No, I had insurance that I bought from a third party on the internet, when at&t started offering insurance that company went under. I was in your exact shoes so I had some issues with my old device and called at&t. I explained the situation with the phone and they suggested a replacement. I asked at that time if I could add insurance from at&t to my account since I was getting a new phone from the company and they were aware it was in good working order. The CS rep said yes and noted the account that I wanted insurance once the phone was received. I got the phone, called CS back to add the insurance and had to speak with a manager before they'd actually add it but since it was noted on the account she really had no choice.
    IC.. I get what you're saying. I'm still stuck until something happens - and if something does happen I won't be able to replace it with a 8310.. maybe I could with a 8330 or a BOLD. OK, I digressed.. That's just something else I'll need to consider.

Thanks for hanging in with me..
    08-01-08 02:50 PM
    Charlie - That's definitely a wise decision. It's my plan for my next berry. I'll admit just because I can't get insurance on this one, it won't stop me. However, AT&T has a "no insurance" policy on iPhones, BB's 8820, 8310 Curves, Tilt 8925, Palm Treo 680, 750 and Pantech Duo C810. That really sucks! This revelation is as of May 1, 2008.
    True, I can understand why on the iPhone since with out a contract that phone is 600+ and most insurance company would want too high of a deductible in order to get a replacement, with iPhone, you can get Apple Care which will handle any warranty claims on the phone which will be cheaper especially for replacements!

I don't care about insurance too much because in my experience with replacement phones are crappy refurbished.. 5 years ago I went through 3 Nokia replacements.. Then this year 2 crappy replacements on my Curve *8300* but this latest 8310 is rock solid! For the bold, I prefer to have insurance since I will be paying 3 - 500, with out a contract!

Charlie
    08-01-08 02:56 PM
    True, I can understand why on the iPhone since with out a contract that phone is 600+ and most insurance company would want too high of a deductible in order to get a replacement, with iPhone, you can get Apple Care which will handle any warranty claims on the phone which will be cheaper especially for replacements!

I don't care about insurance too much because in my experience with replacement phones are crappy refurbished.. 5 years ago I went through 3 Nokia replacements.. Then this year 2 crappy replacements on my Curve *8300* but this latest 8310 is rock solid! For the bold, I prefer to have insurance since I will be paying 3 - 500, with out a contract!

Charlie
    You know the whole thing makes me upset. I guess if you have my carrier and you bought a "smartphones" before that date, then you're SOL.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-08 09:30 PM
    I find that to be rather stupid, I mean it isn't as if the insurance was offered and you declined it. AT&T should have let existing customers get the insurance within 30 days of offering that, that takes care of the long term problem (I suspect the reason for the initial 30 day limitation) without screwing over older customers. I wonder what these guys think sometimes....

I bought my Curve at BJs so I got their warranty, plus I got the Asurion insurance and they told me it extends my 1 year warranty to 2 years, then it also has the catch all replacement at $50, I wasn't aware of any restrictions on how many times a year I could use it, but since the BB was a birthday gift for me my parents took care of all that and may have just not mentioned it.
    08-02-08 10:55 AM
    I don't ussually buy insurance plans or "extended warranties"...However...

I got my phone insured w/ verizon , which also uses Asurion. It's costing me $5.99mo but covers EVERYTHING. I get two phone replacements per year at $50 deductable. Everything is covered, including accessories. Everything is shipped NEXT DAY. Also covers me in case of water damange.

These plans vary. Most carriers use Asurian, but they choose different options. So, check the conditions before you make a decision. For example, sprint doesn't cover water damage.

I'm on my second phone. So far I paid $50 and received a brand new 8830, all the original accessories, and my media card too!

To see T-mobile's insurance terms, go to this link and click on the Brochure picture: Welcome To T-Mobile Equipment Protection
    Lucky you, i just checked the info from the website you provided, and it tells me i have to pay $110 for the deductible. *sigh i guess its alot cheaper than buying a brand new one lol. so i take it everyone sticks with asurion here.
    08-02-08 11:32 AM
    I stopped taking the insurance through VZW when they refused to fix an old v60 that I used to have, which had constant probems with the antenna breaking. It seemed that every time I had a problem with a phone, it was something that "wasn't covered" under the insurance through Assurion

My Palm Treo was actually purchased on e-bay so I ended up actually getting a warranty through SquareTrade (can't post the link, I haven't hit 10 posts yet, lol!). They were actually pretty awesome - I got a 2 year warranty on the Treo for about 20 bucks.

Turns out, they do new purchases also, so when I got my BB Pearl, I checked out the site, and sure enough - 3 year warranty (because the item was new) for $24! whoohoo.

I've never had to use it yet, but basically from what I have been told - the warranty covers accidental physical damage to the device. Down side is that you do have to send the phone out to be checked/serviced, however if they deem that it was not intentional, and they cannot fix the device, they will cut you a check for what you paid for the device.

IMO, pretty good set-up to me! I'm overly careful with my phones, so I probably wouldn't need it, but at least the piece of mind is there.
    08-02-08 01:59 PM
    <Putting down my soapbox>

Well, I just spoke with AT&T <-- not a happy camper.

I bought my bb in March. I was told then that they don't do insurance on bbs and the best I could do is through homeowner's insurance. So, I accepted that and thought I'd be extra, special careful with my expensive toy. Well, then I came to this thread. I see where dozens of you are talking about insurance with Asurion so I called AT&T again.. "Oh yes, we insure through that carrier. BUT.. YOU AREN'T ELIGIBLE". Because it's a new deal with AT&T and the phone has to be insured within 30 days of purchase or upgrade. WTF They should make some kind of provision for their consumers that have invested in an expensive phone -- not to mention the data plan. Yeah -- WooHoo, you're taking care of the purchases post late June/early July, but what about all of us who have purchased prior.. WHAT??!!! We get no love... we're left flapping in the wind, holding our data plans, "we're sorry, but you got your phones too early".. So sad, too bad!!!

MAN!!! Don't get me started -- (too late, I know).

<Picking up my soapbox> OK, I'm done.
    I can't tell you how many times I have been totally aggravated and frustrated with CS reps who don't know the right answers, or every time you call they have a different answer!

Sorry this happened to you.
    08-02-08 10:15 PM
    I have my insured. $4.99 per month Asurion through Verizon.

It's worth the peace of mind because I am a klutz and I do really stupid stuff sometimes... like throw my keys away and a new minivan key cost me $165.00.

If I do something totally dumb with my BB then the mistake is just $50.00.
    08-02-08 10:22 PM
    My Curve is insured.
    08-02-08 10:28 PM
    I've used assurian 3 or 4 times and each time got a new phone,in original box with acc. the next day
    08-02-08 10:36 PM
    I do not, procrastinated too long, but could repair if need be.. and I do have a small horror story. I had an AT&T customer call in (at work) and said they had 3rd party insurance and it took two weeks to get a replacement, then it got lost, and will take another two weeks to get another phone.

Asurion can almost over night it.
    08-03-08 12:55 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD