No more touch keyboard and the screen just got even bigger. Unihertz is saying it is to prevent issues with existing patents.
    08-12-19 05:25 AM
    No more touch keyboard and the screen just got even bigger. Unihertz is saying it is to prevent issues with existing patents.
    BlackBerry has it's obligations to BlackBerry Mobile as well as it’s own interests. All Unihertz has to do is pay enough to make both companies happy. Just everyday business.
    bakron1, skinnymike1 and eldricho like this.
    08-12-19 06:42 AM
    BlackBerry has it's obligations to BlackBerry Mobile as well as it’s own interests. All Unihertz has to do is pay enough to make both companies happy. Just everyday business.
    Well Unihertz hasn't even started shipping retail units so they haven't gotten paid yet so how would they pay BB ltd at this point?
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    08-12-19 09:28 AM
    Well Unihertz hasn't even started shipping retail units so they haven't gotten paid yet so how would they pay BB ltd at this point?
    Sounds like a Unihertz problem to me. Have they considered raising additional money via crowdfunding?
    skinnymike1 and pdr733 like this.
    08-12-19 09:30 AM
    Sounds like a Unihertz problem to me. Have they considered raising additional money via crowdfunding?
    Isn't that precisely what they're doing with Kickstarter?
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    08-12-19 09:36 AM
    The money doesnt get taken from backers til end of the month. That is why people can pull support of the product at anytime til then as well. So ball is still in the air at this point for everything
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    08-12-19 09:36 AM
    No it's actually a BlackBerry problem. The anti-Unihertz sentiment is curious. It is BlackBerry that has allowed TCL to hold the brand hostage - while allowing other licensing to dry up in the rest of the world. Clearly BlackBerry Ltd has absolutely no desire to provide for its customers in the handset market. All Unihertz is doing is filling a void left by a company that has clearly lost all interest. If all you need is an outdated Keyx or a boring Motion from ebay, then BlackBerry Mobile is doing it's job. For eveyone else, it is failing you badly.
    08-12-19 09:45 AM
    Clearly BlackBerry Ltd has absolutely no desire to provide for its customers in the handset market. All Unihertz is doing is filling a void left by a company that has clearly lost all interest.
    This x100
    elfabio80 and RLeeSimon like this.
    08-12-19 10:07 AM
    No it's actually a BlackBerry problem. The anti-Unihertz sentiment is curious. It is BlackBerry that has allowed TCL to hold the brand hostage - while allowing other licensing to dry up in the rest of the world. Clearly BlackBerry Ltd has absolutely no desire to provide for its customers in the handset market. All Unihertz is doing is filling a void left by a company that has clearly lost all interest. If all you need is an outdated Keyx or a boring Motion from ebay, then BlackBerry Mobile is doing it's job. For eveyone else, it is failing you badly.
    Not a BlackBerry issue. They’re willing to allow patent use for licensing costs...
    08-12-19 10:23 AM
    100% agree.
    08-12-19 10:24 AM
    Isn't that precisely what they're doing with Kickstarter?
    My reply was tongue in cheek but the signal light turned green...so I didn’t get to ;-) etc
    08-12-19 10:25 AM
    Not a BlackBerry issue. They’re willing to allow patent use for licensing costs...
    If BBL could not be profitable in this space owning the patents, how could one possibly license them and be sufficiently profitable?
    the_boon likes this.
    08-12-19 10:41 AM
    Circular argument.

If BBL could not be profitable in this space owning the patents, how could one possibly license them and be sufficiently profitable?

That’s like saying when I don’t earn the necessary amount of money to pay for things I like, I should be allowed to steal what I want since I can’t pay for it?
    ppeters914 likes this.
    08-12-19 10:48 AM
    That’s like saying when I don’t earn the necessary amount of money to pay for things I like, I should be allowed to steal what I want since I can’t pay for it?
    Well if someones not using it...
    08-12-19 10:54 AM
    No, what I said has nothing to do with your interpretation. The bigger concept was that BBL either needs to make devices for this portion of the mobile market, (which they have demonstrated they cannot) or sell the patents to someone who thinks they can.

Licensing the patents is an ongoing expense that would continue forever for an OEM. Purchasing them would hurt only once.

Of course, BBL likely thinks they are worth a fortune (despite repeated failed attempts at proving this notion) and so no one even is interested. That's why we have $650 keyboard devices from one OEM with old OS's barely available for purchase by the 5 people who want them. Neat.
    the_boon likes this.
    08-12-19 11:06 AM
    No, that's not at all what I said. The bigger concept was that BBL either needs to make devices for this portion of the mobile market, (which they have demonstrated they cannot) or sell the patents to someone who thinks they can.

Licensing the patents is an ongoing expense that would continue forever for an OEM. Purchasing them would hurt only once.

Of course, BBL likely thinks they are worth a fortune (despite repeated failed attempts at proving this notion) and so no one even is interested. That's why we have $650 keyboard devices from one OEM with old OS's barely available for purchase by the 5 people who want them. Neat.
    Why does BlackBerry NEED to do anything at all?

They made a deal with TCL that both parties thought would be profitable. It may not have turned out that way.

When the deal has expired, BlackBerry will likely look to see what else they can do to best monetise its patents. If the potential ROI proves too little, then that's that.
    Jake2826, howarmat, TgeekB and 1 others like this.
    08-12-19 11:08 AM
    Why does BlackBerry NEED to do anything at all?

They made a deal with TCL that both parties thought would be profitable. It may not have turned out that way.

When the deal has expired, BlackBerry will likely look to see what else they can do to best monetise its patents.
    Seriously? You don't think that time is now?

How about rather than filing suit they look to strike a deal since they have no one manufacturing devices to pedal their software? (TCL is dead)
    the_boon likes this.
    08-12-19 11:12 AM
    No, what I said has nothing to do with your interpretation. The bigger concept was that BBL either needs to make devices for this portion of the mobile market, (which they have demonstrated they cannot) or sell the patents to someone who thinks they can.

So I don’t want to rent your residence with the perfect location for me that you bought as rental income property. I want to buy it although you only want to rent on your terms. So that makes it ok to break in and stay when you’re not around plus decide what I’ll pay if anything for rent ....
    08-12-19 11:14 AM

How about rather than filing suit they look to strike a deal since they have no one manufacturing devices to pedal their software? (TCL is dead)
    They have a 5 year deal with TCL. TCL has exclusive use of those patents until the agreement expires.

Assuming that one or both parties want to terminate the deal early, there are lengthy legal hurdles to overcome.
    SeeBeeEss and Jake2826 like this.
    08-12-19 11:14 AM

Because they have a legally binding contract with TCL which hasn’t expired hence the waiting?
    SeeBeeEss likes this.
    08-12-19 11:16 AM
    So I don’t want to rent your residence with the perfect location for me that you bought as rental income property. I want to buy it although you only want to rent on your terms. So that makes it ok to break in and stay when you’re not around plus decide what I’ll pay if anything for rent ....
    Chuck, I usually like your points of view. But today, you must have had bad coffee.

You keep trying to come up with analogies to back up your interpretation of my posts. Maybe I'm just not being clear.

Yes, BBL can do whatever they want. The problem is that never works for them, their manufacturing partners and MOST importantly, the customer. It's why this whole situation exists.

With my stock at $7/sh and my new focus on IOT and automotive whatever, I'm selling my mobile phone keyboard patents so I can reinvest the profits into my "new" business that is supposedly making money, growing and has full support of shareholders. Otherwise, this is dead money.
    Paulelmar18, gamegurl and Mecca EL like this.
    08-12-19 11:23 AM
    They have a 5 year deal with TCL. TCL has exclusive use of those patents until the agreement expires.

Assuming that one or both parties want to terminate the deal early, there are lengthy legal hurdles to overcome.
    Understood, but you don't wait for your boat to sink before you look for the leak.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    08-12-19 11:24 AM
    Because they have a legally binding contract with TCL which hasn’t expired hence the waiting?
    I don't think anyone here knows definitively what either of them have or don't have as part of their agreement(s). If someone indeed does, please do share.
    shadowcalling likes this.
    08-12-19 11:26 AM
    Isn't that actually smaller or am I missing some information here? It was 1440x1440 now they note 1430x1438
    08-12-19 11:40 AM
    Understood, but you don't wait for your boat to sink before you look for the leak.
    We don't know the details of the original 5-yr deal, or the minds of either party as of today. As a result we don't know what legal avenues either party have at their disposal.

The only thing we DO know is that until the deal is legally terminated, BlackBerry's hands are tied with respect to further licencing.
    08-12-19 11:47 AM
176 123 ...