Probably the most 'official' on the record comment to come from IFA about the situation.

https://www.androidauthority.com/tcl...power-1027761/
    From the article:

"....Meanwhile, those who can afford flagships often obtain them on payment plans with carriers."

Yeah, let that sink in a second...
    09-11-19 11:24 AM
    Actually, it should say...

"....Meanwhile, those who cannot afford flagships outright often obtain them on payment plans with carriers."

Because, that's the reality. I couldn't afford my S9 outright, but it's not a problem on the payment plan.
    09-11-19 12:57 PM
    From the article:

"....Meanwhile, those who can afford flagships often obtain them on payment plans with carriers."

Yeah, let that sink in a second...
    Why oh why wouldn't the first flex be a BlackBerry branded (ie hardened) one, or at least simultaneously released? You know the execs, and bigwigs will be eyeing these first. Consumers sure, but that other class of customer won't be able to look for a BlackBerry Playbook/2
    09-11-19 01:35 PM

"....Meanwhile, those who cannot afford flagships outright often obtain them on payment plans with carriers."

Because, that's the reality. I couldn't afford my S9 outright, but it's not a problem on the payment plan.
    You gotta point. Some, People claim they live on their smartphones, why not have pseudo mortgage payments to match?
    09-11-19 01:41 PM
    Probably the most 'official' on the record comment to come from IFA about the situation.

https://www.androidauthority.com/tcl...power-1027761/
    Bla1ze, start a new thread with this as was suggested . It's promising news, although it still depends on them reaching an agreement so that we'll see something in the future.
    Last edited by mrsimon; 09-12-19 at 01:49 AM.
    09-11-19 03:57 PM
    Bla1ze, start a new head with this as was suggested . It's promising news, although it still depends on them reaching an agreement so that we'll see something in the future.
    "We are committed to BB10".
    John Albert likes this.
    09-11-19 04:26 PM
    Bla1ze, start a new head with this as was suggested . It's promising news, although it still depends on them reaching an agreement so that we'll see something in the future.
    The statement said they were committed to the existing lineup of Alcatel and BlackBerry devices. I interpret that to mean committed to selling remaining inventory as they transition to TCL-branded devices.

But I guess we can all interpret it how we want.
    John Albert likes this.
    09-11-19 04:37 PM
    As Bla1ze stated, this is most likely due to the replacement of the SwiftKey prediction engine with one of BB's own design. SwiftKey has a decade's worth of constant improvement and refinement, and that's not easy to replace overnight.
    That's very true , this is my first time using the vkb after all the recent updates and I have to say the prediction is a hit and miss , nothing like the PRIV days , I just wish they would license it and I would be happy to pay a fee to have it directly from BlackBerry
    09-11-19 04:59 PM
    I agree. The vkb is pure gold. Never would have thought BB could make an addictive vkb but they did.
    Yes !! Pure gold !! Honestly ever since I started using the vkb on my z10 i never looked back ! I would be doomed if BlackBerry ever pulls the plug on it ! I had such a learning curve after I went from z10, z30, priv to key1 ! And since no slab phone worth upgrading after priv I would love to pay some money to BlackBerry to have it officially licensed by them .
    herbersh likes this.
    09-11-19 05:06 PM
    Devices which do not have the latest version of Android should not be in the Enterprise Solutions Directory.

Android 10 for example, has all the previous security updates, and further refinement in Android security overall. It should also be mentioned that Android security patches will come from Google Play (Android 10 devices) , this alone is a feature why I could never use an older version of Android.

https://blog.google/products/android/android-10/

Point 7
    elfabio80 likes this.
    09-11-19 05:22 PM
    Devices which do not have the latest version of Android should not be in the Enterprise Solutions Directory.

Android 10 for example, has all the previous security updates, and further refinement in Android security overall. It should also be mentioned that Android security patches will come from Google Play (Android 10 devices) , this alone is a feature why I could never use an older version of Android.

Point 7
    You will have to talk to Google about that then to get them to change the requirements.
    09-11-19 05:44 PM

At least you're being honest about it.
    09-11-19 05:47 PM
    The statement said they were committed to the existing lineup of Alcatel and BlackBerry devices. I interpret that to mean committed to selling remaining inventory as they transition to TCL-branded devices.

But I guess we can all interpret it how we want.
    Statement said quote / unquote

Alcatel and BlackBerry remain part of the larger TCL Communication product portfolio,” said Gerdon. “The addition of the TCL brand is in complement to those devices we already have in our portfolio, not a replacement of them.”

Perfectly clear. Alcatel and BlackBerry REMAIN part of the larger product portfolio.

Interpret that as Remain.
    09-11-19 05:51 PM
    Statement said quote / unquote

Alcatel and BlackBerry remain part of the larger TCL Communication product portfolio,” said Gerdon. “The addition of the TCL brand is in complement to those devices we already have in our portfolio, not a replacement of them.”

Perfectly clear. Alcatel and BlackBerry REMAIN part of the larger product portfolio.

Interpret that as Remain.
    "In complement to those devices we already have in our portfolio..."

Not future devices. Current devices.
    Paulelmar18 likes this.
    09-11-19 05:57 PM
    At least you're being honest about it.
    It is what it is. It's also how all those iPhones are sold. For most of us working folks with mortgage, kids to feed, utilities to pay, and two cars to gas up for daily drive back and forth to work and school, it's easier to handle a 20 to 25 dollar payment each month with a refreshed checking account than to shell out 500 to 900 bucks all at one time.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    09-11-19 05:57 PM

And they then proceeded to launch new Alcatel devices and none for BlackBerry Mobile: https://pocketnow.com/tcl-announces-...and-one-tablet
    09-11-19 06:01 PM

Where is the quote from Gerdon where he says exactly.. "not future devices. Current devices..."????

I posted word for word what was quoted by article. Nothing more Nothing less.
    bb9900user2018 and Sigewif like this.
    09-11-19 06:05 PM
    You will have to talk to Google about that then to get them to change the requirements.
    I would but I'm 1 pint away from bedtime.

09-11-19 06:08 PM
    Where is the quote from Gerdon where he says exactly.. "not future devices. Current devices..."????

The quote is very noncommittal and probably intentional since most reasonable that negotiations are going on. If minimum thresholds are required, BBMo needs to keep pushing Key2 to minimize losses. The Key2 and BB could remain in the portfolio until licensing agreement ends. That’s reasonable and would tie in with a stretched out schedule of new device offering that was itself noncommittal for a Key3 that may not ever happen if costs are too high to move from Key2 costs.

Since Key3 could still happen, it requires BBMo satisfying licensing payments for Key2 and LE plus the costs for PIE upgrade. Then Key3 requires minimum commitment for PIE and 10 development.

It becomes obvious that BBMo and BB have much to negotiate beyond PIE and there’s nobody else to split costs with anymore. I suspect the Key2 LE might lead to a Key3 LE but that’s it. Lack of carrier support or commitment may be the bigger issue.

Regardless, the reality is the words aren’t committed in any direction, riding the proverbial wooden fence.
    That’s only leads to getting splinters in ones backside if done for any unreasonable length of time.
    09-11-19 07:26 PM
    The KeyOne does not get updates, but it is still a part of the Android recommended program. I think it is not tolerabel that TCL and Google still allow this. It is a swindle tolerated by TCL.
    It's Google's program, and Google decides who is and is not in it, what the requirements are, and what happens to non-compliant devices. BBMo has an agreement with Google about inclusion on the list, not with consumers.

BlackBerry promised 24 months to consumers. And It submitted whatever Google asked it to submit for the Android Enterprise Recommended program. If the Android Enterprise Recommended program doesn't mean anything, that's Google's responsibility.

Many of us said when the program was announced that it offered no guarantees that the updates would arrive, because there was, to our knowledge, no consequences for non-compliance other than possible delisting.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    09-11-19 07:56 PM

Do you believe that no one working for BBMo knows how to say "we will definitely be releasing new BB-branded phones in the near future as well as bringing Android Pie to the K2 family"? If that's what they meant, that's what they'd have said.

When you give a vague, non-committal answer to a direct question, that's called 'spin.' Spin is when you say something meaningless that makes people ASSUME you meant something real, which is designed to make you feel better even though they have really said nothing.

BB was "committed to BB10" for years after they laid off the entire BB10 team and sold off the buildings they worked in - and some people believed that "being committed" meant that new devices and further development would somehow still come, but it never did. Hell, a few people STILL believe!

You have to learn how to separate spin from real information, and understand that spin is intentional deception - and what does it mean when a company is answering direct questions with deception? Rarely is it good news that they are trying to conceal.
    Last edited by Troy Tiscareno; 09-11-19 at 08:47 PM.
    09-11-19 08:13 PM

Exactly what I was thinking.

Posted via CB10
    Rico4you and joshualebowitz like this.
    09-11-19 08:52 PM
    Do you believe that no one working for BBMo knows how to say "we will definitely be releasing new BB-branded phones in the near future as well as bringing Android Pie to the K2 family"? If that's what they meant, that's what they'd have said.

When you give a vague, non-committal answer to a direct question, that's called 'spin.' Spin is when you say something meaningless that makes people ASSUME you meant something real, which is designed to make you feel better even though they have really said nothing.

BB was "committed to BB10" for years after they laid off the entire BB10 team and sold off the buildings they worked in - and some people believed that "being committed" meant that new devices and further development would somehow still come, but it never did. Hell, a few people STILL believe!

You have to learn how to separate spin from real information, and understand that spin is intentional deception - and what does it mean when a company is answering direct questions with deception? Rarely is it good news that they are trying to conceal.
    How to give one thousand like to this post!
    joshualebowitz likes this.
    09-11-19 09:33 PM

It was a non-committal answer, which is what companies give when they either don't have an answer or when they don't want to give the answer. We don't know yet which one of those it is. Only time will tell. Some people like to make predictions or says they are sure of the answer. I've never understood the value of that, personally. I'm happy to wait and see. It's unlikely that I'll buy another Android phone before 2021 anyway, as I'm happy with my KEYone, and my BB10 phone my still work perfectly at that point anyway!

Posted with my trusty Z10
    09-11-19 10:00 PM

Point 7
    In that case the list would be empty because only devices that ship with Android 10 can support Mainline.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/3/20...d-availability
    09-11-19 11:52 PM
210 ... 45678 ...