My non-technical evaluation: Web page rendering sucks and speed sucks (BIS is BS). RIM no doubtedly is behind in offering a Flash capable browser no less a browser that doesn't **** off most experienced smartphone users.

I would love to get some technical explanations on why Blackberrys suck so bad at web browsing compared to the competition. Please don't bother with the all-too-often excuse that "Blackberry is better at business stuff" because all successfull businesses are web friendly (have web pages and conduct business over the web) and have been for the last 10 years. So refrain from using "smoke and mirrors", this isn't congress.

Calling all you tech-knowledgeable Crackberry fiends, let us have it...again. Show off your smart-muscle...maybe RIM is watching and reading. I certainly hope they are and will listen AND get up to snuff fast.
    Last edited by Jaredius; 05-23-10 at 06:12 PM.
    05-23-10 05:22 PM
    There's no reason now, after RIM bought Torch Mobile. They're working on a new webkit browser that scores 100 on the acid3 test and has tabs. It's coming soon in the next OS. Until then, just hang tight.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-23-10 06:10 PM
    There's no reason now, after RIM bought Torch Mobile. They're working on a new webkit browser that scores 100 on the acid3 test and has tabs. It's coming soon in the next OS. Until then, just hang tight.

I hope you are right. From what I have seen in videos (that always show crappy on a berry), the webkit didn't impress me at all, regardless of scoring 100 on acid3. Playing with other smartphones in recent past have really shown me how blind my loyalty to Blackberry is. Hardware on new devices is behind the times, too.

05-23-10 06:19 PM
    I think the browser is just fine. It meets my needs. My question to you is, if the browser means so much to you, why do you keep buying BlackBerry smartphones? There are so many other devices on every network that have outstanding browsers. Why not choose one of those? Sounds better than complaining doesn't it?

05-23-10 06:40 PM
    I didn't realize there's a problem with the browser. Mine works fine. And I'm only on the 4.5.0.186 os.
    05-23-10 06:46 PM
    Agree 100% it really sucks having to switch between all 3 browsers depending on the website im trying to visit. For the most part the BB browser is ok on mobile sites only.
    05-23-10 06:55 PM
    I think the browser is just fine. It meets my needs. My question to you is, if the browser means so much to you, why do you keep buying BlackBerry smartphones? There are so many other devices on every network that have outstanding browsers. Why not choose one of those? Sounds better than complaining doesn't it?

I didn't realize there's a problem with the browser. Mine works fine. And I'm only on the 4.5.0.186 os.
    Whatever! Grab any iphone, android, or webos phone for 5 minutes and then try to continue to spew that garbage!
    05-23-10 06:58 PM
    Is the Blackberry Browser actually programmed in Java? If so that would completely explain why it is so slow...
    05-23-10 07:06 PM
    The BB Browser may "work fine" for some... but in a comparison to an iPhone, an ANDROID phone or even a current WinMo Phone, the browser is just SLOW.

And while RIM's new OS6 with webkit browser is suppose to fix the problems that users experience with very slow rendering of web pages, real world evidence is yet to be seen.

One question is will the browser still need to connect through RIM Servers?
    05-23-10 08:44 PM
    I don't chime in often but i am getting sick and tired of people starting all these threads of how horrible the BB browser is. I don't use the internet on my phone for that many different websites, usually just the same ones and it works fine for me. Depending on where i'm at it can be good or really bad(is mainly bad at work for some reason). Anyway if you don't like the speed of the browser and it is that important to you, then stop complaining and get an Android phone. Crying about on a forum isn't going to make it magically become better.
    05-23-10 09:12 PM
    I don't chime in often but i am getting sick and tired of people starting all these threads of how horrible the BB browser is. I don't use the internet on my phone for that many different websites, usually just the same ones and it works fine for me. Depending on where i'm at it can be good or really bad(is mainly bad at work for some reason). Anyway if you don't like the speed of the browser and it is that important to you, then stop complaining and get an Android phone. Crying about on a forum isn't going to make it magically become better.
    I am glad you like your browsing experience on BB. I am not crying about it, I am complaining about it and asking for technical explanations of why it is bad compared to other high-end smartphones. Since you can't offer anything but a complaint of a complaint, maybe you should just ignore "these threads". Crying about them isn't going to magically make them disappear.

05-23-10 10:11 PM
    The BB Browser may "work fine" for some... but in a comparison to an iPhone, an ANDROID phone or even a current WinMo Phone, the browser is just SLOW.

And while RIM's new OS6 with webkit browser is suppose to fix the problems that users experience with very slow rendering of web pages, real world evidence is yet to be seen.

One question is will the browser still need to connect through RIM Servers?
    I haven't read anything different so I think it will still use BIS. Maybe someone who has some in-depth technical knowledge can help us out with some detailed info on how the webkit, integrated with BIS is suppose to provide a better browsing experience. I vaguely recall that BIS "rations" data much like a bandwidth management appliance (PacketShaper, NetEqualizer, etc.). That can be a good thing in certain environments and certain circumstances (inadequate bandwidth for the amount of nodes, preventing a few nodes from bandwidth abuse). It can be a bad thing if it inappropriately constricts access to available resources.

I know there are some Crackberry techies out there that have the technical insider skinny. I hope they post up. Anyone else who has nothing constructive to offer please move along. This thread is not the thread you are looking for.

Last edited by Jaredius; 05-23-10 at 10:52 PM.
    05-23-10 10:38 PM
    The browser really isn't that bad with the 5.0.0.6xx releases. Just wait for the new browser before passing judgement, or get an ipod touch in you need a good browser now. I mean, I know you're looking for an answer for the current browser, but it really won't be relevant for much longer. It would be tantamount to complaining about the trackball when they are no longer being installed on newer devices.

05-23-10 11:12 PM
    The browser really isn't that bad with the 5.0.0.6xx releases. Just wait for the new browser before passing judgement, or get an ipod touch in you need a good browser now. I mean, I know you're looking for an answer for the current browser, but it really won't be relevant for much longer. It would be tantamount to complaining about the trackball when they are no longer being installed on newer devices.

I have never noticed a quantifiable advance in the browser from one OS to another. I am currently on 5.0.0.656 and it is as it always has been in past releases...bad in comparison to other smartphone browsers on the market.

I am not passing judgement on the new webkit browser, but in light of the past (OS 4, 4.5, 5) history I remain skeptical.

Since you dismiss my originally posted topic of discussion like it's nonsense from some compulsive complainer, do you have any more in-depth analysis on the new webkit browser?

05-23-10 11:42 PM
    Whatever! Grab any iphone, android, or webos phone for 5 minutes and then try to continue to spew that garbage!
    Its not garbage, its the truth and I have owned the other devices that you mention. But I don't hold the browser as my primary interest in a smartphone. But again, I ask, why don't you just get another device that has a better browser? Why complain about your BlackBerry? Did you not notice what the browser was like when you bought it?

05-23-10 11:58 PM
    Since you dismiss my originally posted topic of discussion like it's nonsense from some compulsive complainer, do you have any more in-depth analysis on the new webkit browser?
    It's not so much nonsense as it is irrelevant. RIM recognized that they're weak in the browser department, so they bought a company that specializes in making mobile browsers. If the new browser that comes out still falls under par, then you'd have every reason to complain. Until then, it's pretty much beating a dead horse. The BlackBerry browser isn't up to par with other platforms. We know. RIM knows. Everyone knows.

If you're looking for more intricate details on the new browser, here's a little tidbit.

Long story short, RIM will be utilizing their NOC to compress data before it's sent to the phone, not only allowing for more data bandwidth efficiency, but also faster loading of webpages. Opera Mini and Bolt do the same thing, hence why they are so much faster than the native browser. This is all in theory, of course.
    Last edited by Masahiro; 05-24-10 at 01:18 AM.
    05-24-10 12:58 AM
    I don't understand the OP. Its like wanting the performance of a Ferrari, but buying a Kia. Then complaining that the Kia isn't as fast as the Ferrari. Well duh, if you wanted the performance of a Ferrari, buy a Ferrari!

If mobile browsing is really important to you, and you know the bb isn't up to par, buy another phone!

05-24-10 01:30 AM
    FWIW - I've tried repeatedly to coax either the native BB browser or Opera Mini into 'playing well' with the forums on a couple of websites that I visit regularly. I am an admin at one of those sites: so mobile forum-posting capability is very important. Unfortunately, neither the BB browser nor Opera would permit me to make forum posts at my sites. I could read the forums easily enough, but I could not post there. I've tried the recommended 'tricks' with both browsers: nada.

Fortunately for me, the Bolt browser 2.02 works perfectly. It's proven to be super-fast, too. It does exactly what I need. And that's a Very Good Thing.

Regarding the three available (that I'm aware of) browsers for the BB: the 'lousy' built-in BB browser under discussion here; Opera mini; and Bolt -- it's been said that all three tend to work better with diverse websites. So if you can't get your favorite website to work as you'd like in one of the three browsers, then try the other two browsers. I don't like that type of patchwork approach to browsing......it's annoying, to say the least. Or it can be referred to as badly 'Behind the times', to be less polite......

The native BB browser is best described as 'pedestrian', IMO. Opera mini has the most professional look & feel of the three alternatives: plus a lot of great 'bells 'n whistles' features. If only Opera worked with my forums.........OTOH, Bolt might not have the polish of Opera, but at least in my experience: Bolt actually WORKS, at least for me. I'll trade a lot of flash (pun intended) for practical functionality.

Bolt seems to be doing everything that it's supposed to do, and it's working as advertised. So I'll stick with it for the time being. If BB's new browser pans out like we all hope that it does: then I might switch back. But I'm basically satisfied with what I have now.
    05-24-10 02:55 AM
    I hope new browser will really work better than current browser.

I have question regarding the compression:
    is the compression really help ?
    is there any situation that maybe compression is even worst ?
    if yes. maybe we need option to directly use the internet without going through RIM Server
    05-24-10 03:13 AM
    I find it funny that the apologists continue to claim that web browsing isn't important on their phones. I guess you all don't mind paying extra for a data plan basically just for email.

Things that blackberry tends to do poorly, people usually claim that it's just not that important. Like gaming for instance. Funny thing is though, I see games advertised on Crackberry's home page as "must have" followed by a bunch of comments affirming this, which proves that if blackberry did these things well, you wouldn't hear all of these "mature" people referring to iphones, Droids, and every other device that does these things well as toys.
    05-24-10 03:27 AM
    I find it funny that the apologists continue to claim that web browsing isn't important on their phones. I guess you all don't mind paying extra for a data plan basically just for email.
    Efficient push email while travelling is exactly the reason I selected BlackBerry for our company phones. With worldwide travel and heavy roaming (extortionate billing), reduced data volume for essential communication is more important than a pretty browser and gaming. Each user has different priorities, and we should respect the right to choose the best tool for the task.
    05-24-10 04:31 AM
    Efficient push email while travelling is exactly the reason I selected BlackBerry for our company phones. With worldwide travel and heavy roaming (extortionate billing), reduced data volume for essential communication is more important than a pretty browser and gaming. Each user has different priorities, and we should respect the right to choose the best tool for the task.
    Agree with the Push mail features which is useful.
    But the push mail also need some improvements:
    - Better Email clients. with additional functions. Antispam, Etc.
    - Show the images
    and others

meanwhile if we can have better browser it will be another great things.
    so I think it is OK to give suggestion to RIM for better products
    05-24-10 04:39 AM
    Yes, and more power to you. I understand The necessity for a "world" phone and efficient push email. Don't get me wrong, Blackberry has it's place (I have one for work myself). I'm speaking to those that don't travel internationally, and aren't nearly as important as they think they are. For them, Blackberry is some sort of status symbol (check my signature!). That is why they feel the need to dismiss everything else as a "toy". If what I'm saying doesn't apply to you then why worry about it? Those who get upset by what I say, guess what? The truth hurts.
    05-24-10 05:03 AM
    Agree with the Push mail features which is useful.
    But the push mail also need some improvements:
    - Better Email clients. with additional functions. Antispam, Etc.
    - Show the images
    and others
    With respect... both of these are on my "NFW, actively don't want" list for the mobile device. Spam filtering should be controlled by *my* mail server, not under the control of a third party who can decide that mail from primecustomer.com is spam and I can do nothing about it. IAC true spam should be handled by the server before it ever gets picked up and pushed to the phone - why waste bandwidth on something you will delete immediately on delivery.

As for showing images - again this is an efficiency issue. In the current software I can select whether to view images. I don't want 2 megabyte images pushed to my phone by default. I want to decide for myself whether or when I need to download and see it, and that might not be while I'm stuck in an airport with slow data @ $15/megabyte. You would be amazed by the number of half-witted users who will send a support question with a full resolution screen capture of a PC error message that says "File Not Found".

Even the regular whine about email size limits is a red herring. If a mobile user really needs more than 2 megabytes in a single email on a regular basis I would seriously question their professional competence and ability to select an appropriate device and method of transmission.
    05-24-10 05:25 AM
    Unless you wanna do an attachment.
    05-24-10 04:03 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD