I remember reading something *in these forums if memory serves* about a small town/city 30 minutes outside of RIM headquarters that was working to integrate playbooks into the homes/ other RIM services/hardware. Like an integrated city, anyone remember reading something like this? Would love to re-read
    06-21-12 01:06 PM
    It is Stratford, Ontario (whose other claim to fame is childhood hometown of Justin Bieber)

Stratford, RIM in pilot project | Local | News | Beacon Herald
    06-21-12 01:42 PM
    yes thank you!!
    06-21-12 02:00 PM
    Pretty cool I wish i was one of the homes selected
    06-21-12 02:08 PM
    One of the things that always surprises me is that Canadians are flocking to iPhone and Android. I've often wondered why RIM didn't do massive "it's a Canadian company" marketing to their fellow Canadians. Maybe they have and I'm just not aware of it. Furthermore, I wonder why the Canadian people aren't a bit more loyal to RIM. After all, it is a company they can be proud of, even if it is struggling a bit right now. Regardless of what so mant say, RIM does have a great product. I firmly believe that they will prosper and will carve out a nice niche for themselves. I shake my head because I just feel that they have a superior product in so many ways. Oh well .... just musing here.
    06-21-12 03:45 PM
    One of the things that always surprises me is that Canadians are flocking to iPhone and Android. I've often wondered why RIM didn't do massive "it's a Canadian company" marketing to their fellow Canadians. Maybe they have and I'm just not aware of it. Furthermore, I wonder why the Canadian people aren't a bit more loyal to RIM. After all, it is a company they can be proud of, even if it is struggling a bit right now. Regardless of what so mant say, RIM does have a great product. I firmly believe that they will prosper and will carve out a nice niche for themselves. I shake my head because I just feel that they have a superior product in so many ways. Oh well .... just musing here.

Sure, I'll try to "buy Canadian" when it makes sense, but I'm also not going to put up with an inferior product for the sake of national chauvinism. Nobody should.

I'm proud of RIM, I want them to succeed (I have a stake in it; I'm a shareholder), but I don't expect any of my fellow Canadians to support them simply for the sake of them being a Canadian company.
    06-21-12 04:04 PM
    This to me is the embedded future RIM really seeks. I think BB10 is going to be used to build "smart cities" not just smart phones
    anjali_jain likes this.
    06-21-12 04:23 PM
    Sure, I'll try to "buy Canadian" when it makes sense, but I'm also not going to put up with an inferior product for the sake of national chauvinism. Nobody should.

I'm proud of RIM, I want them to succeed (I have a stake in it; I'm a shareholder), but I don't expect any of my fellow Canadians to support them simply for the sake of them being a Canadian company.
    What you said makes perfect sense to me. I didn't mean to imply that Canadians should go with RIM just because it's a Canadian company. I was taking for granted that they have a superior product and that many people know that. I do agree with you.
    06-21-12 04:58 PM
    That's a bit of a tough sell...try ordering something from blackberry.com some time. The accent you hear won't be familiar. I've never spoken to a Canadian rep; asia and Texas, yes, but nobody from Canada. RIM may have started in Canada, and may even maintain it's head office here, but to the consumer, it's just another web presence.
    06-21-12 06:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD