I have this person who has been talking to me on BBM for about a year now. I have no freaking clue who it is, they claim to live in Los Angeles but when I trace the email header it shows London as the location.

Now I have been in contact via email with her and I have traced the email header. The email header shows the email was sent by a blackberry and shows the ip address associated with a blackberry and location is the UK and the phone was purchased in London. Now here's my question if the person bought the blackberry in London and lived here in Los Angeles and used it to email me would it show that the persons ip address was in London? I did find out that when you email from a smart phone it will not show your exact address. I tried it from my phone and when I searched the email header my ip address comes out of Ohio and I live in Los Angeles.

So again the question is if she bought the phone in the UK and emailed me from Los Angeles from her phone could her phones IP address in the email header be a UK IP address?
    12-26-10 11:49 PM
    Do you want really want to know how the email protocols work or do you want to know where she really is?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-27-10 12:03 AM
    Both will be very helpful. I forgot to mention her email address is a Hotmail address and not a Blackberry address. She accesses Hotmail from her Blackberry when emailing me
    Do you want really want to know how the email protocols work or do you want to know where she really is?

12-27-10 12:10 AM
    Okay here is my thought. I think it would be hard to locate someone through their IP on a bb since everything is pushed through RIM's servers in Canada. Some one else please pipe in and correct if I am off base on this.

As far as locating your mystery woman if she has or will send you a pic taken by her blackberry at her location, you could view the geotagging embedded in the file by viewing the pictures properties on a computer. This should give you her gps coordinates. That is providing she hasn't turned the feature off. Put the coordinates into any gps and her location should pop up. Hope this helps.

Last edited by albee 1; 12-27-10 at 08:13 AM.
    12-27-10 08:07 AM
    What everyone has been saying that all the servers are in Canada and even if they live in another country their ip address is a Canadian one. But what's interesting with hers it's always a London one. I tried to grab her ip address again last night and I was hoping she would click on the link in her email with her pc but she didn't she used her darn phone again. I even told her she should click on the link with her PC since the site has flash and her phone wont be able to show the site. But anyways here's her IP address from her phone so if anyone can help out I would greatly appreciate it 92.11.104.49
    12-27-10 12:59 PM
    I would assume that there is more than one server bank for RIM based on what continent you are on. I remember that there was that big snaffu going on with the UAE and RIM not letting the government access their server or something like that. I can only think that based on where you are is what server you are going through. I would think that if her IP comes from London, then she would be somewhere in Europe.

For example, whenever I log into Facebook using the browser on my BB, Facebook sends me an e-mail to let me know that someone has logged into my account, and where it is from. Every time the e-mail says that it was accessed from Waterloo, Ontario Canada. I would assume that If I was in England or something that it would say London, England or wherever the RIM servers are over there...

Of course, I don't know for sure... just guessing.
    12-27-10 02:01 PM
    I'm still looking for someone who knows the answer. This is driving me crazy. I remember I got from her IP address onetime it said something about Cloud Service whatever that means
    12-28-10 02:59 AM
    Are you sure she's a girl? Lol

12-28-10 03:29 AM
    My 2cents, is that your heading down a road you probably don't want to go down, it won't end well. Give it time and if she hasn't already, she will tell you everything you need to know, just be patient and enjoy what you have otherwise you might ruin a good thing.

Maybe she told you what she did to protect herself, and in time it will all come out in the wash (so to speak)
    12-28-10 06:45 AM
    Regardless of where her BlackBerry IP address is showing as its location, why are you skeptical of the location she gave you (LA)? You've been talking to her for a year and you still don't trust her.

And I would like more info on the 'email header-IP address-tracking website.'
    12-28-10 07:36 AM
    This has become quite the entertaining read... It's like some evening drama. Where is she REALLY at? Where is that IP REALLY coming from? Is she REALLY a she?!? All questions will be answered in this episode!!
    12-28-10 07:53 AM
    So she said she lives in LA. Have you asked her to give you an address? It just does not sound right that you've been chatting with a person for a year and you have to resort to IP tracking to find out where the person lives. So here's are some question for you. Is she really a girl? Is she an adult or just some kid messing with you? Has this person sent you a picture? You might be putting all this effort into a person who is not legit. Just some friendly advise.
    12-28-10 07:57 AM
    So she said she lives in LA. Have you asked her to give you an address? It just does not sound right that you've been chatting with a person for a year and you have to resort to IP tracking to find out where the person lives. So here's are some question for you. Is she really a girl? Is she an adult or just some kid messing with you? Has this person sent you a picture? You might be putting all this effort into a person who is not legit. Just some friendly advise.
    She must be smokin hot...
    12-28-10 07:59 AM
    Not for nothing, but this sounds borderline stalker-ish. Just my .02 cents.
    12-28-10 08:35 AM
    I totally agree. You've been talking to some skan.k over BBM for a year and you're all serious about her lying to you about her location? Dude, WTF? Are you in love?

I sound like a d-bag don't I? XD
    Last edited by CASH; 12-28-10 at 09:03 AM.
    12-28-10 08:53 AM
    She's an 82 year old grandma that lives 2 doors down! Hahaha sorry couldn't help it.

12-28-10 11:37 AM

I know we're not talking about chat rooms, but I think the image applies...
    12-28-10 11:49 AM
    That is the Exact same thing that i was thinking, this sounds like someone is trying to stalk someone else, and asking for our assistance.

With that being said, IF she was interested in meeting you, she would offer for that to happen. And set up a time and a place to meet. No need to track IP addresses.
    12-28-10 11:51 AM
    I will try to answer as many questions as possible. I work in the entertainment industry and the person in question might be the celebrity I work around. I'm guessing it is and I want to know who they are so I can feel more safe. If it's not her who knows who it is, to keep her safe and myself safe that's the major reason why I want to know. This person has multiple names they keep switching too, multiple FB accounts and Twitter accounts. I also want to know because I want to make sure the person is female and not some dude.

I keep talking to the person because they know there stuff and have info only the celebrity or a family member would know, she or he helps me do my job and get stories for the media and helps me get the photos. So it's not some random useless person and in a way I consider this person my friend. So if you talked for someone for over a year wouldn't it drive you mad if their identity was a mystery?

Just a little disclaimer don't fish for the celebrity name because I won't say who I think it is. I'm just on here mainly trying to find out if this person is in the US or some other country.

Now if he or she has one of those International Blackberrys is it possible it may use the London server to send out info if she's in the US? She keeps saying she's in Los Angeles but the the IP address always says London. She only uses her phone to email she never uses a home PC so it makes it really hard to to find her actual location
    Last edited by Dave90025; 12-28-10 at 01:12 PM.
    12-28-10 01:10 PM
    No. I have spoken with people for a few months or more and have no idea of their true identity. Although I don't like it, it is THEIR choice to remain anonymous and confidential.

BTW, whats it matter if they are female or male if they help you get pics and such. Accept the generosity.

Just accept it and carry on with your life.
    12-28-10 01:24 PM
    Now if he or she has one of those International Blackberrys is it possible it may use the London server to send out info if she's in the US? She keeps saying she's in Los Angeles but the the IP address always says London. She only uses her phone to email she never uses a home PC so it makes it really hard to to find her actual location
    It's not possible to choose what server your BB transmits it's data through. I've got a BB World Phone, and my data transmits through the server that (I assume) handles all of North America. I would also assume that if she were in LA, it would go through the same server. Now, since it probably doesn't make a whole lot of sense for the data traffic on other continents to be handled all the way in Canada, there is probably a RIM location in London that handles European BlackBerry data. The same is probably true for other large land masses. I think that it's safe to say if her IP is being traced back to London England, then she's somewhere in Europe.

If I travel to Europe, and I use my BB over there, I would only assume that my data would transmit through the BlackBerry server bank in Europe, not transmit all the way across the Atlantic through the servers in Canada, that doesn't make sense.

RIM European Headquarters are currently based in London, England, in the suburb of Slough. Due to substantial growth across the region, we'll soon expand this location to include a new state-of-the-art facility in this high-tech region.
    Taken from this link:
    Research In Motion - EMEA
    Last edited by elvin1983; 12-28-10 at 01:58 PM.
    12-28-10 01:56 PM
    ... So if you talked for someone for over a year wouldn't it drive you mad if their identity was a mystery?...
    Nope. Well... kind of. But I would be curious.

BTW, how do you know the info she gives you is correct? If it's something only the celeb herself or her close family would know, how do you know? She could be lying.

No. I have spoken with people for a few months or more and have no idea of their true identity. Although I don't like it, it is THEIR choice to remain anonymous and confidential.
    That's mostly because you guys are just talking. He's apparently talking to some big, Hollywood movie star.

BTW, whats it matter if they are female or male if they help you get pics and such. Accept the generosity.

Just accept it and carry on with your life.
    Ditto.
    Last edited by CASH; 12-28-10 at 02:06 PM.
    12-28-10 02:02 PM
    She knows the celebrities flight info, gate number if she left or not, she also knows where she's at like a coffee shop at 3am etc. She also knows what she was wearing right after I shot her allot of details.

One day she told me I can't BBM and drive I'll talk to you later and I called my friend who was waiting at her house and within 15 to 30 seconds after she sent me that message she was driving out of her driveway. Mind you all of this took place in Los Angeles. I would think that it was a random person grabbing info from Twitter but some things you just can't grab from the internet

Nope. Well... kind of. But I would be curious.

BTW, how do you know the info she gives you is correct? If it's something only the celeb herself or her close family would know, how do you know? She could be lying.

That's mostly because you guys are just talking. He's apparently talking to some big, Hollywood movie star.

Ditto.
    12-28-10 02:21 PM
    She knows the celebrities flight info, gate number if she left or not, she also knows where she's at like a coffee shop at 3am etc. She also knows what she was wearing right after I shot her allot of details.

One day she told me I can't BBM and drive I'll talk to you later and I called my friend who was waiting at her house and within 15 to 30 seconds after she sent me that message she was driving out of her driveway. Mind you all of this took place in Los Angeles. I would think that it was a random person grabbing info from Twitter but some things you just can't grab from the internet
    So you called your friend who was waiting at your "contact's" house, but you don't know who your "contact" really is? Man, I'm awfully confused.
    12-28-10 02:42 PM

Do you know if the info she gives you is 100% correct? How does she claim to know this info or the celebrity?
    12-28-10 02:46 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD