I am kicking around the idea of picking up another Apple iPhone as a weekend/fun phone...but I'm not willing to give up my BlackBerry or any of it's current functionality.

Does anybody here use both phones? How can I use the iPhone with the BlackBerry SIM and data plan? I don't to add another line to my current account to accomodate the iPhone.

I can certainly live without the iPhones "Visual Voicemail"...but I cannot live without my BlackBerry BIS email.

Thanks for the help!!
    01-16-08 08:35 AM
    Come on guys & gals!!

I know that this is a BB-specific forum...but I also bet there are several "closet" iPhone users out there too that can help me here.

Nobody knows?
    01-16-08 10:03 AM
    Sorry, I had an iPhone, but I actually used an iPhone 'data' plan. So, I'm not sure how it would work with the BlackBerry plan, albeit I've been told it WOULD work...

Yahoo! email is delivered instantly on it, too. So does GMail, but I've seen delays with it from time to time, but never with Yahoo!
    01-16-08 10:36 AM
    theres a a place i serched on line that cloned your simcard i dont know how it would work with 2 smartphones well 1 smartphone and one Fone. what it stated it did was when one phone was moving on network towers it choes that phone to send calls and what now just the adtive phone got the calls. witch probly aint what your looking for but when i was on the serch to do what your talking about this was the only poor anwser
    01-16-08 12:28 PM
    Sorry, I had an iPhone, but I actually used an iPhone 'data' plan. So, I'm not sure how it would work with the BlackBerry plan, albeit I've been told it WOULD work...

Yahoo! email is delivered instantly on it, too. So does GMail, but I've seen delays with it from time to time, but never with Yahoo!

I had both at the same time, and they were NOT interchangable. The iphone data plan did NOT work on the blackberry and vice a versa. Maybe the ATT store and support people didnt know how to do it, but after it was all said and done, neither phone worked for cra$. i stayed with the BB and dumped the iphone as a weekender. Actually the visual voice mail is one of its better features. The phone, ipod and web are super. The txt and email suck beyond words. If you need email to be reliable, stay with BB, at least for now.
    01-16-08 03:46 PM
    I played around with the iPhone as a "weekend" phone last year. Had the BB plan on my account and just put the BB sim in the iPhone. I did not get charged any overages during the times I used data on the iPhone. YouTube and visual voice mail did NOT work but the Safari browser worked fine. YouTube did work while using WiFi though.

This is just my experience. YMMV.
    01-16-08 04:35 PM
    Thanks for the input, guys (and, gals?). I'm still not sure that I want to fork over the $400 to get another iPhone just as, basically...a toy. Truthfully, the BlackBerry does all I want a phone/data-device to do. The added truth is, that the iPhone is simply more fun...and sexier. Oh well...

I agree that the Visual Voicemail is one of the coolest features on the iPhone, and the only one that makes it more than a media-specific device. If that won't work without going to a full-on iPhone data plan (and it won't)...I don't think I'll pull the trigger, at least not yet. And...I am not going to drop my BlackBerry BIS plan, nor am I going to add another iPhone-only line onto my existing plan.

I guess, until the Generation-2 iPhone comes out, and proves to be a HUGE improvement...in feature functionality and design, over the current "beta" model...I'll stick with my BlackBerry and be a happy camper.
    01-16-08 05:27 PM
    I have both. I have had the iPhone since it came out and I have a 8703 w/Sprint. I'm REALLY wanting a Curve so bad I might get rid of the iPhone for the Curve since it doenst look like Sprint is getting it anytime soon. My problem is that I love both phones, they both do certain things great, the iPhone has the best web browser hands down. i'm not sure what i'm going to do......
    01-16-08 07:26 PM
    I have both. I have had the iPhone since it came out and I have a 8703 w/Sprint. I'm REALLY wanting a Curve so bad I might get rid of the iPhone for the Curve since it doenst look like Sprint is getting it anytime soon. My problem is that I love both phones, they both do certain things great, the iPhone has the best web browser hands down. i'm not sure what i'm going to do......
    I feel ur pain. I ended up with only the bb curve. I miss the web and phone quality of the iphone, but everything else about the BB is as good or better for me. Email reliability on the iphone was next to zero. Just google and you will see how many people have issues with it. Even the GEN2 iphone won't have a touch keyboard right? And thats why I couldn't take the iphone seriously for txt/email... Best of luck.
    01-16-08 09:25 PM
    Even the GEN2 iphone won't have a touch keyboard right?
    Where did you get this information? Can you provide a link?
    01-16-08 09:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD