BlackBerry would have to stop using SwiftKey API, which I believe they have. That's part of why word prediction on BlackBerry got bad for a bit and some features were removed, outside of those that covered the PKB issues.
    So BlackBerry would have to no longer licence their Keyboard to TCL ? (No longer use the Swiftkey API).
    09-10-19 12:01 PM
    So this thread got me thinking. With then impending doom of BB handsets as we know it today, what exactly *will* BB do with their vkb? If it's so dependent on the SwiftKey API and not available on the app store and BB itself no will no longer have any supported Android slabs on the market, why would they continue to license SwiftKey?

And if that day comes, are we all going to have to save the last version of the BB vkb apk and hope that we can install it on all future Androids? Does it even work that way? I have clue!

While I am a total pkb honk, I do love me that BB pkb and can still pivot from qwerty to slab to back again as needed. If the BB vkb does indeed go the way of the BB pkb, is there a comparable vkb out there that's super similar to BB's iteration?

I don't like this!!! Too much BB stuff being taken away from me!!! Wah!
    09-10-19 12:42 PM
    So this thread got me thinking. With then impending doom of BB handsets as we know it today, what exactly *will* BB do with their vkb? If it's so dependent on the SwiftKey API and not available on the app store and BB itself no will no longer have any supported Android slabs on the market, why would they continue to license SwiftKey?

And if that day comes, are we all going to have to save the last version of the BB vkb apk and hope that we can install it on all future Androids? Does it even work that way? I have clue!

While I am a total pkb honk, I do love me that BB pkb and can still pivot from qwerty to slab to back again as needed. If the BB vkb does indeed go the way of the BB pkb, is there a comparable vkb out there that's super similar to BB's iteration?

I don't like this!!! Too much BB stuff being taken away from me!!! Wah!
    As Bla1ze indicated, BlackBerry has made some moves as of late to apparently extracted themselves from their SwiftKey dependence. How far they've gotten, or how it stands from a legal perspective is unknown.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    09-10-19 12:54 PM
    I thought the whole point of the last vkb update was to write their own engine to remove Swiftkey then?

Do we know if Swiftkey is still in the app?
    09-10-19 01:23 PM
    I thought the whole point of the last vkb update was to write their own engine to remove Swiftkey then?

Do we know if Swiftkey is still in the app?
    @LiamQ Any word on this?
    Last edited by Smokeaire; 09-10-19 at 03:48 PM.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    09-10-19 02:02 PM
    I can understand that but then what is it that makes the BlackBerry keyboard special? How can Swiftkey and BlackBerry make a deal to bring a BlackBerry VKB to market?
    You can "flick" words on BlackBerry VKB, but not on Swiftkey.

I actually think the BlackBerry VKB is junk now after the most recent updates. Gboard is much more accurate and better supported.
    09-10-19 03:00 PM
    If the BB vkb does indeed go the way of the BB pkb, is there a comparable vkb out there that's super similar to BB's iteration?
    Yes, there are options. I use Fleksy. More configuration options with similar swipe gestures to the BB android VKB offering.
    09-10-19 05:47 PM
    You can "flick" words on BlackBerry VKB, but not on Swiftkey.

I actually think the BlackBerry VKB is junk now after the most recent updates.
    As Bla1ze stated, this is most likely due to the replacement of the SwiftKey prediction engine with one of BB's own design. SwiftKey has a decade's worth of constant improvement and refinement, and that's not easy to replace overnight.
    09-10-19 06:10 PM
    BlackBerry apps are due in for an update this month. I hope the Keyboard app is included in the updates.
    09-10-19 08:00 PM
    I read the article with the help of translator. Article seems to repeat the rumors and speculation we’ve said here for months. It’s been apparent since the extended release schedule was announced changes were happening. As usual, BBMo/TCT and TCL aren’t commenting but using negative consent to force a response isn’t the same as getting a response.

In essence, all we’ve got is employees repeating the six month old message again. That’s not really telling us anything except BBMo isn’t happy with the invoice and price quote for Android PIE for Key2 and Key3 and needs to decide next course of action. We can speculate they’re unloading inventory wherever they can move it for their exit but again speculation. Find interesting to use display space for Key models if exit decision has been made as not smart to mix failed device from divorced relationship with the new brand image. It suggests TCL may face penalties to exit so negotiations continue.
    If TCL is unloading inventory wherever it can be unloaded, then I wonder why I had to scrounge around to find a KEY2 and finally only found a used one, when I finally got some extra money to buy one in June? (I do admit that I wanted a silver one, which made it harder).
    I got it to tide me over till that elusive KEY3 is (hopefully) released. It didn't help things to read in the German article that they have a prototype and it is an exciting device...
    Rico4you and herbersh like this.
    09-10-19 08:10 PM
    The end of BlackBerry devices is sad and frustrating, but will always appreciate how reliable their devices have been over the last 20 years. Tomorrow morning is the anniversary of 9/11. Many of us New Yorkers relied on the 950 devices to communicate on that day, as they never stopped working, even when all of the cell phone service went out. No idea how much longer people will even mention the BlackBerry device brand, and the current leadership doesn't seem to care, but seemed important to remember why some of us have been so loyal to it.
    Last edited by joshualebowitz; 09-10-19 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Missing a word
    09-10-19 08:19 PM
    The end of BlackBerry devices is sad and frustrating, but will always appreciate how reliable their devices have been over the last 20 years. Tomorrow morning is the anniversary of 9/11. Many of us New Yorkers relied on the 950 devices to communicate on that day, as they never stopped working, even when all of the cell phone service went out. No idea how much longer people will even mention the BlackBerry device brand, and the current leadership doesn't seem to care, but seemed important to remember why some of us have been so loyal to it.
    A somber memory. Those of us who are old enough to remember that day, cannot forget.
    Last edited by Sigewif; 09-10-19 at 09:37 PM.
    09-10-19 08:57 PM
    Probably the most 'official' on the record comment to come from IFA about the situation.

TCL insists Alcatel and BlackBerry are not dead.

“Alcatel and BlackBerry remain part of the larger TCL Communication product portfolio,” said Gerdon. “The addition of the TCL brand is in complement to those devices we already have in our portfolio, not a replacement of them.”
    https://www.androidauthority.com/tcl...power-1027761/
    09-10-19 09:35 PM
    Makes sense, why would TLC launch their own mainstream device on the back of a BB and Palm failure or a withdrawal from the market - BBMo is not going away. BBLtd also have skin in the game, despite what some say here, a footprint and lever for pull-through sales - they are a security company afterall.

Posted via CB10
    Sigewif likes this.
    09-10-19 09:50 PM
    Probably the most 'official' on the record comment to come from IFA about the situation.

This should be a separate thread rather than buried on page 5 of a thread that's lost focus?

Posted via CB10
    herbersh likes this.
    09-10-19 10:07 PM
    This should be a separate thread rather than buried on page 5 of a thread that's lost focus?

Posted via CB10
    Meh. Still the trending thread right now and most people jump to the end before going back.
    09-10-19 10:12 PM
    As Bla1ze stated, this is most likely due to the replacement of the SwiftKey prediction engine with one of BB's own design. SwiftKey has a decade's worth of constant improvement and refinement, and that's not easy to replace overnight.
    Maybe? Dunno. All I know is lately anything with a BlackBerry logo on it has been underwhelming.
    cribble2k likes this.
    09-10-19 10:12 PM

Noteworthy front page news to cheer everyone up!

It may be puffing, but I'll take it.
    09-10-19 10:17 PM
    Noteworthy front page news to cheer everyone up!

It may be puffing, but I'll take it.
    Exactly it's front page news and consistent with TLC displaying BB devices at the IFA - ie., range of products.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-19 10:21 PM
    TCL employee should say that to the media when they don't have any final decision about their relationship with BlackBerry.

No surprise here!
    But their latest actions proved otherwise.
    Well, still better than none.
    09-10-19 10:29 PM

Well, that is a good report. Thank you Bla1ze for tracking down that quote.
    Looking at it from a distribution view point, their own line of phones could actually be a boost for the niche phones TCL makes. A sales person with those extra niche products, among the offerings, can add to the bottom line in this way without making extra sales calls.
    It is called Upselling.
    Rico4you and bb9900user2018 like this.
    09-10-19 10:50 PM
    I think all we can say with much certainty is that TCL are unlikely to make a PKB device under their own brand.

“The addition of the TCL brand is in complement to those devices we already have in our portfolio, not a replacement of them.”

“TCL’s Gerdon says the Plex is “the first of an entire new line of TCL mobility devices which will be announced over the next year. While this is just our first announcement here at IFA, we will be sharing additional device news for expanded markets — including the U.S. and U.K. — at CES and MWC in 2020.”

Taken literally, no commitments made .
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 09-11-19 at 12:42 AM.
    09-11-19 12:20 AM

And Bla1ze calms the mini doom n gloom jabs included negative storm started here.

Thank you
    09-11-19 02:45 AM
    that was almost a passing remark, but I guess it's just enough to keep that flicker of hope alive. IBIWISI!
    09-11-19 05:16 AM
    I think that quote indicated that, as of that moment, it's possible that no final decision had been made by TCL. Hey still are BlackBerry licensees, and they still have products in the distribution channel.

It's definitely not a forward-looking statement!

Posted with my trusty Z10
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    09-11-19 07:59 AM
210 ... 23456 ...