when pressed against your face cost. These sort of apps are convenience applications and would cost. They were designed for the specific device. Are there phones that come with such apps built in to the os? I am not sure. Anyway, streamline what you need the device for and then see if the device does in fact meet your needs. I really do appreciate these sorts of post because they bring so much info to the surface that many times we forget. BTW, I use a Curve and have paid for third party apps. However it was never that the BB didn't do what I needed, it was only to enhance the performance. Thanks
    01-25-09 09:52 PM
    Hope you don't get a iphone then. Even more crippled features..

Iphone has plenty free apps tho, I feel him tho, I haven't gotten my blackberry yet and I do feel the apps are expensive
    01-25-09 10:31 PM
    You're sure this is law? Or you think it's law? Now you say you're not sure about the US? You just stated above that it was required. If you are not sure about anything, why do you keep bringing it up? Obviously it is NOT law, there are other phones on the market where you can turn the sound off.
    New Law to Require 'Click' from Camera Phones
    01-26-09 03:52 PM
    If you can afford a 500 dollar phone and a 30 dollar data plan you shouldn't be complaining about apps. and you can send any wallpaper you want to your phone for free. Plus crackberry has a ton of wallpapers and ringtones for free. You must remember this phone is new and all good things come to those who wait. Just my opinion
    01-26-09 04:05 PM
    Interesting, new Bill. Not a law, yet, just a proposal.

Interesting though, and stupid, considering you can still take the same picture with a true camera and not have it make the sound, or any one of the other little portable camera devices.

I can't wait until the jails fill up with people who own phones that don't make a camera click sound LOL.
    01-28-09 02:33 PM
    try PimpMyBerry.com
    ALL FREE.
    01-28-09 05:02 PM
    I'm going to take an educated guess just based on reading the first page, ur with Verizon. Verizon and ATT are the most expensive providers in the US. I have a Sprint Curve and couldn't imagine going back to another phone since I've had my blackberry. Try googling- Themes for BB, etc, you can make ur own ringtones too with a program called Audacity...sorry for ur pain.
    01-28-09 05:08 PM
    The $3 and $5 here and there that you complain about are nothing compared to the data plan charges that come EVERY MONTH.

Well I looked at getting around the data plan and now run my Berry on a cheap data plan for my actual needs (100Mb/month).

How to get push email w/o the BB data plan or BIS :-

go to

bb.anworm.com/Home/english

Now that is a saving!!!!
    01-29-09 12:25 AM
    everything costs money, thats life
    01-29-09 11:55 AM
    Thats why you shop around. Sometimes you have to pay more for quality!!!
    01-29-09 03:26 PM
    i dotn have a data plan...
    the reason i bought this phone is because it seemed like it had much potential for modifying and customizing it.
    beeing a " PC with phone features" as many people like to say here. but i foudn out just opposite.
    besides beeing used for email its just a tool tool to bring money into provider's pocket . and the rest of people are jumping on the bandwagon with the utilities and wallpapers adn themes adn all kinds of sht that most other phones have available for free.

PC with phone features? sure
    alarm- only one (compared to others have 4-6 usually)
    ringtone volume? right! you lucky you got those 3 settings...
    screen quality? motorolla razr had same quality screen. sony ericsson phones have smaller screen with higher resolution.
    8900 finally caught up but at what price tag...
    memory? again PC? where? 64mb total memory for a device like that? (for a normal phone maybe.
    MP3 player soundquality? not really..

and the best one goes to:
    having to erase almost all the apps in order for device to run properly?
    I.E. memory cleaning.
    lets buy a phone loaded with features and erase them all so it can actually run at normal speed.
    01-29-09 08:40 PM
    My first phone was one of those Motorola brick phones that my parents got for me to use in emergencies. Since then I've had a phone from just about every manufacturer over the years. LG, Kyocera, Samsung, Sanyo, and Motorola. I used to say that I'd never stray away from Motorola, they make a quality product if you want a nice PHONE.

When I decided to switch to my Curve 8330, I spent a couple of afternoons reading reviews of different bb phones before making my decision. I didn't need push e-mail, or facebook mobile, or bb maps and a nice browser... I just wanted a phone that I thought I would find interesting and fun to use. I found more than I expected to with my Curve. I work for a company that provides bb to it's upper level employees, and I find it helpful that I have one as well, not only for communication, but also for troubleshooting. I have found that if you remain so rigid in what you look for in a phone, you will never be happy.

I am more connected now to friends and family, even the outside world than I have ever been. E-mail with everyone I know in real time, headlines on CNN, social networking also in real time. Sure, there are always going to be slight annoyances here and there, once again inless you adapt and accept some of the tiny things you'll find in any phone, you'll never find one that you like.

Sell your curve to someone who will be happy with it. And I wish you good luck in finding the ideal phone, but I'm not positive that you'll be successful.

I'll be sitting here enjoying my bb while you search...

01-29-09 11:03 PM
    The best line ever by a creepy stalker: "I'm a creepy stalker because I don't need a useless sound that takes memory resources to execute."

Hilarious! My phones memory can't handle that shutter sound or those weird noises it makes when people call me. What are they again? Ringtones? What a waste of memory too!

Dave88 = Loser creepy stalker = True

You have derailed, dude.

02-03-09 03:18 AM
    Analogy- blackberry with no data plan is like getting a high def TV and only watching standard def cable on it.

Also, Dave88LX takes creepy stalkerish pictures on his BB with his no-shutter sound third party app that he purchased along with his x-ray specs!

02-03-09 03:29 AM
    Like I said earlier.... he bought a kitchen sink and is irrititated that he needs water for it to function properly.... but doesnt want to pay the water bill.
    02-03-09 06:55 AM
    wow i will never dumb my blackberry.
    we are too in love at this point!
    02-03-09 07:34 AM
    All smartphones have data plans. iPhone, WinMo devices, Palm, and Blackberry. If you are looking to take advantage of true smartphone features, then a data plan is needed.

Even when I had my RAZR, if I wanted to use AIM, web, or other internet features, I needed to either have a data plan or pay by the amount of data used.

Since you have an 8320, you can probably forego the data plan and use WiFi. But you need to be in a hot spot for free data access (and some places charge for WiFi access).

There are several threads on here for free apps. There are tons of free ringtones, wallpapers, and applications. There is even a thread on here listing free applications for the BB! Since you have a Curve, most of these will work on your phone, and you can use DM to install them, or go through a WiFi hotspot without using data.

You bring up StormLock (even through you don't have a Storm), even though TalkLock is free and does the same thing.

So, if you don't have a data plan, you go without PIN messaging, push e-mail, and data access anywhere (san Wifi). If you don't need those, then you don't need them. Make sure your BB is set to use Wifi.
    02-03-09 08:00 AM
    The Blackberry isn't exactly intended for Joe Random Consumer. Its first purpose is email, in a business/professional setting. Its not the new Sidekick for the LOLOMFG set, Paris Hilton aside. If your needs for a phone place more emphasis on eye/ear candy than actually getting work done, you may have bought the wrong device.

02-03-09 08:08 AM
    This reminds me of something else that gets my goat: cars. Now I think there's a conspiracy here - you'd think if I bought a car, that would it, right?
    WRONG! The thing won't work unless I fill it with gas, every few weeks. Then I have to 'insure' it, even though I've never had an accident - sounds like a protection racket, eh? Think that's bad, I have to buy new bits for it as they wear out, have it serviced. I had to buy new tyres for it last month, can you believe it?
    To be fair, most stuff that gives you a regular benefit comes with a regular cost - car, food, shelter, clothes. I think blackberry is great value for what it costs, though I use it loads.

02-03-09 08:19 AM
    as everyone noted im sure. blackberry doesnt really offer a phone comparable to any others yet. as far as media. but the curve is probably the best looking phone wiht a full keyboard.
    its compact, buttons are big enough to use for a guy.
    and blackberrys are gettin more popular for their organizer software.

so there are more and more people buying blackberrys that dont have or need a data plan.
    maybe blackberry world should update also.
    I remember you...you're the person wanting to use the phone without a data plan in order to do everything that you think it's supposed to do!!!! Keep in mind that a majority of smartphones want you to get a data plan, there's only so much that you can do without it. This is not just BlackBerry, but every smartphone there is.

I know that you got mad about people telling you that it's better to get a data plan, and now I think you realize why people been telling you. If it's ticking you off that much, go to AT&T and get a messaging phone, with a keyboard, that doesn't require a data plan, and be happy.

In the meantime, I'll keep getting my wallpapers for FREE...because I have a data plan.
    02-03-09 09:00 AM
    My first phone was one of those Motorola brick phones that my parents got for me to use in emergencies. Since then I've had a phone from just about every manufacturer over the years. LG, Kyocera, Samsung, Sanyo, and Motorola. I used to say that I'd never stray away from Motorola, they make a quality product if you want a nice PHONE.

When I decided to switch to my Curve 8330, I spent a couple of afternoons reading reviews of different bb phones before making my decision. I didn't need push e-mail, or facebook mobile, or bb maps and a nice browser... I just wanted a phone that I thought I would find interesting and fun to use. I found more than I expected to with my Curve. I work for a company that provides bb to it's upper level employees, and I find it helpful that I have one as well, not only for communication, but also for troubleshooting. I have found that if you remain so rigid in what you look for in a phone, you will never be happy.

I am more connected now to friends and family, even the outside world than I have ever been. E-mail with everyone I know in real time, headlines on CNN, social networking also in real time. Sure, there are always going to be slight annoyances here and there, once again inless you adapt and accept some of the tiny things you'll find in any phone, you'll never find one that you like.

Sell your curve to someone who will be happy with it. And I wish you good luck in finding the ideal phone, but I'm not positive that you'll be successful.

I'll be sitting here enjoying my bb while you search...

VERY well said...
    02-03-09 09:03 AM
    In my case, I got a piece of paper and noted all the things I liked about the curve on one side and the things that didn't appeal to me on the other side, and in my case, there were more things that didn't appeal to me and I based my decision on that..
    02-03-09 09:20 AM
154 ... 34567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD