I just received my new latest BB10 device (Q5) a few days ago and activated it and update the operating system to 10.2.1 through Blackberry Link. A day later Blackberry issues a statement that Blackberry Link may be impacted by the Heart Bleed bug.

I use Blackberry Link quite a lot for moving music and pictures etc. and have used it for 3 new BB10 devices over the last 6 months for updating BB10 operating system (now all 3 phones on 10.2.1).

Does anybody know, or has Blackberry indicated the impact of this on Link other than their first statement?

It has kind of soured my mood for this new Q5 in which I was enjoying the FM radio. I since did a factory reset (for what it is worth) because there was no significant data on the new phone to be lost. (As a side issue, the battery on a wall charger only charged to 93% after the factory reset, whereas the first charge (when new) a few days ago prior to the reset it went to 100% on the USB.)

Should I wait for Link to be updated?? Are the phones okay and secure having been connected to Link many times over the last few months? What is the worst Heartbleed can do? Does it just look for data or can it damage phones/computers?

I apologize for my lack of knowledge on these things.

Thanks
    04-12-14 08:12 AM
    The heart bleed vulnerability has been around for two years. Ignorance is bliss, no?

Posted via CB10
    04-12-14 08:37 AM
    You should be fine because you are not on the Internet and it is only local which means your home network can exploit.

? Slicing using my ?
    04-12-14 09:14 AM
    Thanks but, isn't downloading BB10 software updates through BB Link on the internet? I didn't understand the local home network statement.
    04-12-14 09:20 AM
    If you transfer between your computer and bb10 then you are likely to be on your home network. I'm suspecting you are using a router like most of us so when you are connecting to your phone it is in 192.168.. Network. You should not be worrying about it.

? Slicing using my ?
    04-12-14 09:57 AM
    You have no worries if you have a BlackBerry device.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-14 09:59 AM
    You have no worries if you have a BlackBerry device.

Posted via CB10
    This is false. BB's did have an issue and BBRY has patched it in the phones anyway. I don't know if link has been patched or not.

Just because it's a BB doesn't mean it is immune from everything.
    04-12-14 10:08 AM
    If you transfer between your computer and bb10 then you are likely to be on your home network. I'm suspecting you are using a router like most of us so when you are connecting to your phone it is in 192.168.. Network. You should not be worrying about it.

Yes I was at home and download the 10.2.1 through BB Link on my home computer (as well as transferred music, etc.) which has the wireless router.

So you think everybody using Link through their home computers should be safe?

? Slicing using my ?
    04-12-14 10:25 AM
    ooopsss..... I replied within the quote as seen in post above......

Didn't see how to reply outside of the quote....learning here.....
    04-12-14 10:58 AM
    I don't think the NSA will be after your playlist unless your like Raymond Reddington (from The Blacklist)...

This effects mainly bigger consumers like businesses and VIP's. The type of people a intelligence agency will want to know everything about
    04-12-14 11:15 AM
    I don't think the NSA will be after your playlist unless your like Raymond Reddington (from The Blacklist)...

This effects mainly bigger consumers like businesses and VIP's. The type of people a intelligence agency will want to know everything about
    Never mind.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 04-12-14 at 01:23 PM.
    04-12-14 11:27 AM
    BlackBerry phone are safe. OS 5 or older and BlackBerry 10 is safe.

This response is for the op

? Slicing using my ?
    04-12-14 11:36 AM
    This is false. BB's did have an issue and BBRY has patched it in the phones anyway. I don't know if link has been patched or not.

Just because it's a BB doesn't mean it is immune from everything.
    Where did you find that BlackBerry uses OpenSSL on smartphones and patched it? They might not even be using OpenSSL on phone OS'es, as implied in this document, where it says that BB10 and BBOS 7.1 /and/ earlier aren't affected:

KB35882-BlackBerry response to OpenSSL “Heartbleed” vulnerability
    04-12-14 01:13 PM
    Where did you find that BlackBerry uses OpenSSL on smartphones and patched it? They might not even be using OpenSSL on phone OS'es, as implied in this document, where it says that BB10 and BBOS 7.1 /and/ earlier aren't affected:

KB35882-BlackBerry response to OpenSSL �€œHeartbleed�€� vulnerability
    My mistake. That's what I get for thinking and not checking.
    04-12-14 01:23 PM