I saw this when I re-downloaded Maps from BB's site tonight. This note confuses me as I have AT&T and had Maps on my Curve previously and it worked fine. It was able to pull up my location and give me directions/show progress on the map to a destination. While I'm at home right now and can't check the directions part since I'm not in a moving vehicle, Maps was able to locate me again using satellites (although it took awhile). Why does it say this on BB's site?
    03-15-08 09:17 PM
    AT&T blocks the BBMaps application when you do the software upgrades (and on the factory fresh units) as they want to sell the monthly service Telenav which they get a cut of the fees.

They count on the unsuspecting user not to know about BBMaps and just pay for the Telenav.

Good thing there is Crackberry.com...... to share the information.

Chris
    03-16-08 12:31 AM
    So if I go to update my OS BBMaps will disappear? Maybe this is why when I updated it tonight to follow John Clark's memory saving tips I had to download and reinstall Maps directly to my phone... Lame.
    03-16-08 12:49 AM
    I would assume so since you edited a file on the old OS. You would need to do the same to the new OS.
    03-16-08 12:53 AM
    just use google maps it's free!
    03-16-08 02:56 PM
    just use google maps it's free!
    Does the GPS on Google Maps do the same thing?
    03-16-08 04:58 PM
    Does the GPS on Google Maps do the same thing?
    Pretty much....

Google just needs to make it work over WiFi and I'd be all set...
    03-17-08 11:02 AM
    my google works on wifi. yours doesn't??

why does everyone keep saying... "y worry about bbmaps, just use google" well, here's why.. we want bbmaps to work. is that simple enough? or should we explain that we dont appreciate service providers crippling software that comes with our device so they can make money on an inferior product.

we dont like communist. if our phome has bbmaps on it... we want to see the icon for it.
    01-16-10 06:58 PM
    BBmaps doesn't have street view, Google maps does.
    01-16-10 07:12 PM
    my google works on wifi. yours doesn't??

why does everyone keep saying... "y worry about bbmaps, just use google" well, here's why.. we want bbmaps to work. is that simple enough? or should we explain that we dont appreciate service providers crippling software that comes with our device so they can make money on an inferior product.

we dont like communist. if our phome has bbmaps on it... we want to see the icon for it.
    Perfectly said! I couldn't agree more. I am pissed off that I can not use another app due to ATT locking and disabling a device I paid for!!! Earlier I was searching for a word to describe such behavior and the it is.........F#*@ing Communists!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-24-10 03:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD