Dummy here (that'd be ME) trusted someone's link to "a cool BlackBerry app" which, I believe, was malware. Link was to a .jad file named tankkiller.jad which I (stoopidly) trusted. I downloaded and gave it permission to run and it started deleting files on my media card. I caught it before it went too far; but lost about 30% of my mp3 files.

I guess just another warning - just like downloading to your PC, make sure you know what you're getting into before you click "install"
    07-21-10 01:37 PM
    So, is this a question, or a statement?

Not quite sure, given your topic title and post.
    07-21-10 01:39 PM
    Thanks for the heads up!!!
    07-21-10 01:45 PM
    Most likely you wont ever find stuff like this in the appworld or in mobihand etc... You do indeed need to be careful when installing random, standalone apps OTA. It could be anything.
    07-21-10 01:49 PM
    Jobs probably made that one himself!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-10 01:54 PM
    Thanks for the info.
    More and more crap is being passed on along on BBM and when I find someone who passes on that garbage I delete them.

This is ridiculous.

Scammers are scammers no matter where they turn up. First it was pirated software, now it's an app that kills files off a storage card. Good god!
    07-21-10 01:56 PM
    So, is this a question, or a statement?

Not quite sure, given your topic title and post.
    I guess the question is: "has anyone else run across anything like this?" and the statement is "beware of downloading apps not from an established provider e.g. App World, CrackBerry Apps, MobiHand, etc."

I backed out of the app as soon as it started deleting my files and removed the app, re-booted and so far everything seems to be fine other than losing a few mp3s.

This was on my Bold 9700, BTW. The download link was on Facebook and unlike some of the spoofed messages, there was a follow-up comment on the wall post by the same person saying "make sure you view the link from your BlackBerry". Anyway, MY BAD - I allowed myself to get sucked in. It put an icon on my desktop called Tank Killer with a picture of a tank, which I assumed was a game, and when I clicked it the app started deleting files from my microSD (media) card.

Just a warning and letting y'all know that someone out there is testing out malware. Relatively harmless (just deleting media files); but maybe this is the beginning of something bigger and more malicious.

Anyway - thanks for reading and keep on Crackin'
    07-21-10 02:00 PM
  8. T
    Thanks for the valuable reminder!
    07-21-10 05:18 PM
    Some people have too much time on their hands to create this stuff. Thanks for the heads up

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-10 10:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD