01-20-12 05:05 PM
26 12
tools
    So I want to make a few designs - does anyone have some suggestions for designs or features to add in the mockups .. when I get a few done I will fire em off to RIM I don't know that they will do anything about it, but it may be food for thought

here is the first one I did Jan 18th

New Rectangle style *** Jan 19th

New piMp Berry *** July 26, 2012

http://vx1.net is my design page
    Last edited by vx1; 07-26-12 at 08:24 AM.
    01-19-12 08:25 AM
    So I want to make a few designs - does anyone have some suggestions for designs or features to add in the mockups .. when I get a few done I will fire em off to RIM I don't know that they will do anything about it, but it may be food for thought

here is the first one I did yesterday

Click to view quoted image

Vx1 - Studio is my design page
    terrible

looks like the iphone's long-forgotten, unattractive, brick-prone cousin <---
    01-19-12 08:49 AM
    What kind of dimensions are you going for with that design?

The bottom looks like it would be uncomfortable in the hand, and a spot for dirt and gunk to build in, I'd round that whole thing out as it looks like an ob longed phone inside a case
    01-19-12 08:52 AM
    Why would a phone have a spoiler

Franken-BB...
    01-19-12 08:53 AM
    What kind of dimensions are you going for with that design?

The bottom looks like it would be uncomfortable in the hand, and a spot for dirt and gunk to build in, I'd round that whole thing out as it looks like an ob longed phone inside a case
    well that one wasn't really a planned one .. all of 5 minutes but I want to think up something interesting I guess I am looking for some shapes or designs people like I can use them in the next few designs the purpose of that design was to show that I can do quality work.

Put it this way, I can design anything and if you would like to be a part of the designs that are going to go off the the big boys
    throw a few ideas in the thread and I will see if I can implement them to the design. This is not a competition but a effort to make cool ideas that may be reviewed by RIM

- what have I learned from these posts, well people don't want external parts .. they like more one piece smooth devices but one size never fits all thats why we make more than one..
    Last edited by vx1; 01-19-12 at 09:17 AM.
    01-19-12 09:02 AM
    Well if you are looking for design Ideas

User Alex_hong did this
    http://forums.crackberry.com/rumored...st-fun-681514/

And for the most part I liked it.
    I'd like to see the bottom rounded a little more than it is and and the bottom row of the keyboard to be more like the Bold 9900 so the edge keys are bigger

I very much like your BlackBerry Logo from above and would like to see that in place of the LED and each of the BlackBerry Logo dots to be LED backed,

I'd like to see a front/Back/side veiw showing off a top mounted Audio Jack, and a Bottom mounted micro USB, MicoHDMI port possibly putting the 3 ports of the PlayBook onto the phone as they are on the PlayBook, so that the devices chargers are interchangable.

make the entire device 65mm wide, 117mm high and 10mm thick that would give the device a closer to square screen
    01-19-12 09:25 AM
    Nice, thats the kind of input I am after

thanks!
    Last edited by vx1; 01-19-12 at 09:57 AM.
    01-19-12 09:43 AM
    These designs look old, definitely not elegant in any way. No artistic sophistication. Not pleasing to look at and probably wouldn't fit nicely in the hand

I think we need a device that's ALL screen with nice curves. Curved for the face, for the hand. We're using next-gen technology not what we get from the parts bin.
    01-19-12 10:59 AM
    Didn't like that change please
    01-19-12 11:13 AM
    I like what Samsung did with the Nexus design in the Nexus S....the curved and comfortable back...if you've ever held one, it feels magnificent in the hand. Taking that into account, someone needs to come up with a fresh aspect. Your spoiler idea is clever.

What if you took a form-fitting back to the phone, where it fits the hand very comfortably.....and then incorporated a very decent sized screen....then if your speaker (earpiece and mouthpiece) utilized a small 'spoiler effect'....not a massive spoiler, but a small lip feel to it, where the curvature simply 'fit the face' very well.....just a thought.

I see where you were going with that. Consider the ergonomics. Thin phones aren't actually comfortable on the face, or even holding it between your shoulder and face, so take those factors into account.

Samsung is onto something with that design. Take it to the next level.

A rounded back, slight lip to the base at the bottom so it doesn't feel like it will slip out of your hand, a more finger-centric grooved component moving towards the top outside corners (with embedded controls for volume and/or other functions - recessed so there are no 'accidental presses').....just things like that all have to be accounted for. Make sure that the recesses for battery charging ports are placed where there are no problems with that....best at the base of the phone. A speaker port for the speakerphone that is stereo, one at the base and the other at the top of the phone, so a lanscape viewing for video watching provides stereo sound...but placed where the hand placement doesn't block it.

Throw out all designs and start from an ergonomical aspect first, make it incredibly comfortable...then design the technology into it afterwards.

No one is really taking the science and technology and marrying it to form then function at the next level yet.

This could be what separates BlackBerry from the competition. Don't take a 'me too' approach, take an 'I'm right' approach.
    Last edited by AliensWanted; 01-19-12 at 11:31 AM.
    01-19-12 11:26 AM
    Ok, I am getting a mixed message here with phone shape
    so I made this basic mock of shapes, which shape do people
    prefer for a device or maybe tell me about a mixture you
    have in mind

Last edited by vx1; 01-19-12 at 11:48 AM.
    01-19-12 11:29 AM
    I think you need to not use a basic shape, that's where people get stuck in a rut. Your design needs to be more organic and not restricted to a set shape. Like I said previously, go for ergonomics first....make it perfect for the hand. For this you need to use modeling clay and design something that feels incredible in your hand....then tweak from there.
    01-19-12 11:37 AM
    Remember this; when Apple designed the iPhone, they didn't ask what people wanted, they made something they wanted and people were drawn to it.

You're thinking backwards. Make something YOU want....then work from there.

Steve Jobs famously said 'You can't have a focus group that tells you what they want. By the time you've finished making it, they've moved onto something else. You have to tell them what they want'.

Seems to me he was right about that. Lots of people use Apple products. Either they're all delusional or he was right.

I think it's the latter.
    01-19-12 11:40 AM
    Remember this; when Apple designed the iPhone, they didn't ask what people wanted, they made something they wanted and people were drawn to it.

You're thinking backwards. Make something YOU want....then work from there.

Steve Jobs famously said 'You can't have a focus group that tells you what they want. By the time you've finished making it, they've moved onto something else. You have to tell them what they want'.

Seems to me he was right about that. Lots of people use Apple products. Either they're all delusional or he was right.

I think it's the latter.
    smiles - I have Ideas in mind already - just curious what people were thinking.
    I do appreciate your insight and agree with it.
    01-19-12 12:35 PM
    You are indeed a brave soul (or a glutton for punishment) to post anything creative on this site. You will get every clown and their mother coming in here and telling you it sucks.

I do think the more rectangle BB10 phone that deRusett posted looks good. Shows a clear evolution of the device.
    dobiefan likes this.
    01-19-12 01:02 PM
    I may get some arguments on this one. My ideal would be a slider ala 9800/9810. But larger to accommodate a larger screen and a 99xx keyboard. That would get the best BB keyboard, while having a larger display that would be more competitive with the larger screens on Android devices. And it could be a little thicker to allow a larger battery.
    01-19-12 01:37 PM
    posted a new demo
    01-19-12 04:55 PM
    I think the second one is better...in the right direction

But I would make it all screen with slit openings, top and bottom (like the pb),
    a little bit more sculpted/organic in the form department, a thin-as-possible black border for QNX swiping, and a front facing camera under the top speaker opening ,and the phone needs to be thin and light...
    01-19-12 06:32 PM
    I like what Samsung did with the Nexus design in the Nexus S....the curved and comfortable back...if you've ever held one, it feels magnificent in the hand. Taking that into account, someone needs to come up with a fresh aspect. Your spoiler idea is clever.

What if you took a form-fitting back to the phone, where it fits the hand very comfortably.....and then incorporated a very decent sized screen....then if your speaker (earpiece and mouthpiece) utilized a small 'spoiler effect'....not a massive spoiler, but a small lip feel to it, where the curvature simply 'fit the face' very well.....just a thought.

I see where you were going with that. Consider the ergonomics. Thin phones aren't actually comfortable on the face, or even holding it between your shoulder and face, so take those factors into account.

Samsung is onto something with that design. Take it to the next level.

A rounded back, slight lip to the base at the bottom so it doesn't feel like it will slip out of your hand, a more finger-centric grooved component moving towards the top outside corners (with embedded controls for volume and/or other functions - recessed so there are no 'accidental presses').....just things like that all have to be accounted for. Make sure that the recesses for battery charging ports are placed where there are no problems with that....best at the base of the phone. A speaker port for the speakerphone that is stereo, one at the base and the other at the top of the phone, so a lanscape viewing for video watching provides stereo sound...but placed where the hand placement doesn't block it.

Throw out all designs and start from an ergonomical aspect first, make it incredibly comfortable...then design the technology into it afterwards.

No one is really taking the science and technology and marrying it to form then function at the next level yet.

This could be what separates BlackBerry from the competition. Don't take a 'me too' approach, take an 'I'm right' approach.

RIM has taken this approach from the get go, they have 1000's of form factor models to get the shape to be comfortable in the hand, the problem is the market is using stupid specs like thinness to advertise so RIM has attempted to compete a little

their phones from the 2007-2009 era were amazing to hold and use, even now the Bold 9900 is a pleasure to hold with it's curves and shapes, I would like it a bit thicker, but then it would get called a brick and would not get the positive reviews, nor would it get the push from the sales people.

I do agree that MORE time needs to get spent on the function and comfort, over the form and the look,
    01-19-12 06:43 PM
    Take Shape A
    but increase the width at the top by about 3% and round the corners like shape C and flatten out the bottom so it can accommodate the PlayBook input panel.

Then when looking at the sides, have where the physical buttons are indent so the physical buttons are not visible when looking at it strait on similar to the lock button at the top of the 9900

I like what AliensWanted said about changing the shape which is why I think it would be nice to see the top a bit wider than the bottom on a qwerty device, just not too much wider
    01-19-12 06:56 PM
    Thin and light is always cooler than chunky and funky
    01-19-12 07:03 PM
    RIM has taken this approach from the get go, they have 1000's of form factor models to get the shape to be comfortable in the hand, the problem is the market is using stupid specs like thinness to advertise so RIM has attempted to compete a little

their phones from the 2007-2009 era were amazing to hold and use, even now the Bold 9900 is a pleasure to hold with it's curves and shapes, I would like it a bit thicker, but then it would get called a brick and would not get the positive reviews, nor would it get the push from the sales people.

I do agree that MORE time needs to get spent on the function and comfort, over the form and the look,
    RIM has taken a very soft approach to handset design, very safe. They need to be Bold (see my pun?)

Seriously. Make a handset that throws out the rulebooks and people will have to pay attention. Not some crazy spaceship stupid design, but something with absolute substance and detail, supreme detail, to every component. What makes the iPhone so popular is that is it is incredibly detailed, exacting in every detail.

That's what BlackBerry needs. That's what RIM needs. That's what the end users deserve.
    01-20-12 02:20 PM
    RIM has taken a very soft approach to handset design, very safe. They need to be Bold (see my pun?)

Seriously. Make a handset that throws out the rulebooks and people will have to pay attention. Not some crazy spaceship stupid design, but something with absolute substance and detail, supreme detail, to every component. What makes the iPhone so popular is that is it is incredibly detailed, exacting in every detail.

That's what BlackBerry needs. That's what RIM needs. That's what the end users deserve.

But when Holding a phone for 2-3 hours typing on it, the BlackBerry is BY FAR the most comfortable device, the iPhone pails in comparison for typing extended lengths to the BlackBerry.

The issue is, BlackBerry is designing phones for people like me, People who text entry is 90% of their usage, I read emails off of my computer and type reply's on my Blackberry because my BlackBerry is a joy to hold in hand, my computer is a joy to see across the room and not be near it.

The iPhone is pretty, it was designed to be pretty, and to look great, it wasn't designed to be a joy to hold, it was designed to be well photographed, and to show off apps.

RIM needs to Go back to their roots of comfort, AND they need to address style,

I've typed this many many times, but I WOULD LOVE a Curve 8330 body/keyboard, with the Bold 9900 specs in it, except with the added volume the 8330 body has, you could put in a 2000mhA battery oooooohhh the joy it would be to type on that.
    01-20-12 02:30 PM
    Just an ide, as for me the best mobile solution is a combo, PB+Phone.
    I'd love my phone to be docked into the pb into a solid pair. A fence will be the top, with ability of charging both together (or even to charge phone with PB and vice-versa), a hardware link to share @ the speed of light whatever is on the phone/PB and of course ... full bridge capabilities).

visually (just an idea, I'm far from design), could be like ...
    01-20-12 02:49 PM
    deRusett,

I totally see where you are coming from. The feel of the handset after HOURS of use is phenomenal...but it is still lacking. The BlackBerry faithful has been dwindling for years, so unfortunately, you are becoming the minority of users....which is kind of sad.

That said, users should have the best of both worlds and that is what I am suggesting. Why is it when you want to do something such as type and/or reply, you want the BlackBerry, but anything else from a consumption standpoint....say watching a movie or anything that requires more screen size, the new phone should be capable of handling both worlds.

I'm with you, though, it HAS to be incredibly comfortable for hours on end, but more modern. A newer Curve as you suggest, that won't do. It's too old.
    01-20-12 04:15 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD