05-19-15 03:01 PM
    Problem number 1: It run's android.
    Problem number 2: It's loaded with bloatware (according to the review I just read).
    Problem number 3: It doesn't run BB10. (See number 1).
    No thanks.
    05-19-15 03:13 PM
    5.5inch isn't really the same target market as 5inch though.
    Nice cheap android phone though but like above poster said, it's not BlackBerry 10! I doubt people looking at BlackBerry devices would be swayed by a cheaper priced android phone.
    Another thing is that the leap is 100% not a consumer phone. It's existence revolves around businesses and employees.
    thymaster likes this.
    05-19-15 03:36 PM
    Problem number 1: It run's android.
    Problem number 2: It's loaded with bloatware (according to the review I just read).
    Problem number 3: It doesn't run BB10. (See number 1).
    No thanks.
    I understand that it's not bb10 haha. I wouldn't buy it over the leap but my point is that how do the android manufacturers add so good specs for a price like that? Why is BlackBerry not able to incorporate those specs for those prices?

Posted via CB10
    NYTOC83 and Anthony_2u like this.
    05-19-15 03:45 PM
    5.5inch isn't really the same target market as 5inch though.
    Nice cheap android phone though but like above poster said, it's not BlackBerry 10! I doubt people looking at BlackBerry devices would be swayed by a cheaper priced android phone.
    Another thing is that the leap is 100% not a consumer phone. It's existence revolves around businesses and employees.
    Lol..this is clearly Leaps competition, you're assuming that if people are looking at BlackBerry devices they're just supposed to completely disregard Androids as if they're not a viable option. Who the hell shops like that?

This device is priced better than the Leap and has a better camera...trust me, people will be comparing.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-15 03:47 PM
    I understand that it's not bb10 haha. I wouldn't buy it over the leap but my point is that how do the android manufacturers add so good specs for a price like that? Why is BlackBerry not able to incorporate those specs for those prices?

Posted via CB10
    If I had to guess, I would say there are 2 big reasons.
    1) Usually manufacturers that produce android devices produce millions per production run. Volume helps reduce price dramatically.
    2) Android is developed and maintained by Google and is free to the phone manufacturers? BlackBerry has to develop and maintain BB10. That costs money.
    eduzojordan and NYTOC83 like this.
    05-19-15 03:56 PM
    Better hardware doesn't mean it runs any better. Android itself is fragmented so it's not optimized to work with the hardware to the bone.

Android manufacturer can afford to put their prices lower because they don't have to set up a software divisions to build and developed an OS. They basically take whatever is made free by Google and slap it on a piece of hardware and call it a finished product.

Someone mentioned it's full of bloatware like Samsung phones so that's the other way of them making money. I paid top dollars for a good OS experience, not a bunch of junk and ads that will pop up to frustrate me further.

Blackberry software engineers deserves to get paid too. It's their ingenuity that makes it's users all smiley. For that I wouldn't mind paying $100 more for a better experience.

Posted via CB10
    lift, Jrox74, DonTonyB and 4 others like this.
    05-19-15 04:12 PM
    At $299 for 4gb of ram 1080p screen 2.3 ghz Intel processor 3000 mah battery with fast charge (0-60% in 39 minutes) 64 gb with a SD card slot 13 mp camera. Just ordered one today as my z10 moves into retirement status. Only 25 dollars more than the leap and superior to all of BlackBerry 's slab offerings at the moment. With BlackBerry Hub moving cross platform with the BlackBerry experience suite I think it's a good time to try out android again and see if I can live with it. I felt comfortable with the Asus and Intel combination I have a lot of experience using both brands for desktop builds they make quality products. I am not leaving for good I will be back when the slider comes out.

All of the aforementioned bloat ware mentioned in other posts can be unistalled fwiw.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-15 04:25 PM
    Don't forget that Intel gives their processors for free this is actually the last Gen of freebies from Intel. The new Sophia line oem's have to pay for.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-15 04:27 PM

Posted via CB10
    Asus began as an ODM making electronics for other brand names so they have a benefits of cheap supply chains in China. Then they started making their own branded desktop/laptops and in the last few years mobile devices. Asus is most well known for wacky devices like Padfone, Fonepad, and ZenFone Zoom. Plus Intel is basically giving their processors away to establish a foothold into Android so there goes the cost savings.

The Zenphone 2 and Alcatel OneTouch Idol 3 are examples of the new wave of budget premium Android devices coming into Western markets that is going to put further pressure on the existing players of all platforms.
    05-19-15 04:43 PM
    Not sure it is important. People who buy a BlackBerry go into the store wanting a BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-15 10:14 PM
    Not sure it is important. People who buy a BlackBerry go into the store wanting a BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Blackberry doesn't have problems convincing the. 05% of us..lol..but anyone who considers a lower price point will always want to compare other cheaper phones.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-15 10:24 PM
    As far as I can tell, consumers do not view BlackBerry as a Android alternative.

BlackBerry needs a push, pull or drag sale for folks to bring in their old BlackBerry phones in trade for a leap.

Posted via CB10
    eduzojordan likes this.
    05-19-15 11:00 PM
    Spec wise, sure the Asus would beat the Leap but how will it perform on a daily basis?

My Z10 with the 10.3.2.500 leak has been stable and I haven't noticed it slowing down. I have friends with Android phones and they keep saying that their phones are slowing down. I'm not sure how they maintain their phones but I rarely do reboots or wipes on my Z10.

Also my friends use up data like crazy because of Android's OS. I rarely go over 3gb of data on my 2 passports!

Like someone else said, it's not the phone that we're buying, it's the everyday experience we have in using these tools to make our lives a little bit easier.

I've been spoiled by my Passports and both of them have always ran great, and until now have not acted up at all.

Until such time as the Androids maintain their consistency over time in regards to their OS stability, I'm sticking with BB10. And between the Leap and Asus, I'll probably stick to the Leap.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-15 11:22 PM
    You guys can trash about Android phones, but the Asus phone will sell more than the Leap.
    05-19-15 11:41 PM
    Better hardware doesn't mean it runs any better.
    That's been the BlackBerry motto for years. Show me a single core device outperforming a quad core device and I'll start to believe.

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    05-20-15 12:01 AM
    You guys can trash about Android phones, but the Asus phone will sell more than the Leap.
    The pet rock sold millions too...doesnt mean anyone put thought into the buying decision process

Posted via my Canadian Passport
    spikesolie and thymaster like this.
    05-20-15 12:21 AM
    Yup. Leap will probably end up like the Z3.

Posted from an ME173X
    05-20-15 05:15 AM
    I paid top dollars for a good OS experience, not a bunch of junk and ads that will pop up to frustrate me further.
    Ads were one of the main reason I made the jump to Android full time from BlackBerry 10. All of the ads drove me nuts on BB10.

Load up CrackBerry once on your BB10 device and I guarantee you that you will have loaded more ads on your phone from a single website than I have loaded on my Android phone over the entire year and a half that I've owned it.

It doesn't matter if it is in the browser, YouTube Videos or free ad-supported apps - ads NEVER load on my Android devices.

Lol you and your BB10 device make Google far more ad revenue than I do

Same goes with the preinstalled junk on BB10. Like BBM for example. On the older BBOS devices, we were free to uninstall that app. Something a lot of BlackBerry users used to do. Can't do it on BB10 though. You're stuck with its stickers, shop, ads and splats that don't mean anything to you. Hey, why not try uninstalling Android runtime from BB10? You seem to hate Android so surely you must not care for the runtime either. Go ahead and uninstall that junk.

On my Android devices, I can uninstall anything I please. Including the entire OS and replace it with something different. That's something I've done to even Nexus devices.

With Android, you have options to improve the experience. With BlackBerry, you're stuck with what they give you. Who else here besides me misses themes on BlackBerry devices?
    Berry_Pink likes this.
    05-20-15 05:51 AM
    If BlackBerry is going to rely on android apps then they will need similar specs to run those apps at least half as good as a real android phone does.

If BlackBerry had released the leap with the zenphone2 hardware. I would have had it on launch day. Heck if a BlackBerry came out with the zenphone2 specs we would be calling it the Messiah phone. BlackBerry isn't interested in selling me a phone right now.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-15 06:15 AM
    If BlackBerry is going to rely on android apps then they will need similar specs to run those apps at least half as good as a real android phone does.

If BlackBerry had released the leap with the zenphone2 hardware. I would have had it on launch day. Heck if a BlackBerry came out with the zenphone2 specs we would be calling it the Messiah phone. BlackBerry isn't interested in selling me a phone right now.

Posted via CB10
    If the Leap specs were the same as Zenphone2, BlackBerry will probably charge you $500 for it.

Suffer Now & Live The Rest Of Your Life As A Champion
    05-20-15 06:22 AM
    Better hardware doesn't mean it runs any better. Android itself is fragmented so it's not optimized to work with the hardware to the bone.

Android manufacturer can afford to put their prices lower because they don't have to set up a software divisions to build and developed an OS. They basically take whatever is made free by Google and slap it on a piece of hardware and call it a finished product.

Someone mentioned it's full of bloatware like Samsung phones so that's the other way of them making money. I paid top dollars for a good OS experience, not a bunch of junk and ads that will pop up to frustrate me further.

Blackberry software engineers deserves to get paid too. It's their ingenuity that makes it's users all smiley. For that I wouldn't mind paying $100 more for a better experience.
    Yet BlackBerry is reliant on Android apps, and running an emulator inside of BB10 to run those apps, and it needs resources and power to do both. Passport has 3 GB of RAM for a reason and runs Android apps more fluidly for a reason. Z30 runs them second best for a reason. Everything else BlackBerry makes that run on that archaic S4 Plus SOC runs them the worst when compared to the above mentioned for a reason. When I'm running VM's inside my host OS or even on ESXi, I have to have the resources required by the VM on the host machine to support all the VM's. BB10 is no different and most devices currently running BB10 are inadequate. BlackBerry pushed devs to Android, now they need to fully support the Android monster they created and deliver hardware to run the monster.

Posted with my Z30
    05-20-15 07:59 AM
    Ads were one of the main reason I made the jump to Android full time from BlackBerry 10. All of the ads drove me nuts on BB10.

Load up CrackBerry once on your BB10 device and I guarantee you that you will have loaded more ads on your phone from a single website than I have loaded on my Android phone over the entire year and a half that I've owned it.

It doesn't matter if it is in the browser, YouTube Videos or free ad-supported apps - ads NEVER load on my Android devices.

Lol you and your BB10 device make Google far more ad revenue than I do

Same goes with the preinstalled junk on BB10. Like BBM for example. On the older BBOS devices, we were free to uninstall that app. Something a lot of BlackBerry users used to do. Can't do it on BB10 though. You're stuck with its stickers, shop, ads and splats that don't mean anything to you. Hey, why not try uninstalling Android runtime from BB10? You seem to hate Android so surely you must not care for the runtime either. Go ahead and uninstall that junk.

On my Android devices, I can uninstall anything I please. Including the entire OS and replace it with something different. That's something I've done to even Nexus devices.

With Android, you have options to improve the experience. With BlackBerry, you're stuck with what they give you. Who else here besides me misses themes on BlackBerry devices?
    Are you serious? The android apps are filled with ads and malware. Samsung also has tons of bloat ware on their devices that you can't get rid of.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-15 08:41 AM
    Are you serious? The android apps are filled with ads and malware. Samsung also has tons of bloat ware on their devices that you can't get rid of.

Posted via CB10
    Yes I am serious.

All of my Android devices have host file level ad blocking. Ads simply never get a chance to load. Even in ad suuported apps, the ads cannot load. The only ads that aren't block are the embedded audio ads that are in streaming services such as Pandora.

As far as bloatware goes, do you actually think there isn't a way to remove that stuff on Android? Really? What's next? Are you gonna tell me I can't edit application permissions on Android even though I've been doing exactly that since long before BB10 even existed?

You seem very unaware of what can and can't be done with Android. Perhaps you should educate yourself about such things before discussing them.
    05-20-15 09:14 AM
    Yes I am serious.

All of my Android devices have host file level ad blocking. Ads simply never get a chance to load. Even in ad suuported apps, the ads cannot load. The only ads that aren't block are the embedded audio ads that are in streaming services such as Pandora.

As far as bloatware goes, do you actually think there isn't a way to remove that stuff on Android? Really? What's next? Are you gonna tell me I can't edit application permissions on Android even though I've been doing exactly that since long before BB10 even existed?

You seem very unaware of what can and can't be done with Android. Perhaps you should educate yourself about such things before discussing them.
    Sounds like you're getting a bit defensive. Should probably go over to the android forum and stay there. Android is a laggy OS and I'm not comfortable with how much malware garbage the playstore has.

Posted via CB10
    thymaster, eduzojordan and extisis like this.
    05-20-15 09:31 AM
143 123 ...