We were at a local conference for back to school and it was brought up that some phones are a distraction for your kids between grades 6-12 and if parents must have phones for their children the school recommends cheap phones like blackberry curve 9320 which can be bought for $100 pre-paid and help parents keep in touch with the kids.

Great idea, wonder if this is going on else where.

Be responsible parents get a blackberry for your kid!

BlackBerry legacy phones great for young students-img_00000869.png

Posted via CB10
    08-24-13 11:54 AM
    Tools not toy.
    Roflmao
    08-24-13 11:59 AM
    This actually makes perfect sense for kids growing up. I see way too many kids nowadays ignoring their parents and trappedin their iphones playing doodle jump.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-13 01:35 PM
    Nah, BB is man's phone!

Give them some Alcatel old geezer!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    08-24-13 01:39 PM

Be responsible parents get a blackberry for your kid!
    I'm torn. On one hand I see the point of giving kids as much of a distraction free device as is possible this days - the tough love approach.

On the other hand, this is actually rather cruel to impose on kids, unless the kid themselves want it. Up to a certain age, the thing that kids want the most is to fit in. Giving them a BlackBerry isolates them from some forms of social interaction - which is incredibly important at that age. They are excluded from pictures and videos shared by their peers on Instagram. When the kids meet each other the next day, the other kids will be talking about something everyone saw last night and your kid will be out of the loop.
    08-24-13 01:43 PM
    No. I wouldn't give my kid a blackberry. My kid would have an iphone! Or an android! They have graphing calculator applications!
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    08-24-13 01:45 PM
    No. I wouldn't give my kid a blackberry. My kid would have an iphone! Or an android! They have graphing calculator applications!
    You are required to purchase your kid a Texas instrumental graphing calculator if they take the specific course can't use the phone features. Any serious school would make you learn graphing without a calculator anyway.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-13 01:56 PM
    Perfect!

BB Z10 Rocks!
    08-24-13 04:55 PM
    Bad idea in my opinion because they will see the limitations of the old os And compared to their ios and android friends there old curves will look like trash.

The way to go is to promote blackberry 10 a better blackberry culture
    pantlesspenguin and mjdimer like this.
    08-24-13 05:30 PM
    I don't see an old BlackBerry being any less of a distraction than any other phone. They'll still be entirely capable of texting their friends, using Facebook and Twitter, browsing the Internet, and playing Brick Breaker. Want your child to pay attention in class? Teach them responsibility, respect, and the importance of school. It's easier said than done, but it's the only real solution - unless you'd rather cut them off from the rest of the world and not buy them any phone at all.
    08-24-13 05:51 PM
    most kids here are already using curves (almost all ive seen are 8520s and 9870s + a few with bold 9900s) as their devices and theyre fine although i have to point out blackberry is popular with teens and kids here (england). everyone bbms eachother, does status updates and are stuck to their blackberries pinging every 2 mins
    08-25-13 09:59 AM
    Imagine the smile on that kid's face...like unwrapping a brand new pair of socks on Christmas morning.
    JKeigh and Coachbulldog like this.
    08-25-13 10:30 AM
    Just let those legacy devices die already!

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 12:42 PM
    Why not feature phones. Same job but cheaper

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 03:00 PM
    You are required to purchase your kid a Texas instrumental graphing calculator if they take the specific course can't use the phone features. Any serious school would make you learn graphing without a calculator anyway.

Posted via CB10
    They made us learn both.
    08-25-13 03:01 PM
    Just let those legacy devices die already!

Posted via CB10
    Not going to happen , They just released a new one.
    08-26-13 04:13 AM
    Frankly kids don't need phones in school! Especially in the lower grade levels as they get older and involved in after school activities I see a need but not prior to that.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-13 05:57 AM
    Not going to happen , They just released a new one.
    True! True...just wish that phone came out in 2012 instead, when we had nothing to look forward to.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-13 05:41 PM
    Well, I'm a long way from being a student or even a responsible parent. I'm more of an oldtimer with perverted fantasies of bangin the young teachers, lol. But that said, I think it's a great idea. Give the kids tools for keeping in touch with parents, not toys for playing games or consuming bs media while in school or supposed to be doing homework. None of this icrap for wasting time on "angry bird" or spydroid so the pervs at the NSA can "watch" the kids better. BlackBerry is best for anyone with a brain.
    08-26-13 05:49 PM
    Haha yea give BlackBerrys to the kids to help them focus on work more because the blackberry app world doesn't have the apps they want anyway!!! Hehe just a friendly jab

Sent from HTC One /BlackBerry Q10
    08-26-13 06:09 PM
    I know some people might be excited, but that makes me cringe. That's what BlackBerry will be known for now...not being capable enough to get you distracted so they are "school certified" :/

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 07:02 AM
    most kids here are already using curves (almost all ive seen are 8520s and 9870s + a few with bold 9900s) as their devices and theyre fine although i have to point out blackberry is popular with teens and kids here (england). everyone bbms eachother, does status updates and are stuck to their blackberries pinging every 2 mins
    Maybe so in the UK but not at all in the USA or even Canada. It seems that the BB is a phone that a parent would buy rather than the child would want and beggars can't be choosers. The issues are the small screen size (micro screen in the Curve) , lack of apps, peer pressure and the ability for kids to type incredibly fast on a all touch device.

The Q5 is at least a bigger phone by size and would be somewhat more socially acceptable. The Z10 would be accepted ... it doesn't have to be a iphone.
    08-27-13 08:34 AM
    Man if I would've had a Bold like mine back when I was in high school, life would've been mega-different. I would've typed all my papers on it, and used I don't know how many nifty little tools to help get stuff done.

I wonder if I would've been a low B student instead of a low C student...nah
    08-27-13 05:00 PM
    Man if I would've had a Bold like mine back when I was in high school, life would've been mega-different. I would've typed all my papers on it, and used I don't know how many nifty little tools to help get stuff done.

I wonder if I would've been a low B student instead of a low C student...nah
    They didn't even let us use our cell phones during class so I don't think that would have mattered

Sent from BBQ 10 / HTC One
    08-27-13 08:05 PM
    I've had a cell phone sice I was 9 (I'm 21) and my parents have always gotten me the latest and greatest so I'd be mad I was in middle or high school and had to use an old azz legacy device.

But im also kind of a brat so...

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 08:14 PM
28 12