Interesting to note that in the aftermath of yesterday's tragedy in DC, during the course of news interviews on TV with Navy officers and contractors in the building at the time of the shooting, BlackBerry was mentioned a number of times. "Yeah, we all got our BlackBerrys out, texting and calling everybody." "Well, as soon as we heard shots, me and my staff pulled the BlackBerrys out, trying to find out what was going on above us." etc...... Similar comments from other's interviewed. I don't think we heard the word "phone" or "cell phone" one time, just BlackBerry. Just an observation. Our prayers go out to the family and friends of those slain and injured.
    09-17-13 12:54 PM
    Interesting to note that in the aftermath of yesterday's tragedy in DC, during the course of news interviews on TV with Navy officers and contractors in the building at the time of the shooting, BlackBerry was mentioned a number of times. "Yeah, we all got our BlackBerrys out, texting and calling everybody." "Well, as soon as we heard shots, me and my staff pulled the BlackBerrys out, trying to find out what was going on above us." etc...... Similar comments from other's interviewed. I don't think we heard the word "phone" or "cell phone" one time, just BlackBerry. Just an observation. Our prayers go out to the family and friends of those slain and injured.

I think it's a well-known fact that US military agencies have a very large percentage of Blackberries as mobile devices.

However that dominance is not going to last for too much longer, it seems.
    raggdoll likes this.
    09-17-13 01:03 PM
    I heard something like that on CNN too. It was one of the witnesses, I believe.

I also heard one of their reporters (Dana Bash, was it?) read something off her BB on the air. Not 100% sure, but I think it was a 9900.
    09-17-13 01:04 PM
    I noticed that too!! What a horrible tragedy!!

Posted via CB10 on my Q10
    09-17-13 01:05 PM
    13 people dead, 8 wounded and the simple mention of BlackBerry in the news coverage garners a thread. Wonderful
    09-17-13 01:10 PM
    13 people dead, 8 wounded and the simple mention of BlackBerry in the news coverage garners a thread. Wonderful
    You read my mind.

Anyone going to the funerals to count how many mourners use BB devices?
    kbz1960, howards, Oglon3r and 7 others like this.
    09-17-13 01:16 PM
    I didn't take it as that. I took it as how ubiquitous BlackBerries still are in some industries/areas/towns, despite the general, noticeable trend of shrinking market share. Was it a tragedy? Absolutely. In every sense of the word. But if this were the US Open or some other highly covered by media event, it would still have generated a thread here.
    09-17-13 01:17 PM
    Sadly, some of the only times I hear BlackBerry on TV is during something like this.

I remember during the manhunt for the Boston Marathon bombers, the news reporters would be scrolling down on their BlackBerrys while reporting, or I'd hear some of the legacy device notifications going off.

It's nice to see that BlackBerrys are still on the front lines, even during these all too common shooting tragedies that seem to happen every week in the U.S.
    09-17-13 01:19 PM
    I didn't take it as that. I took it as how ubiquitous BlackBerries still are in some industries/areas/towns, despite the general, noticeable trend of shrinking market share. Was it a tragedy? Absolutely. In every sense of the word. But if this were the US Open or some other highly covered by media event, it would still have generated a thread here.
    Well, I took it the opposite.

So absurd.
    kbz1960 and raggdoll like this.
    09-17-13 01:20 PM
    Sadly, some of the only times I hear BlackBerry on TV is during something like this.

I remember during the manhunt for the Boston Marathon bombers, the news reporters would be scrolling down on their BlackBerrys while reporting, or I'd hear some of the legacy device notifications going off.

It's nice to see that BlackBerrys are still on the front lines, even during these all too common shooting tragedies that seem to happen every week in the U.S.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-17-13 01:20 PM

Probably because people have done plenty of reading and listening and talking about the shooting itself everywhere else but here.

But since this is a Blackberry forum, people here will discuss the Blackberry aspect.

Really don't see what the issue is. It's not either/or, has nothing to do with people "not caring" about the rest.
    09-17-13 01:21 PM
    Probably because people have done plenty of reading and listening and talking about the shooting itself everywhere else but here.

But since this is a Blackberry forum, people here will discuss the Blackberry aspect.

Really don't see what the issue is. It's not either/or, has nothing to do with people "not caring" about the rest.
    Nobody is accusing the OP of not caring. It's simply the fact that a tragedy occurred and someone is shedding light on
    a Blackberry getting a mention. Regardless of this being a Blackberry forum or not, it's just stupid.
    morales0416 and h20work like this.
    09-17-13 01:23 PM
    And when Haiti had their earthquake, BlackBerry was the device that just worked....Seems like its the go to device when the world is ending either from a macro or micro level.

Shame events like this even happen.
    09-17-13 01:27 PM
    I know this is a fan site and I know the OP is a good person but I struggle to understand how anyone could watch this coverage, realize there are a number of dead, a number of injured and many family, friends and loved ones that will struggle with this AND think "hey, they just said BlackBerry, how cool. I got to make a post about that". That's all.
    09-17-13 01:30 PM
    This is your argument? That the thread is stupid? Christ you should have more than 129 posts if you're going to call out the threads you don't find interesting. Give it a rest guys, the OP wasn't beind disrespectful
    09-17-13 01:33 PM
    Nobody is accusing the OP of not caring. It's simply the fact that a tragedy occurred and someone is shedding light on
    a Blackberry getting a mention. Regardless of this being a Blackberry forum or not, it's just stupid.

No more stupid than the fact you are here reading and complaining about it, instead of immediately logging-off and spending your day honoring the dead from that tragedy rather than hanging out on a Blackberry forum.

People do have to get on with their lives, and to some people, a big part of their lives revolves around certain online communities they frequent. Including yourself. Right now.
    09-17-13 01:45 PM
    This thread should be deleted regardless of the OPs intent.

Whether or not it was intended to be offensive, it is not relevant to blackberry's success (or failure) as a company. it would be the same as posting in a Starbucks forum how many people were finishing their coffee when this horrific act of terror occured.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-13 01:47 PM
    BlackBerry was also called out for the ad that AT&T did for September 11th, even though they likely had nothing to do with it. People notice things, and they post them. It does not make it stupid, or irreverent, or anything of the like. It is a simple observation and the tragedy was only used as a point of reference.

Let us not forget that during Hurricane Katrina and during the actual September 11th events, BlackBerry was mentioned as the only communications tool that really worked. This is not a new phenomenon, it is just a part of life.
    CeeXTwo, Carl Estes, Uzi and 5 others like this.
    09-17-13 01:51 PM
    This thread should be deleted regardless of the OPs intent.

Whether or not it was intended to be offensive, it is not relevant to blackberry's success (or failure) as a company. it would be the same as posting in a Starbucks forum how many people were finishing their coffee when this horrific act of terror occured.

Posted via CB10
    No, it's really not the same thing at all.

A cup of Starbucks coffee was not something people turned to for news and updates about a terror attack around them, in the situation you made up.

Never did it cross my mind that the OP's post was insensitive or in poor taste.

I look at it as: I wonder how many people pulled out their BlackBerrys and got information that was helpful to them, possibly saving their lives? They used their BlackBerrys to get updates on a fluid, dangerous situation, to make themselves aware of what's going on around them while they were hiding.

It's not like the OP was like, "Did anyone see the people covered in blood running out of the building? I think I saw a Q10!"
    Last edited by SK122387; 09-17-13 at 02:08 PM.
    09-17-13 01:57 PM
    Yeah, it's really stupid to bring up how people were mentioning that they used their BlackBerrys to get info while they hid and then fled for their lives. What a horrible thing to mention that someone used it as a tool to help them.

It's really unbelievable how sensitive people are in this world today.
    homer1475, nuangel2 and maddie1128 like this.
    09-17-13 02:03 PM
    You know, there is like some type of unwritten social rule, or norm, when a tragedy like this is discussed, you can only say words of condolence any nothing else. If you do mention something else, it is somehow disrespectful. I find that to be absolutist and narrow minded thinking. The OP also offered words of condolence and people still took offence, I find that absurd.
    Chaddface, maddie1128 and SK122387 like this.
    09-17-13 02:17 PM
    I understand the seriousness of the issue and the discussion which has spawned from it made me lie on the floor laughing.

When I read the OP, I thought:
    We are so into BlackBerry that we notice it everywhere....
    Whenever something bad happens, BlackBerry is there.
    Whenever somebody say something bad about BlackBerry the media is there.

Is it because they love BlackBerry as much as we do?

It's just interesting that I got to know BlackBerry as a struggling company slowly going bust and in the middle of serious diarrhoea shining with its chrome parts to the rescue.

Why do you guys make such a big fuss about it and cause me to have cramps in my belly with laughter while holding onto my Z10

Posted via CB10
    09-17-13 02:18 PM
    Yeah, it's really stupid to bring up how people were mentioning that they used their BlackBerrys to get info while they hid and then fled for their lives. What a horrible thing to mention that someone used it as a tool to help them.

It's really unbelievable how sensitive people are in this world today.
    I'm talking about creating a thread about it.
    09-17-13 02:25 PM
    You know, there is like some type of unwritten social rule, or norm, when a tragedy like this is discussed, you can only say words of condolence any nothing else. If you do mention something else, it is somehow disrespectful. I find that to be absolutist and narrow minded thinking. The OP also offered words of condolence and people still took offence, I find that absurd.

Yes, like the fact that the name of the thread that the OP chose includes "...yesterday's tragedy".

Would be interesting to do a study to ascertain how much intersection there is between the "I'm more pious than you" crowd vs the "my flag is bigger than yours" crowd.

So - does anyone know what the current marketshare of BB is within the US military, for smartphones? My sense is that it is something like 80% or so.
    09-17-13 02:25 PM
    i think we are getting more concerned these days
    09-17-13 02:29 PM
86 123 ...