ANDROID DEVICES MORE LIKELY TO DEVELOP HARDWARE FAULTS THAN COMPETITOR SMARTPHONES SAYS WDS STUDY
    POOLE, UK. 20th June 2011:A year-long study by WDS of more than 600,000 technical support calls has found that Android devices are more likely to develop a hardware fault than many of their smartphone competitors. 14% of all technical support calls for Android devices related to hardware faults in contrast to just 3.7% for RIM BlackBerry, 8% for iPhones (iOS) and 9% for Windows Phone 7 devices.

The greater propensity for hardware faults is, says WDS, a symptom of the platform�s fragmentation and adoption across a broad range of OEMs. Both Apple and RIM control their hardware ecosystems and Microsoft mandates minimum hardware specifications for Windows Phone 7 deployments. In contrast, Android is widely deployed by more than 35 OEMs globally under an open source license.

The study found that instances of hardware faults varied between OEM deployments, with some brands showing a propensity to display failures, others keypad/button failures and some battery issues. The findings, says WDS, highlight the need for mobile operators to choose carefully when ranging Android product and consider the Total Cost of Ownership, including support and potential reverse logistics costs, and not just the unit price of the device.

�Android has been a runaway success and has been instrumental in bringing smartphone technology to the mass-market. Its open nature, coupled with the greater availability of hardware components and a reduction in manufacturing costs has seen some manufacturers bring the price-point of Android smartphones down below US$100,� explains Craig Rich, Chief Marketing Officer at WDS. �However, the Android ecosystem is not without its faults. Many of the factors that have led to Android�s success are driving varying levels of hardware quality into the market, in turn delivering an inconsistent customer experience.�

Unlike many technical support calls taken by mobile operators, such as network connectivity and service configuration, hardware failures cannot typically be resolved by Customer Service Representatives. Instead mobile operators, who have already faced increased customer care and subsidy costs as they look to meet consumer appetite for smartphone product, now face the additional cost of managing product returns and repairs.

�Mobile operators have to make some important decisions when selecting which smartphones to range on their networks,� adds Rich. �They must balance the need to introduce low-cost smartphone devices with the Total Cost of Ownership; how much it costs them to manage that device in their network for the duration of the subscription. A $100 smartphone might not look so attractive if it drives x3 more support traffic over its lifetime, has an above-average return rate or damages the customer experience in a way that increases the likelihood of the consumer churning.

�Lower cost Android product absolutely has a place in developing the wider smartphone market and �democratizing mobile data�. However you take it for granted that the great Android experience a consumer has on one device brand will be replicated on another, the ecosystem is just too fragmented. This means that operators must carefully balance their requirements and mitigate likely support requests through improved testing procedures, retail practices and self-care tools,� finishes Rich.

The study took place between June 2010-May 2011 and covered 600,000 technical support calls taken by WDS across Europe, North America, South Africa and Australia.

WDS provides managed services dedicated to optimizing the mobile customer experience. The company works with more than 100 of the industry�s best known brands, helping them to develop, launch and manage mobile products and services.

Android Devices Hardware Study by WDS
    ldcmobile, sg8330 and knowledge_6 like this.
    06-24-11 08:31 AM
    dunno how reputable WDS is but it's nice to see some facts and research done on these phones...

i wonder if the sample was equal with 200,000 for each type of phone... and for android there are many different mobile makers (i.e. samsung, htc, etc) so it could depend on the actual company making the phone not android itself since that's all software..

just as long as blackberry hardware is better then the iphones... sick of people telling me blackberries break more then iphones! when iphone 4's are broken out of the box.
    Last edited by knowledge_6; 06-24-11 at 08:52 AM.
    06-24-11 08:49 AM
    Bgr would never post this!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    johnmarki and big_time2 like this.
    06-24-11 09:38 AM
    Gucci33, that ain't no lie.

06-24-11 10:28 AM
    That is an Advantage the RIM & Apple both have, is they control the Hardware.
    But that is going to be a problem for RIM trying to compete in some of the oversees markets where cheap smartphones are everywhere.
    06-24-11 11:23 AM
    I have been through 5 9700's in a year and a half.

Never had an issue with any of my Androids besides my wifes HTC Mytouch3G, which was replaced with a suck *** Optimus T.

And this is coming from someone who loves BB much more than any platform. As long as they keep giving me new ones, then so be it. It is always something with the LCD screens....

06-24-11 03:17 PM
    for android there are many different mobile makers (i.e. samsung, htc, etc) so it could depend on the actual company making the phone not android itself since that's all software..
    If they're going to lump all the Android OEMs together for marketshare, it makes sense to lump them together for this as well.

We had more units with problems in the 2 dozen VZW iPhones we deployed recently than we did in the 100+ BBs that went out before. So my experience is consistent with the study. They haven't approved Android devices because the fragmentation of that market is a support nightmare.
    06-24-11 03:42 PM
    4 Storm 2's a two years, one iPhone for a year and a half.
    06-24-11 03:52 PM
    Bgr would never post this!

No he definitely wouldn't!

However I'm gonna sticky the link and post it in every comments section of every news article BGR posts!

Yeah...not gonna lie...I sound pathetic.....but I'm ok with that!!!!
    06-24-11 06:06 PM
    Bgr needs a taste of his own medicine!

06-24-11 06:25 PM
    In addition to their market problems, RIM has developed a shaky quality reputation the last couple of years.

But if your device doesn't have a quality problem out of the box; they are very well built and solid/tough.
    chuckh0308 likes this.
    06-24-11 06:29 PM
    Interesting, but it's hard to draw any real conclusion from any articles that lump all Android devices together, INCLUDING those that report on market share. Being lumped with Motorola and Sony Ericcson will always hurt...lol!

As for Apple and RIM, that's not really that surprising, except that the RIM number seems a little low. Trackballs, SurePress, ear piece speakers, disappearing buttons anyone? Apple has a pretty high hardware failure rate in general across their product line (from what I've seen and experienced)...you just don't hear about it much, probably because Apple is very hush and easy when it comes to replacing things. I should know...we took an old iPod in that had hard drive failure WELL out of warranty and Apple gave us a brand new iPod no questions asked. They probably would have replaced our craptastic worn out iPhone 3G too, but we decided to just upgrade to the iP4.

I haven't had my Thunderbolt long enough to compare with my Berry's, but so far it's been solid. I can say that the actual fit and finish is light years ahead of BB, but the internals remain to be proven.
    06-24-11 07:53 PM
    The bricks are stacking up in xda for the thunderbolt and it all seems to be hardware failure. Not saying anything about android in general but the tb's reputation for hw failure is not good so far...
    06-24-11 09:50 PM
    Owned 1 storm1 and 1 storm2 1 incredible and 1 thunderbolt.... all seem to hold up just fine with pretty good abuse
    06-24-11 09:55 PM
    In November my crappy tour as even bb users call it will be 2 years old. Never a problem with it except user error. Yeah that would be me lol.
    06-26-11 06:10 AM
    Must not have studied Storm1, Storm2 or Tour. They were all junk. I went through more than 3 of each. Not my experience so far with others. Bold 9650's seems to be good for my company and have few issues. Our IT department claims hardware issues have gone down 90% since switching to Droid and iPhones. Maybe just VZW offerings other than the 9650 in the last few years sucked?
    K Bear likes this.
    06-26-11 09:47 AM
    Sounds like you are hard on phones LOL. Or maybe unlucky. I've read the storms are junk and read people have no problems with them. I have one tour that will soon be 2 years old and no problems.
    06-26-11 09:52 AM
    The bricks are stacking up in xda for the thunderbolt and it all seems to be hardware failure. Not saying anything about android in general but the tb's reputation for hw failure is not good so far...
    I don't follow XDA, but what kind of hardware failures? The only issue I am aware of (of any significance) is that some people are having reboot problems due to the last firmware release and apparently how it interacts with certain parts of the network.

I have not had reboots or any other problem...so far...

In 21 years, I have only experienced hardware failure on one phone and it was an iPhone 3G...
    06-26-11 02:26 PM
    My Macbook looked like this after 6 months of use, and I'm a very very careful user. Got it replaced twice in warranty. Now after three years I'm just too tired to get it fixed and let it be.
    Bits and pieces fall off all the time, even around the screen. Apple build quality anyone??

Attachment 89241
    06-26-11 02:58 PM
    wow that is dirty! probably would hurt to clean it once and a while you know.
    06-26-11 03:03 PM
    My wife's Macbook has the same case cracks and its hardly used. It's a very common issue. Not only is your laptop coming apart, but its trying to slash my wrists... Thanks, Apple.
    06-26-11 03:09 PM
    wow that is dirty! probably would hurt to clean it once and a while you know.
    LOL....yea I clean it many times, but since I use it a lot on my factory floor it tends to get dirty.
    And the white colour doesn't help mattes much.
    Looking to upgrade to a Macbook Air or 13" pro soon ( haven't been able to figure out if I really need a built in DVD drive or not), so have been neglecting the upkeep.
    Can't really be bothered any more to tell you the truth.
    With the broken pieces all over the frame, it has just taken the joy away.
    Last edited by sam_b77; 06-26-11 at 03:35 PM.
    06-26-11 03:32 PM
    That's the regular MacBook with the plastic case? Interesting. I thought it was the Aluminum Pros that were cracking...

That said, I've seen a number of friends go through MacBooks within a couple years, with the keyboards falling apart, Internal hardware failure, hinge failure, and so on. It seems Apple makes them pretty and so they work well for awhile, but doesn't make them to last, probably because most MacHeads buy a new one every year anyway. Everyone makes fun of Dell, but my nearly 3 year old Latitude is in perfect condition physically and has not had any internal hardware failures. The Dell software and drivers on the other hand...ugh! LOL! And this is my fourth Latitude...all were good, well built machines.
    06-26-11 04:40 PM
    That's the regular MacBook with the plastic case? Interesting. I thought it was the Aluminum Pros that were cracking...

That said, I've seen a number of friends go through MacBooks within a couple years, with the keyboards falling apart, Internal hardware failure, hinge failure, and so on. It seems Apple makes them pretty and so they work well for awhile, but doesn't make them to last, probably because most MacHeads buy a new one every year anyway. Everyone makes fun of Dell, but my nearly 3 year old Latitude is in perfect condition physically and has not had any internal hardware failures. The Dell software and drivers on the other hand...ugh! LOL! And this is my fourth Latitude...all were good, well built machines.
    Didn't know the Aluminium Pros had Hardware issues as well. I know 3 people with those and they seem to be doing fine. What exactly are the problems with those?
    The best build quality I have seen was on my previous IBM Thinkpad T 42, back when IBM still made Thinkpads. Solid laptop and extremely durable. It's still in use with my friend's employee.
    06-26-11 05:02 PM
    i had an aluminum pro for 2 years and that was solid as a rock. sold it for $150 less than i bought for. great resale value for a 2 year old laptop
    06-26-11 05:27 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD