I just got a Bold 9700 and can't find BB maps on it. Help? Sorry if I am missing the obvious.
    08-25-10 05:03 PM
    AT&T blocks BBMaps because they prefer you to use their subscription app. You can actually install the app, you just can't get an icon to click to run it. I have read that you can create a QuickLaunch shortcut and run it that way, but I haven't tried it, since Verizon doesn't block it.
    08-25-10 05:07 PM
    What in the hay ** ** is that by AT&T?
    08-25-10 05:13 PM
    Hey, even that's more subtle than verizon who in the old days blocked the entire gps! Newer verizon bb's are no longer blocked from the gps.
    08-25-10 05:20 PM
    I didn't realize that AT&T blocked BB maps. That's bull!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-25-10 05:55 PM
    Enter this link into your browser:

http://mobileapps.blackberry.com/dev...?code=maps_sbi

I remember seeing this work-around when I first joined here and was looking for a way to get BB Maps on the phone.

You see, as said above, BB Maps can be installed on your phone. You can even access it through 3rd party programs like Poynt (setting BB Maps as default).

What this download does though is creates an icon.

The page brings you to a mobile version to download BB Maps. Click Download Now.

Set your language and accept terms and conditions

What you'll be downloading is not the full version of BB Maps, however, but a file called lbs_ribbion version 0.9 from RIM (10.0kb in size)

Download it, give it a few seconds, and somewhere (App folder, main home, or downloads) you should see the Blackberry Maps icon pop up. It works, you can click on it, and it will open up BB Maps just fine.

The only thing I've noticed is that occasionally restarting the phone the icon will disappear; you'll just have to download it again. Also, resending service books apparently gets rid of it as well. Again, if that happens, just re-download it. It's a good idea to save the link somewhere for quick access.

Give it a try. It works on my 8900 and I'd imagine it should work on your 9700 as well.
    08-26-10 11:20 AM
    I "think" this is what I'm using: http://forums.crackberry.com/f152/bb...cher-t-369440/

I had unhid BB Maps, but any time AT&T pushed a wireless update, it was gone.
    08-26-10 12:38 PM
    This is going to be a problem for RIM going forward. Android applications have a minimum acceptable install to be supported by Google. In truth, Google created Android as a response to the BS VZW, Microsoft and RIM pulled by limiting the default search options on some Berries to eliminate Google from the list, while keeping Bing. Or VZW's crippling of GPS on the 8330 to charge extra for an application that wasn't regularly updated. Or AT&T/Apple preventing Google Voice. The list is pretty long for every carrier.

Users find ways around it. But it decreases the utility of the devices, despite what some here will claim, the phone belongs to the customer. Things that limit the usability of the device by crippling features causes most people to feel they are losing something they paid for.
    Last edited by Exiled Bulldawg; 08-26-10 at 04:40 PM. Reason: spelling
    08-26-10 01:36 PM
    I personally prefer google maps to blackberry maps. bb maps has never seem to run fast enough to my liking.
    08-26-10 01:39 PM
    All you have to do is install it like JeffH said. Any app that requires BB maps will use
    it anyway.
    08-26-10 02:25 PM
    All you have to do is install it like JeffH said. Any app that requires BB maps will use
    it anyway.
    Right, but if the OP wants to just use BB Maps by itself and open it from the Application/Download folder, either the ribbion or .jad trick has to be used.
    08-26-10 03:41 PM
    Right, but if the OP wants to just use BB Maps by itself and open it from the Application/Download folder, either the ribbion or .jad trick has to be used.
    That's true but eventually the icon goes away. Quicklaunch is the OP's best bet. Or just opening BB maps in an app that uses it.
    08-26-10 03:53 PM
    Google Maps eclipses Blackberry Maps.
    08-26-10 07:24 PM
    Google Maps eclipses Blackberry Maps.
    ...in data usage.

But since you probably have unlimited data on ATT; irrelevant.
    08-26-10 08:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD