BlackBerry maker Research in Motion co-chief executive Jim Balsillie says the company plans to launch seven new smartphones running its next-generation operating system in coming months � but admitted to shareholders that the company faces challenges as it tries to hit that target.

BlackBerry maker RIM to launch 7 new smartphones | Technology | guardian.co.uk
    07-13-11 11:02 AM
    07-13-11 11:07 AM
    "in the coming months".
    Anybody care to speculate on which year those months fall in, given RIM's track record?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-11 05:28 AM
    I don't think RIM should be calling OS7 its "next generation" OS because, well, it isn't. It's just another incremental improvement in the same ol', same ol', at least from what I've seen. The "next generation" hype should saved for QNX. Else we get into "boy who cried wolf" territory.

There is already the risk the new phones will be greeted with a collective "meh" -- you know, "those familiar with BB will appreciate the [insert device model here], but even though the specifications and to some extent the OS are an improvement over previous models, RIM has demonstrated once again that it is leading only in bringing up the rear."
    07-15-11 05:58 AM
    I don't think RIM should be calling OS7 its "next generation" OS because, well, it isn't. It's just another incremental improvement in the same ol', same ol', at least from what I've seen. The "next generation" hype should saved for QNX. Else we get into "boy who cried wolf" territory.

There is already the risk the new phones will be greeted with a collective "meh" -- you know, "those familiar with BB will appreciate the [insert device model here], but even though the specifications and to some extent the OS are an improvement over previous models, RIM has demonstrated once again that it is leading only in bringing up the rear."
    Very well put.

As BB owners, I'm sure we'd think the newer phones are pretty cool. However, when you start putting the new phones next to the other phones/platforms, it probably won't be that exciting. I don't think you'll see people leaving iOS/Andriod for BB.

IMHO, OS 7 is kinda the holdover until they can roll out QNX. It's just a bummer that QNX won't be out sooner. If they were rolling out QNX phones this fall, it would be a different story. I think they'd be able to create a lot of good buzz if that OS came out sooner vs later.
    07-15-11 06:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD