Hi All,

I'm a "new" member around here but have been a long time lurker. I just wanted to create a post about my switching back to BB from iPhone.

I originally went from Blackberry to iPhone due to the "hype" around the iPhone. It was (and still is) being toted as the greatest thing since sliced bread, the smartest of smart phones, the finder of all things...but all I found is myself holding an expensive, sensitive, overrated toy. Coming from Blackberry, the "retina display" and new OS was fun but left me feeling unfulfilled and unaccomplished in the tasks that I rely on a smart phone to help my complete. I constantly found myself handling it, playing with it, having it in my hand, and yet I wasn't sure WHY?! Now I realize, it's because it lacks several functionality features that it attempts to make up for with media superiority and a presentation of being the greatest of greats. I was constantly handling it in an attempt to find some aftermarket cure, some app, some add on that could make this device meet the good old Blackberry dependability in the middle.

Though I enjoy the entertainment options of the iPhone, I find myself longing for the physical keyboard and to-the-point functionality that my Blackberry offered. The iPhone OS is nice but seems limited in customization without jailbreaking the phone - a process which, from what I understand, risks a possibility of "bricking" your phone. Hardly worth the risk, IMO.

While iPhone is sleek, Torch is similarly gorgeous and yet includes a physical keyboard.

With the webkit browser of the Torch, it is comparable to the iPhone "feel" I've gotten used to. Admittedly, the Torch is a few seconds behind the iPhone 4 in web browsing tests but it certainly isn't a deal breaker for users like me who can sacrifice that few seconds in exchange for the functionality offered by other parts of the BB interface. In reality, is checking CNN.com on the T to Boston a "shoot out" with the iPhone user sitting across the way? No. I found myself getting swept up in the need for speed that Apple prides itself on but in reality, the difference isn't much reason to jump ship from another smart device.

To be honest, what I most miss about BB is the LED indicator light and the notification system of the Blackberry. The one thing that annoyed me most about iPhone was being in the middle of an email/text or attempting to take a photo and having the entire operation thrown off by a message notification. The box pops up and immediately prompts input whereas Blackberry discreetly notifies you of your notification while not bothering you with the immediate need for acknowledgment. Granted, you can turn this "pop up" system off but for apps that I want notifications from but have placed into folders or on other home screens, I'll never know I've received something without an external indicator (or without checking all of my apps every single hour!).

All in all, I enjoy the iPhone as an entertainment and look-what-I-got device but it's worn its welcome in the 5 months I've had it. The App Store is great but I find myself playing a game for a maximum of a day or two before the app is deleted. In addition, the syncing requires use of iTunes and having free custom ringtones is an impossibility. Having Weather Bug installed is a nuisance as it often crashes and doesn't have a display system without going all the way into the app like WeatherEye on my Curve had. What I'll be losing in my iPhone won't be missed and if I find myself missing it, I can get an iPod touch or spend an hour playing in the Apple store, if I REALLY need to.

If you want a device you can put in a display case and invite your friends over to oogle at your awesomeness, get the iPhone 4. If you can live with being a second behind your Apple friends and yet retain the best functionality on the market, seek Blackberry. (I won't include Android in this as the typical comparison seems to be between BB 9800 and iP4. I used an Android device before and found it to be better than iOS but still lacking where Blackberry met all of my needs.)

So, sorry for the long post but I wanted to give my input and reasons for going from Blackberry to iPhone 4 and now back to BB! For any inquiring minds out there like my self, I hope this helps in some way.

-Ashley
    Last edited by a-sweeney; 02-04-11 at 11:14 PM.
    02-04-11 11:07 PM
    Welcome back. I went 3GS and came back too. I did like iOS and the functionality of it though. It was a great phone, I just didn't love it like my BB. Its a trade-off in certain areas either way you go. It all depends on what you want and need in your device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-04-11 11:18 PM
    Nice post. I agree with alot of things you mentioned, I had an iPhone 4 for the longest time with my Blackberry Torch. I preferred the BB over the iPhone mainly cause the iPhone 4 had connectivity issues with some of my email accounts.

Anyways nice post and welcome back to the world of BB
    02-04-11 11:18 PM
    Welcome back to the winning team #TeamBlackberry
    BayouBengal21 likes this.
    02-04-11 11:24 PM
    Welcome back. I went 3GS and came back too. I did like iOS and the functionality of it though. It was a great phone, I just didn't love it like my BB. Its a trade-off in certain areas either way you go. It all depends on what you want and need in your device.

Definitely! If I was primarily a media user, I might be happier with iP4 but it just can't touch Blackberry when it comes to everyday use.
    02-04-11 11:28 PM
    Glad to hear you came back to BB! Some people just get caught up in the glitz and glamour and need to tout their phone as the greatest gift as it came from Jesus' hands....not withstanding it may work for them, but majority of people that have an iPhone or latest Android only care about keeping up with the Jones'....

Note I said majority... Waits for it....

By the way, I had an original Apple, lol! Also two Androids...and couldn't pay me to go back to them...

02-05-11 07:09 AM
    I'll agree that I wouldn't use an iPhone as stock. Too much to be desired. I jailbroke and it was the best thing I ever did. Bricking during the jailbreak is very rare. I have jailbroken about 100 iPhone 4s now. All went smooth. Took 1 min to jailbreak.
    I'm with everyone and their dog that hated that stupid pop up for texts and so on while doing something. Now having the ability to Disable the popup and just having that little notification on the status bar when I receive a text and tapping it when I want to view it is great. I can even text right from the lockscreen.

As I've said after jailbreaking I absolutely could never go back to using an iPhone as stock. So I understand how people feel coming from BB to iPhone and then back.
    02-05-11 07:26 AM
    OP, thank you for the fair assessment and sharing of your own experience. Personally, I think that the iPhone is a solid device. I would have gotten one instead of the S2 if not for the stupid notification system.
    02-05-11 07:32 AM
    I'll agree that I wouldn't use an iPhone as stock. Too much to be desired. I jailbroke and it was the best thing I ever did. Bricking during the jailbreak is very rare. I have jailbroken about 100 iPhone 4s now. All went smooth. Took 1 min to jailbreak.
    I'm with everyone and their dog that hated that stupid pop up for texts and so on while doing something. Now having the ability to Disable the popup and just having that little notification on the status bar when I receive a text and tapping it when I want to view it is great. I can even text right from the lockscreen.

As I've said after jailbreaking I absolutely could never go back to using an iPhone as stock. So I understand how people feel coming from BB to iPhone and then back.
    That sounds good. It could actually be functional for me if it's true. Is it possible to revert it to pre-Jailbreak condition before I bring the phone in for repair or warranty exchanges?
    02-05-11 07:34 AM
    Thank you for your post. I had a similar experience with the original Droid. I had been with BB for 6-8 years and was coming from the Storm which I really didn't care for. I switched to the Droid, which is a great phone by the way, but just not for me. I have had it for a year and just bought a used Tour to get me through to my next upgrade time at the end of the year. I'm looking forward to the new BB's coming out to see what I go with.

Anyway, I feel exactly the same way about the Droid as you do about the Iphone. Great entertainment device and has some "cool" features, but at the end of the day I need a solid, dependable communication device. My phone's main function is to keep me connected to my clients. No matter how many apps I download I just can't seem to make the Droid do what Blackberry does so well. My Tour arrives today or Monday. While it's an outdated phone for BB, it was an inexpensive way to come back.
    02-05-11 07:37 AM
    That sounds good. It could actually be functional for me if it's true. Is it possible to revert it to pre-Jailbreak condition before I bring the phone in for repair or warranty exchanges?
    Yes a simple Restore in iTunes takes the jailbreak totally off. No traces of a jailbreak is there after a restore.
    02-05-11 08:05 AM
    Every device has its ups and downs, it's whether the positive outweighs the negative that will make or break your smartphone experience. If I want the entertainment value of Apple, I'd get an iPod, and call it good. The BlackBerry works for me, and is why I haven't moved from it. Dependable, solid, and helps me stay organized, as well as connected. My family shares back and forth, messages, appointments, information, videos, etc. I've yet to encounter a problem I couldn't work with or get sorted out.  meets my needs.

OP, that was well written, welcome back to BlackBerry.

02-05-11 09:06 AM
    Yes a simple Restore in iTunes takes the jailbreak totally off. No traces of a jailbreak is there after a restore.
    That's brilliant. Looks like I can finally consider getting an iPhone. Thanks for the info!
    02-05-11 09:45 AM
    I felt exactly the same. After the novelty factor wears off, I missed how organized and accesible everything was on blackberry.

I love my 9700

02-05-11 09:47 AM
    Jailbreaking does make the iPhone a lot better if you find any of the jailbreak apps useful. I recently bought a 9700 on eBay just to try out a BB, the headphone jack stopped working and orange replaced it with a 9780. I tried using the iPhone yesterday and I was shocked that I missed using the blackberry so I'm back to using the bold and its fantastic
    02-05-11 09:51 AM
    I just recently switched from HTC Evo 4g back to a BB. I've had multiple BB's and it's really hard not to come back....WELCOME BACK :-)
    02-05-11 11:25 AM
    Welcome back to the Fam!

I can appreciate your experience. I had pretty my EXACTLY the same one. Back to a 9700 now, until ATT decides to get their a$$ in gear and get the 9780. Would do TMo, but they get NO service in my area and are a "sub-par" service provider, if you don't live in a major metropolitan area. (No Offense TMo customers, that's just my .02)

I agree that the iPhone IS better jbroken or unlocked, but I honestly like to use a device without having to get into all of that. I like to pick a phone off the shelf and use it for the duration w/o having to get into "jailbreaking" and all. And that is why I like BB better than most of the other "competition".

02-06-11 05:23 AM
    Thanks for all of the welcomes!

I picked up my Torch last night and I'm really loving it! The new OS 6 is great! It's speedy, well organized, and easy to use.

The Torch itself is a great device. Well built, solid, and of course I am loving that I have a physical keyboard back I tried to use the on screen keyboard a few times. While it is easy to use and not as cramped as the reviews make it out to be, there really is no point in using it with that beautiful BB keyboard right under it!
    02-06-11 08:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD