This is what basically puzzles me about how revolutionary/evolutionary this universal app thing is. It's still reliant on having certain API's available, kinda like Unity, but in Unity's case, the API has been ported to multiple platforms. You could say Unity is more universal than Windows 10 since you build the back-end once, adjust for interface/input, and compile for whatever target platform you want. Sure, you can't copy the binary over between BB10 and Android, but how does Windows 10 handle that? Are there still separate binaries for CPU architecture, in which case, binaries aren't universal, or are binaries translated on-the-fly (CPU/memory overhead) or translated once and resaved (storage overhead) or multiple binaries embedded (storage overhead)?
    Difference between Windows 10 vs Unity is that you don't have to compile for each platform. You have one app, you compile it once and install it on multiple platforms. The binaries just take the calls from the apps. So the app doesn't contain the binaries. Just the API calls to the binaries.
    08-27-15 08:11 AM
    Yes go to the OS that killed Nokia. Brilliant!

Posted via Z30
    08-27-15 08:18 AM
    Microsoft's universal app would be no different than if BlackBerry finally released BB10 on the PlayBook. BlackBerry could then claim universal app because BB10 would be on tablets /and/ phones.

This whole universal app thing only straightens out Microsoft's previous situation of having multiple OS'es, for desktop, tablet (RT), and phones. Yes, they did one better than Apple, since Apple hasn't unified desktop and mobile, but the situation hasn't stopped Apple from being a success, i.e. developers weren't asking to be able to port their mobile to desktop, nor were users asking for it.

Microsoft's universal app still doesn't solve their main issue: getting mobile developers to port to their platform. How much does an Android/iOS developer gain from porting to Windows 10? A bunch of desktop users? It's certainly not Windows 10 phone users as there aren't many.
    Yes. You are right that if BB10 was on the Playbook, then you could say that BB10 apps are device independent.

As an enterprise developer, Windows 10 is very exciting which is why I am doing my R&D on it right now. I can write the companies internal applications for the desktop and since we have a lot of people in the field, the exact same application can be distributed to their phones. I only have one app to design and maintain. I only have to compile it once. That makes Windows 10 phones ideal for companies that use Windows on the desktop. There are MANY of those.

As for consumers, the Windows 10 apps will run on a Windows 10 PC, Surface, Phone and XBox. That opens a lot of possibilities.
    08-27-15 08:19 AM
    Have to agree .... Just was playing around with WP10 and was shocked at what they are collecting. WP10 my be worse than android for tracking you.... will be rolling back to Windows 7.
    08-27-15 09:07 AM
    Yes go to the OS that killed Nokia. Brilliant!

Posted via Z30
    or stay with the OS that is killing BB....
    08-27-15 09:42 AM
    Difference between Windows 10 vs Unity is that you don't have to compile for each platform. You have one app, you compile it once and install it on multiple platforms. The binaries just take the calls from the apps. So the app doesn't contain the binaries. Just the API calls to the binaries.
    This still doesn't make sense to me...

The app just does API calls to the binaries, right? That sounds like the app can only do whatever the binaries allow. It sounds like the app is limited to whatever functionality Microsoft has decided to make. What if you have back-end code for a new way to compute spreadsheet formulas? Wouldn't you compile that into a binary with an API? In that case, are you saying that the binary you're compiling is "universal" in that it can run on multiple CPU architectures? How does that work?

It's beginning to sound like, to me, that apps are made up of existing libraries/functions and that there's no longer custom work being done anymore.
    08-27-15 11:31 AM
    I think Windows Phone OS is very good but not sure it would be a good fit for BlackBerry. I don't see what it brings to the table over Blackberry 10.

AT&T BlackBerry Passport 10.3.2.556
    08-27-15 11:35 AM
    Yes. You are right that if BB10 was on the Playbook, then you could say that BB10 apps are device independent.

As an enterprise developer, Windows 10 is very exciting which is why I am doing my R&D on it right now. I can write the companies internal applications for the desktop and since we have a lot of people in the field, the exact same application can be distributed to their phones. I only have one app to design and maintain. I only have to compile it once. That makes Windows 10 phones ideal for companies that use Windows on the desktop. There are MANY of those.

As for consumers, the Windows 10 apps will run on a Windows 10 PC, Surface, Phone and XBox. That opens a lot of possibilities.
    Thanks for sharing your background and perspective.

I think we have multiple device interfaces for different use cases because each is tailored to what we're doing. Does it really make sense to use gamepads to work with spreadsheets and wordprocessors? Does it make sense to play an Xbox game on a phone where the controls consume some of the screen real estate and don't provide any useful tactile feedback? What about a VR app running on a tablet? ...
    08-27-15 11:35 AM
    Off the Titanic, onto the Hindenburg...

Posted via CB10
    Lol indeed.

Send from the amazing powers of the  Z30
    08-27-15 04:15 PM
    Have to agree .... Just was playing around with WP10 and was shocked at what they are collecting. WP10 my be worse than android for tracking you.... will be rolling back to Windows 7.
    Rolling back to Windows 7 from WP10? I think you are getting Windows 10 confused with Windows phone 10 (WP10). Windows phone 10 has not been released yet.
    08-27-15 10:11 PM
    For those having privacy nightmares regarding Windows 10, I offer you a commentary by Ed Bott: http://www.zdnet.com/article/no-micr...tag=TRE5369823

BlackBerry Passport SE driven by 10.3.2.2339 on T-Mobile
    08-28-15 05:25 PM
    For those having privacy nightmares regarding Windows 10, I offer you a commentary by Ed Bott: No, Microsoft is not spying on you with Windows 10 | ZDNet

That guy and ZDNET are bought and paid for by Microsoft. I would never believe anything they write about Microsoft. Sorry. Windows 10 collects data and spy's on it's users more than any version of Windows in the past. Why do you think they are giving it out for "free" right now. "Free" means we don't charge you for this because you are paying for the product with your data. People still don't care about this just like they don't care about what Google does.
    08-28-15 07:56 PM
    That guy and ZDNET are bought and paid for by Microsoft. I would never believe anything they write about Microsoft. Sorry. Windows 10 collects data and spy's on it's users more than any version of Windows in the past. Why do you think they are giving it out for "free" right now. "Free" means we don't charge you for this because you are paying for the product with your data. People still don't care about this just like they don't care about what Google does.
    Too bad BlackBerry does not have a writer like Ed Bott available to them.

Ed has specialized in researching and writing about MS Windows.

That does not make him evil! What does he gain in the long term if he is as you suggest, a shill for MS.

08-28-15 08:16 PM
    Too bad BlackBerry does not have a writer like Ed Bott available to them.

Ed has specialized in researching and writing about MS Windows.

That does not make him evil! What does he gain in the long term if he is as you suggest, a shill for MS.

You really can't be that blind.. As we, folks of CB, know that almost every review here let people think every BlackBerry ever manufactured is astonishing, you should understand the same in regards to that guy..

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    08-28-15 08:33 PM
    You really can't be that blind.. As we, folks of CB, know that almost every review here let people think every BlackBerry ever manufactured is astonishing, you should understand the same in regards to that guy..

Posted via CB10
    Fine!

Who are the authors you deem credible and reliable regarding Windows 10 since several comments in this thread have deemed Windows 10 as evil as, or more so, than Google?

I have found the Windows Inside/Out series to be instructive, informative, and insightful. It just so happens that Ed Bott is the coauthor of the Windows 10 version. Am I to assume that this reference will not be a worthy successors to its predecessors?

You are entitled to an opinion, but if you want credibility, then provide alternatives for interested parties to study the question at hand rather than a smackdown.

I visit CB to learn as well as to offer an opinion now and then.

With 75 million Windows 10 installations booked I still believe in approaching it with caution from credible sources. I do not believe I am alone.

Last edited by GenghisKahn2011; 08-28-15 at 10:59 PM.
    08-28-15 09:34 PM
    Windows on BlackBerry devices won't fly. :-D

There is just no way to customize or differentiate on this closed source platform. Android though, allows for forking and customizations...

�   Andro-Loader (TM) - who is gonna leak ...? Black-Berry! dadadada dee dum dee dum...   �
    08-29-15 05:41 AM
    Blackberry with Windows Phone is an even worse idea than Android. Windows Phone is not getting any traction like BB10 so why would swap out BB10 for another OS with minuscule market share. WP has been around for 5 years now and its market share is shrinking, to around 2%! WP is dead.
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    08-29-15 07:22 AM
    Rolling back to Windows 7 from WP10? I think you are getting Windows 10 confused with Windows phone 10 (WP10). Windows phone 10 has not been released yet.
    I am running Windows 10 phone on a Nokia device. Windows actually has a road map and releases previews so developers and real world people can try it out and provide feedback.
    TgeekB and lift like this.
    08-29-15 07:29 AM
    This still doesn't make sense to me...

The app just does API calls to the binaries, right? That sounds like the app can only do whatever the binaries allow. It sounds like the app is limited to whatever functionality Microsoft has decided to make. What if you have back-end code for a new way to compute spreadsheet formulas? Wouldn't you compile that into a binary with an API? In that case, are you saying that the binary you're compiling is "universal" in that it can run on multiple CPU architectures? How does that work?

It's beginning to sound like, to me, that apps are made up of existing libraries/functions and that there's no longer custom work being done anymore.
    The custom work would be using libraries that provide basic functionality. Most code is compiled against libraries. Even libraries can be low level functions.
    08-29-15 07:31 AM
    Thanks for sharing your background and perspective.

I think we have multiple device interfaces for different use cases because each is tailored to what we're doing. Does it really make sense to use gamepads to work with spreadsheets and wordprocessors? Does it make sense to play an Xbox game on a phone where the controls consume some of the screen real estate and don't provide any useful tactile feedback? What about a VR app running on a tablet? ...
    I think you are thinking about this too narrowly. The functionality of the app changes with the platform. ie the desktop version allows for detailed data entry using a keyboard and has reports. The phone version has search functions and simple data entry and reports. XBox version provides reports and allows for multimedia and customer feedback. And you can now run XBox apps on a windows tablet.
    08-29-15 07:35 AM
    Microsoft has missed the boat in my opinion years ago! Apple and blackberry have accomplished more in one year then Microsoft has.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-15 03:43 PM
    Microsoft has missed the boat in my opinion years ago! Apple and blackberry have accomplished more in one year then Microsoft has.

Posted via CB10
    Interesting that you speak of BlackBerry in the same sentence as Apple.

In your mind, what has BlackBerry done to deserve this accolade?

08-29-15 05:25 PM
    Interesting that you speak of BlackBerry in the same sentence as Apple.

In your mind, what has BlackBerry done to deserve this accolade?

That's what I was wondering.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-15 06:56 PM
98 ... 234