Hi everyone, i'm new to blackberrys but having played around with my 8120 i'll not be using any other brand again. I am having one problem. I do not have an icon for blackberry maps on my homescreen. I have done a lot of searching through forums but cannot find answers to my problem.

Facts that may be of use to anyone able to help.
    1. My carrier is Orange and I have a 6mb BIS package.
    2. I have successfully set up my blackberry to receive emails from my yahoo account (a service I am very impressed with)
    3. I have also set up "[email protected]" email account
    4. Application wise I have successfully downloaded the facebook application and this works fine and I can visit the mobile site via WIFI connection fine.
    5. I have used the desktop manager to download blackberry maps to the phone and it shows in the "applications" list under "options" from the homescreen.
    Is the problem related to the TCP and APN? I do not understand this and they are blank at the moment. I did put "orangeinternet" in a one point but it didn't help.

Thanks for any ideas.
    Gavin
    01-29-08 06:19 PM
    If BBMaps shows in your Application list, you will find it somewhere on the Applications screen. Hit Menu>Show All on Apps screen to ensure all icons appear.

I'm not familiar with what Themes are available through your carrier, for most Themes the first 5 to 9 icons on the Applications screen are the ones that show on the Home screen. Therefore if you move your BBMaps icon on the Applications screen to one of the first five icons on that screen it should show on Home.

roll to BBMaps icon on Apps screen>BBMenu>Move>roll to desired position>press trackball
    01-29-08 07:03 PM
    ok if I go to "options" then "applications" I can see "Blackberry Maps 2.0.24" is there.
    BUT.... from my homescreen which shows the top five applications from the applications screen I press "applications" and then once there i've pressed the same button again and from the menu selected "show all" so it now has a tick next to it. All this does is bring up two additional icons which are ghosted (faint) which are "compose" and "saved messages". If it helps here is a list of the other applications

address book
    @blackberry.orange.co.uk mail
    call log
    Blackberry messenger
    setup wizard
    calender
    browser
    orange world
    media
    voice notes recorder
    video camera
    camera
    profiles
    tasks
    memopad
    alarm
    voice dialing
    brickbreaker
    calculator
    password keeper
    help
    search
    orange plus
    facebook
    email settings
    options
    set up wifi
    set up bluetooth
    manage connections
    keyboard lock
    turn power off

Sorry for the lengthy post but just feel more information is better.
    Thanks
    01-30-08 04:02 AM
    I would suggest resending your Service Books. I'm not familiar with options for doing this under your carrier.. If you're able to logon to your BIS account via your PC, you should be able to resend yourself, or just call your carrier, they can push the Service Books to your device.
    01-30-08 09:06 AM
    in my service book under "options" "advanced options" "service book" i can see blackberry maps EU [LbsC....
    is this still likely to be the cure?
    Also i am on a 6mb limited package and have looked at google maps but it says on the webpage that it is data intensive and recommends only using it with an unlimited package. is blackberry maps going to be any less data intensive? its the only reason i am messing about trying to get it to work. what sort of numbers are they talking about in terms of kB's?
    Finally, and forgive my basic knowledge but how does the data amount work, do you download a map which costs data then you can look round it as much as possible or are you charged for scrolling round the downloaded map as each screen requires a new amount of data?
    I am using my blackberry for recreation at the moment (so don't need unlimited data/can't afford it) as I firmly believe this will be the future of mobile phones especially in business and I intend to be ahead of the game this time (usually i'm in the stone age when it comes to technology)

Any help gratefully received
    Gavin
    01-30-08 09:52 AM
    Hi Gavin.... I have had exactly the same problem as yourself. Ive tried deleting all of the details in the service books accept the provisioning one,then restarted the handset by powering down and removing the battery and then re-powering up. Then gone to orange.blackberry.co.uk, logged in and then went to service books, send service books. (all this was what orange told me to do) But nothing has changed...? i can see the maps in the service books again but no icon in the applications menu. I have rung RIM and they say i have to get my support from my network provider..? So im currently going around in circles. Just to let you know, its nothing to do with orange putting there branded software upon them as the one that i have is a sim free version...????????
    04-01-08 06:06 PM
    Hi guys,

just to share your frustration and pain - I have an 8120 on Orange UK - all the blackberry maps info is the same as your's and ...no icon... google maps works just fine - and even better with my little keychain gps device though - but I'd like to try bb maps because it sounds like it might be better - anyone tried any other freebie satnav apps that are worth exploring?
    04-05-08 05:06 AM
    Orange's data plan for BlackBerry is unlimited, just the fair use policy is 6Mb. If you hit 6.2 you're not gonna be charged.

BB Maps uses data each time it loads a section of the map, not much though.

You may want to try re-installing BlackBerry Maps if it's not showing up; you can re-install it by going to mobile.BlackBerry.com from your device's BB Browser.

If you need any more help with anything feel free to contact me, if you'd rather speak properly I can email you a phone number:
    [email protected]
    20650E97

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    widderschynnes likes this.
    04-05-08 05:18 AM
    Hi guys,

just to share your frustration and pain - I have an 8120 on Orange UK - all the blackberry maps info is the same as your's and ...no icon... google maps works just fine - and even better with my little keychain gps device though - but I'd like to try bb maps because it sounds like it might be better - anyone tried any other freebie satnav apps that are worth exploring?
    I have tried a number of gps programs. They have different features. GPS-ED allows you to run a track and upload it either public or private and view it:

Amab2 | Author Ff2 | Mobile GPS Tracking Service

trekbuddy allows you to download maps in advance and place them on an sd card so you do not use data.

nav4all - gives voice directions.

bbtracker and blackberry tracker (different)
    widderschynnes likes this.
    04-05-08 10:33 AM
    Thanks Gavin - I just updated to 4.5 and lost BB Maps. Your procedure worked perfectly.

Thanks
    02-01-09 09:44 AM
    hello
    sir i have no blackberry map icon on my blackberry home screen . i search any where it but not found . In applictaion management i have already installed blackberry map what i do sir .
    please help.............................................. ..............
    its very imortant for me....
    08-30-13 09:39 PM
    I don't know what makes you think dudes from a thread dated 4 years ago are going to reply..

I assume you are using a BBOS device.. if so, do you have BIS?

C0001BBF0 - BlackBerry 10 help channel.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    08-30-13 09:44 PM
    I take it from the thread above that the BlackBerry Maps application can only be used with a BIS, and only after configuring with the BIS will the icon show up on the device home screen. I have BlackBerrry Maps 'hidden' in my Torch 9860, and tried using it over a Wi-Fi network. But, that was a 'fail'. So, I'm guessing the BlackBerry Maps application is exclusive to BIS or BES clients, and hence the reason it is hidden both from my Home screen and also it doesn't appear in my Applications folder. It only shows up through a search of the Help application. It would be nice if a future update for the Torch could allow BlackBerry Maps to work over Wi-Fi.
    Last edited by widderschynnes; 08-05-14 at 07:56 AM.
    12-30-13 08:31 PM
    Addendum to my post above. After activating a BIS account on my Torch 9860, I've found the (BlackBerry) Maps application works perfectly well over Wifi with no SIM in the device. Just needed a BIS or a BES connection to install the app out of its dormancy.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-14 07:40 AM
    Nice!
    But, how do you use it?
    I mean, how do you keep a continuous WiFi connection while traveling around town?
    Did I miss something?
    05-16-14 10:00 AM
    No, you're not missing anything. There's no way to keep a continuous wifi connection, driving round town. In Australia, lots of the high country (where the good trout fishing is) has no mobile coverage. If I browse maps of the area, using BlackBerry Maps over wifi, before going up-country, it means the maps are in the device memory, Even though those maps won't be available over the mobile network, when I'm up in the mountains. But, point taken, BlackBerry Maps is designed to be used on the mobile network primarily. Pleased, however, that the app works on OS7.1 over wifi, after one activates a BIS account.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by widderschynnes; 08-05-14 at 07:58 AM.
    08-05-14 07:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD