Hi Everyone,

I've searched the forums for this answer, but have not found anything so far, hence the new Thread.

I use BB Messenger a lot, but in the Profiles area that controls sounds it has an area that confuses me and I don't understand. One of the options in the Profiles is: "Messenger - Alert". Now I had originally assumed this was the same as the PING in Messenger, but it is not!! In fact I have no idea what a Messenger Alert is?

What is a Messenger Alert??? Can someone answer that??

Also, what I want the most is to be able to set a sound for the Messenger PING function. I can only seem to see a setting that makes the BB vibrate and nothing more. I seldom use the vibrate feature for anything, and it does me no good when my phone is on a desk to vibrate when one of my Messenger contacts PING's me. I know I can set a sound to the "Messenger - New Message", but I don't want to do that. I don't need a sound everytime a new message comes in, especially when I'm talking back and forth. What I need is simply a SOUND for the PING to alert me that someone is trying to reach me on the BB Messenger application.

I'm sure others have run into this annoying problem. So if you can help and point me in the right direction it would be most appreciated! Thanks!!
    07-07-08 09:19 AM
    i think the alert is when someone requests to add you, or things along that line, while a message is obviously when you get a message.
    07-07-08 09:25 AM
    The ping is just kinda like a doorbell? Hey are you home do you wanna chat. The Alert you set notifies you of when that contact is available to chat and in service. You should be able to change ur alert sound but I am doubtful the ping can be changed. If someone on here knows they will help. Good luck.
    07-07-08 09:31 AM
    i'm certainly no expert but i somehow managed to set an alert for when i get a text or ping...the infamous "you got mail" alert....i'll have to play around to remember but somewhere under options i believe.....might have answer later today...just running out when i caught this.
    07-07-08 09:46 AM
    Profiles>advanced>edit(the profile you wanna change)>messenger alert
    07-07-08 01:24 PM
    Profiles>advanced>edit(the profile you wanna change)>messenger alert
    i tried that and it still do not work. i will admit that at one time it was working and then it stopped. dont know if something i did or not.
    07-07-08 04:08 PM
    what about where it says out of holster make sure that it's selected for tone??

I had the same issue and I just had to make sure it was selected for tone or whatever I wanted.
    08-06-08 04:50 PM
    I use the preloaded "sonar" alert for BB Messenger. Sounds like a ping,or pretty close...
    08-06-08 04:53 PM
    thanks for the help yall! still getting the hang of these but i must say i love my crackberry
    11-11-08 11:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD