The recent cancellation of the BlackBerry beta testing program has got me wondering...and concerned. Has BlackBerry ceased all Android OS development?

The evidence is all around us. There have been basically no new security features introduced to "BlackBerry Android" since 2015. BlackBerry device business is completely closed down. Encryption, root of trust, and hardened kernel are all standard features in Android 7.

Security isn't even a "thing" in the KEYone product description. In fact it's barely even mentioned at all!

So I am going to put the question out there for all in the community to digest and debate...are we being sold a bill of goods? Is the KEYone going to be no more than a standard Android Nougat device with no special BlackBerry security enhancements at all, other than BlackBerry apps (ie. DTEK, Hub, Launcher, etc) installed into a BlackBerry-designed shell?
    Last edited by kputock; 04-18-17 at 09:40 PM.
    04-18-17 07:23 PM
    Yes
    04-18-17 08:10 PM
    That's a good question! I'll be honest, I see what BlackBerry is trying to do but at the same tame, they don't have many extra features over the others on security. In my opinion, any BlackBerry Android device isn't secure since you're still transferring data to Google's servers. The phone itself might be unhackable by ports but the software, yeahhhh. Now if BlackBerry was re routing that data through their servers then to Google's, it might be secure but I see that highly unlikely. You're better off downloading their apps over buying their (TCL) hardware.

Posted via CB10
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    04-18-17 09:29 PM
    I hate to say that because I'm still a BlackBerry fan but they never caught on like everyone wanted. They did indeed exit the phone business and software doesn't even seem like it's coming anymore. Heck, BlackBerry 10 hasn't even seen a leaked build in months and not a word has came on Android N for the other devices. For BlackBerry being "On top" for security, they should have the major updates out within a month. Their only releasing security updates monthly but those aren't going to fix everything that might exist from Android M.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 and crackberry_geek like this.
    04-18-17 09:33 PM
    Yes
    I like the simplicity of that answer...LOL!

So I suppose that gives anyone interested in 'BlackBerry' much more options in terms of their next device. We can basically pick up any Android device running Nougat, purchase (or use for free, with ads) the BlackBerry App suite...and we basically get the same BlackBerry experience others will pay hundreds of dollars more for, with the same (or better) hardware? Wow. Thanks Chen! That's going to be a lot cheaper than my PRIV and as an added bonus, I won't have to wear the badge of a sell-out company that lies to its customers on my device. Sweet!
    Last edited by kputock; 04-19-17 at 04:41 PM.
    04-19-17 08:04 AM
    Yup, buy any stock Android device, download a physical keyboard, and you have your own Keyone.

Pardon me, now moving on to the next pointless tinfoil-hat-Chen-hating thread (probably started by the same person). See ya.
    mbirth likes this.
    04-19-17 08:08 AM
    Yup, buy any stock Android device, download a physical keyboard, and you have your own Keyone.

Pardon me, now moving on to the next pointless tinfoil-hat-Chen-hating thread (probably started by the same person). See ya.
    Oh that's right...the pkb! LOL! How could I forget...its all about the enhanced security and privacy provided by the downloadable software BlackBerry pkb! Safe travels and happy sweeping (under the rug) buddy!
    04-19-17 08:14 AM
    Must be new innovation I have not heard of Downloading a pkb. Now that is innovative. and impressive.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt, xandros9 and FF22 like this.
    04-19-17 08:24 AM
    Must be new innovation I have not heard of Downloading a pkb. Now that is innovative. and impressive.
    Just make sure to download the correct one, as you can't revert back to an earlier version. So if you try one like lithuanian, just to see what the fuss is all about... you'll be stuck with it.
    MikeX74, FF22 and ubizmo like this.
    04-19-17 08:39 AM
    I don't think security features is a selling point for most people otherwise BlackBerry would have been number 1 now , security doesn't sell
    04-19-17 08:44 AM
    OP, it sounds like you found an echo chamber for your narrative.

Also, if you're going troll, troll harder. Blaming Chen for everything bad that happens to you is so 2016.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-17 09:01 AM
    I hate to say that because I'm still a BlackBerry fan but they never caught on like everyone wanted. They did indeed exit the phone business and software doesn't even seem like it's coming anymore. Heck, BlackBerry 10 hasn't even seen a leaked build in months and not a word has came on Android N for the other devices. For BlackBerry being "On top" for security, they should have the major updates out within a month. Their only releasing security updates monthly but those aren't going to fix everything that might exist from Android M.

Posted via CB10
    I think you think "software" means stuff for your phone as a consumer. You should check.out the BlackBerry Web site to see what their software offerings actually ARE.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    04-19-17 09:22 AM
    OP, it sounds like you found an echo chamber for your narrative.

Also, if you're going troll, troll harder. Blaming Chen for everything bad that happens to you is so 2016.

Posted via CB10
    Nothing wrong with asking the question. This is a BlackBerry support forum now is it not? Lol. Why don't you scare away all the new potential customers who ask the same thing, I'm sure that will do a lot of good!

And you are wrong, this is not a Chen witch hunt. When you're the leader, when you deceive your customers...you own it. I did not put him in that situation. Maybe you should take up the issue with Fairfax.

Anyway...it appears the BlackBerry 'special sauce' has passed it's due date, and there is no fresh batch on the way. That's big news. For me anyway. That was one of the key selling points of BlackBerry Android. And it was one of the reasons I bought into the BlackBerry Android scam in the first place. WAS.

I mean perhaps all this is amusing for some people...that the KEYone is just a pkb device with pre-installed BlackBerry apps and a BlackBerry logo stuck on the back. But that's not the BlackBerry I've respected and supported for 10+ years. Not even close.

Extremely disappointed!
    crackberry_geek and werkregen like this.
    04-19-17 09:32 AM
    Nothing wrong with asking the question. This is a BlackBerry support forum now is it not? Lol. Why don't you scare away all the new potential customers who ask the same thing, I'm sure that will do a lot of good!

And you are wrong, this is not a Chen witch hunt. When you're the leader, when you deceive your customers...you own it. I did not put him in that situation. Maybe you should take up the issue with Fairfax.

Anyway...it appears the BlackBerry 'special sauce' has passed it's due date, and there is no fresh batch on the way. That's big news. For me anyway. That was one of the key selling points of BlackBerry Android. And it was one of the reasons I bought into the BlackBerry Android scam in the first place. WAS.

I mean perhaps all this is amusing for some people...that the KEYone is just a pkb device with pre-installed BlackBerry apps and a BlackBerry logo stuck on the back. But that's not the BlackBerry I've respected and supported for 10+ years. Not even close.

Extremely disappointed!
    Regardless, the Special sauce is still the fact that BB is not going to be rootable at a HW level and the BB suites of apps including keyboard. Once a BB is rootable then you can say it no longer has ANY difference to other Android.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-19-17 09:56 AM
    Regardless, the Special sauce is still the fact that BB is not going to be rootable at a HW level and the BB suites of apps including keyboard. Once a BB is rootable then you can say it no longer has ANY difference to other Android.
    Let's assume you are correct and that is the only differentiator. Is the fact BlackBerry made it "unrootable" really anything special...or just another Android permissions setting that can be enabled or disabled by any oem?
    04-19-17 11:08 AM
    Let's assume you are correct and that is the only differentiator. Is the fact BlackBerry made it "unrootable" really anything special...or just another Android permissions setting that can be enabled or disabled by any oem?
    Who knows... unless someone takes the time to determine if the special sauce is just a play on Thousand Island dressing we won't know. But no one else is doing it (its seen as good for sales) so if a Government, Company or Individual feels they need it... BlackBerry is the only one selling it that way.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-19-17 11:35 AM
    Who knows... unless someone takes the time to determine if the special sauce is just a play on Thousand Island dressing we won't know. But no one else is doing it (its seen as good for sales) so if a Government, Company or Individual feels they need it... BlackBerry is the only one selling it that way.
    I suppose, if you still believe it. We will see once the KEYone is released and how long it takes to get rooted. From what I can tell they list three main security features: monthly updates, (ie Google) BlackBerry apps, and "security built in from the start"...no one knows what that last item really means. And as I stated previously, encryption, root of trust, and hardened kernel are all features Google claims are enabled for Nougat anyway. BlackBerryMobile does not make specific mention of any of those features by the way, including whether or not KEYone will be unrootable. Just an observation.
    Last edited by kputock; 04-19-17 at 01:16 PM.
    04-19-17 12:29 PM
    The KEYone is exactly like a PRIV/DTEk50/DTEK60. If it was rootable, then those would have been already.
    04-19-17 01:24 PM
    The KEYone is exactly like a PRIV/DTEk50/DTEK60. If it was rootable, then those would have been already.
    Well, maybe. But no one is actually saying this about the KEYone, nor is there very much available in terms of what they have done with Android 7 on the Aurora either. All I could find was (translation) "Coupled with additional security systems that allow us to protect data and files and protect your privacy"
    https://www.bbmerahputih.co.id/product/aurora.php
    Not too precise is it? I guess if you still trust the brand, you can take their word they are doing *something* other than collecting a royalty for the BlackBerry app suite and logo. Lol.
    04-19-17 02:24 PM
    I like the simplicity of that answer...LOL!

So I suppose that gives anyone interested in 'BlackBerry' much more options in terms of their next device. We can basically pick up any Android device running Nougat, purchase (or use for free, with ads) the BlackBerry App suite...and we basically get the same BlackBerry experience others will pay hundreds of dollars more for, with the same (or better) hardware? Wow. Thanks Chen! That's a going to be a lot cheaper than my PRIV and as an added bonus, I won't have to wear the badge of a sell-out company that lies to its customers on my device. Sweet!
    Wow, looks like someone had an epiphany. 😂
    04-19-17 02:34 PM
    Wow, looks like someone had an epiphany. 😂
    Yeah, haha...that Google security report was a good read. I'm glad BlackBerry opened my eyes to it Lol. I'm starting to think maybe an S8 + $12 for BlackBerry apps isn't looking like such a bad deal.
    04-19-17 02:50 PM
    Yeah, haha...that Google security report was a good read. I'm glad BlackBerry opened my eyes to it Lol. I'm starting to think maybe an S8 + $12 for BlackBerry apps isn't looking like such a bad deal.
    What!? No, seriously, who are you and what have you done with the real kputock?
    It's not as fun when you agree with me!
    04-19-17 03:00 PM
    What!? No, seriously, who are you and what have you done with the real kputock?
    It's not as fun when you agree with me!
    Not to worry, I'm sure there will be other opportunities. Ha ha
    04-19-17 03:10 PM
    Not to worry, I'm sure there will be other opportunities. Ha ha
    Well at least now your next device choice has seriously opened up!

Great as the S8+ is, also give the Google Pixel XL, Sony Xperia XZ Premium, OnePlus 3T, Huawei P10 Plus, and LG G6 a look.

I'd be confused at what to get if I was in the market for a new device right now. But I'd probably land up with an Exynos Galaxy S8+.
    04-19-17 03:17 PM
    I wonder what the next non PKB phone will be like.
    04-19-17 03:52 PM
109 123 ...