Good for you, "Living in Alberta as I do and often in Calgary" and what's that supposed to mean? As I said I've been seeing allot of BBOS/BB10 devices (mostly dual carry). I'm guessing you don't work in the DT and drive into town in your pickup and hang out at hill-billy heaven coffee shop at okotoks
    Yes, We are pretty much all Apple here in Okotoks.
    09-15-19 08:53 PM
    Good for you, "Living in Alberta as I do and often in Calgary" and what's that supposed to mean? As I said I've been seeing allot of BBOS/BB10 devices (mostly dual carry). I'm guessing you don't work in the DT and drive into town in your pickup and hang out at hill-billy heaven coffee shop at okotoks

I am about as a hardcore BlackBerry fan as anybody and I work in finance in downtown Calgary. I used to see BlackBerry 7, mostly 9900's all the time in their prime day and we'll into 2014/2015.

A lot of the banks, law firms and energy companies adopted BlackBerry 10, a lot of them took advantage of BlackBerry's "enterprise testing" phase at launch. A lot of companies decided against it though just like a lot of other corporate clients for BlackBerry.

If you look on Kijiji or if you go to a few of the downtown Chinatown mobile shops, I've seen literally boxes and boxes and storage containers full of BB7 devices from business who have turned BBOS off.

I loved BBOS, still do but I don't really use it. I can't imagine too many people in Calgary do either, especially after the support announcement of 2017. I don't know how many companies would still be deploying the phones considering we are talking about an entire generation of young professionals who know nothing about BB7 or how to use it.

I wouldn't expect a law firm to hand out a 9900 with a couple of extra batteries and tell a 23 year old to pull the battery when the devices freezes up. A few diehards might still use them here and there but its almost over and BlackBerry is losing a couple hundred thousand BBOS clients a quarter. They probably figured they would be close to 0 by now but there might be enough to squeeze a few extra million in SAF from some carriers for 2 quarters in 2020 but there won't be much after that.

Posted via CB10
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    09-16-19 04:31 AM
    I wouldn't expect a law firm to hand out a 9900 with a couple of extra batteries and tell a 23 year old to pull the battery when the devices freezes up. A few diehards might still use them here and there but its almost over and BlackBerry is losing a couple hundred thousand BBOS clients a quarter. They probably figured they would be close to 0 by now but there might be enough to squeeze a few extra million in SAF from some carriers for 2 quarters in 2020 but there won't be much after that.

Posted via CB10
    Allot of law firms use key devices, no one said law firms or banks are using BBOS.
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    09-16-19 08:56 AM
    Allot of law firms use key devices, no one said law firms or banks are using BBOS.

I am actually pleasantly surprised at the BlackBerry Mobile adoption that occurred in Calgary and even at the corporate level.

For the sake of all of us BlackBerry fans, I still hope we can see a Key 3 or something materialize. We need a physical keyboard device for the future.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-19 10:38 AM
    I am actually pleasantly surprised at the BlackBerry Mobile adoption that occurred in Calgary and even at the corporate level.

For the sake of all of us BlackBerry fans, I still hope we can see a Key 3 or something materialize. We need a physical keyboard device for the future.

Posted via CB10
    Totally agree. I am "pkb dependent" myself.
    Rico4you likes this.
    09-16-19 07:24 PM
    Its good to see such debates.. I can clearly sense bb love inside heated arguments as well. That's true they did wrong ..but that was only not to follow the trends of useless Apps war which was started by Android and iOS. And ultimately they couldn't able to gather enough strong developers to keep working on BB 10 OS applications. People migrated and RnD stopped, Useful productive Apps were not upgrading and all users switched to Apple or Android. After opting for Android TCL has given us very good devices including KeyOne & Key2.

I am optimistic that in future these users will clinge to it and keeps it afloat in this highly competitive market. Technically they don't have any rivals.
    Sigewif likes this.
    09-17-19 10:09 AM
    Its good to see such debates.. I can clearly sense bb love inside heated arguments as well. That's true they did wrong ..but that was only not to follow the trends of useless Apps war which was started by Android and iOS. And ultimately they couldn't able to gather enough strong developers to keep working on BB 10 OS applications. People migrated and RnD stopped, Useful productive Apps were not upgrading and all users switched to Apple or Android. After opting for Android TCL has given us very good devices including KeyOne & Key2.

I am optimistic that in future these users will clinge to it and keeps it afloat in this highly competitive market. Technically they don't have any rivals.
    I hope you are right. I really am enjoying my KEY2 which I have only had since late June. I was going to wait for a KEY3 but decided too get a KEY2 in the mean time. I had to get a used one but it has been awesome. I love the keyboard.
    AliAbbas Icon likes this.
    09-17-19 11:44 AM
    At this point BB should take what they can get. If some hardware vendor wants to use some of their IP, let them since they are now essetially a software security firm anyway. Have the Unihertz folks pay a fair royalty and let them use the capacitive keyboard on the Titan. They would be making more than nothing if the TCL deal is as dead as it might seem. That was a big plus when I initially read about it and the loss of it tempered my excitement. Spitballing further if BB wants their name on it - unlikely but just say - then they can can work out a deal with Unihertz to get DTEK installed, lock the bootloader, whatever. Few have heard of Unihertz, but the BB name still means something and all of the old Passport fans that may not have heard will happily jump on the Titan when it comes out.
    09-22-19 12:24 AM
    At this point BB should take what they can get. If some hardware vendor wants to use some of their IP, let them since they are now essetially a software security firm anyway. Have the Unihertz folks pay a fair royalty and let them use the capacitive keyboard on the Titan. They would be making more than nothing if the TCL deal is as dead as it might seem. That was a big plus when I initially read about it and the loss of it tempered my excitement. Spitballing further if BB wants their name on it - unlikely but just say - then they can can work out a deal with Unihertz to get DTEK installed, lock the bootloader, whatever. Few have heard of Unihertz, but the BB name still means something and all of the old Passport fans that may not have heard will happily jump on the Titan when it comes out.
    BlackBerry Limited is a $1.3 billion dollar company (revenue) with a $2.5 billion market cap. I doubt they'd bother with a license that doesn't guarantee $10 million with potential for $50 million+.

If Unihertz wants to buy out BBMo's remaining contract and pay BlackBerry what TCL owes them, I'm sure BlackBerry would entertain an offer. But they won't waste their time making popcorn stand-sized deals as it's a distraction from their real business.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    09-22-19 12:53 AM
    Don't care. It's not as if your devices current version of android is going to be banned from the playstore anytime soon. Minimum is 4.4 for a long-long-asss time.

From my BlackBerry Q5 on Freedom Mobile 3G HSPA+
    09-24-19 02:27 AM
210 ... 789