Sometimes I feel like BlackBerry is the old man in that infamous scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail:

BlackBerry is still alive and actually getting better and so many people in and out of technology circles keep saying "no you're not, you'll be stone dead in a moment".

Any thoughts as to why this is? Is it that they have been predicting BlackBerry's demise for so long that they don't want to be proven wrong? Is it simply popular and fashionable to bash BlackBerry?

I'm hoping the scenario plays out differently for BlackBerry than it did for the poor old man in the movie. I'm envisioning the old man going all Chuck Norris on the guys and giving them roundhouse kicks to the face.
    NotGoodIMO and ZedMacahan like this.
    08-29-14 08:17 AM
    Bashing BlackBerry lets others feel like their opinions are useful, relevant, and current. Denial is a beautiful thing for those people. They could accuse us that we're in denial of supporting a sinking ship, but I won't write BlackBerry off until they're literally gone.

People will believe whatever they're going to believe. Apple and Android people are so entrenched in their idea that what they have is the best, it's almost like walking into an argument between democrats and republicans, and being the avid libertarian in the bunch. You won't convince either side but they'll try their hardest to make you feel irrelevant.

The only thing that actually gets under my skin is poor representation of BlackBerry by the media - whether technical media or just regular news sites that have even less of a clue. Hopefully BlackBerry factcheck can help with that as intended.

Richard
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    08-29-14 08:58 AM
    Bashing BlackBerry makes a lot of morons feel good about themselves. They are on the "winning" side, you know ...
    Last edited by serbanescu; 08-29-14 at 10:51 AM.
    LoneStarRed and theRock1975 like this.
    08-29-14 09:01 AM
    Opinions are like a fart in a crowd. Not because you have one in your means you need to let it out. This is what I think about the media's opinion on BlackBerry. They should speak only when they feel that their words are better than their silence... My $0.02 on opinions...
    08-29-14 09:04 AM
    Bashing BlackBerry lets others feel like their opinions are useful, relevant, and current. Denial is a beautiful thing for those people. They could accuse us that we're in denial of supporting a sinking ship, but I won't write BlackBerry off until they're literally gone.

People will believe whatever they're going to believe. Apple and Android people are so entrenched in their idea that what they have is the best, it's almost like walking into an argument between democrats and republicans, and being the avid libertarian in the bunch. You won't convince either side but they'll try their hardest to make you feel irrelevant.

The only thing that actually gets under my skin is poor representation of BlackBerry by the media - whether technical media or just regular news sites that have even less of a clue. Hopefully BlackBerry factcheck can help with that as intended.

Richard
    I agree, the poor representation in the media certainly hasn't helped. I hope BlackBerry Fact Check helps with this, and I also hope they can start pushing some quality, targeted marketing efforts. Their marketing - and least via mainstream channels - has been virtually nonexistent.
    ZedMacahan likes this.
    08-29-14 10:47 AM
    And the comments here make people feel better about using a platform with a very low user base. See how we can turn things around to suit us?

Me, I use what I want and don't find it necessary to explain myself nor knock others. I don't understand why some people let it get to them so much. It's a smartphone, not a real person.

Q10, N5, N10.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    08-29-14 01:20 PM
    And the comments here make people feel better about using a platform with a very low user base. See how we can turn things around to suit us?

Me, I use what I want and don't find it necessary to explain myself nor knock others. I don't understand why some people let it get to them so much. It's a smartphone, not a real person.

Q10, N5, N10.
    Surely you can acknowledge that the amount of negativity devoted to BlackBerry is disproportionate to the other platforms. It's pretty obvious to anyone paying attention.

This isn't an attempt to make ourselves feel better about using an unpopular platform - obviously, if we are using ANY smartphone it is because we have chosen to do so. I think it's safe to say that most of us still using a BlackBerry today don't see smartphones as a popularity contest.

Rather, it's an attempt to understand and explain why there is such widespread bashing of BlackBerry and declarations that they are a "dead company", despite the facts that they are indeed showing encouraging signs of life and are projected to become profitable by the beginning of the next fiscal year.

What are your thoughts on this?
    08-29-14 01:34 PM
    I think it's safe to say that most of us still using a BlackBerry today don't see smartphones as a popularity contest.
    This times about 1,000.

Richard
    08-29-14 01:37 PM
    This is the ugly truth of what bashing really looks like
    08-29-14 03:13 PM
    And now for something completely different...

A Passport that is actually a phone
    menshawy likes this.
    08-29-14 04:10 PM
    I joined ship late. But I saw that I was dealing with the best phone OS out there. Plus I wouldn't like seeing a big name I always seen before fading away because the world is full of sh*t and not right

Posted via CB10
    08-29-14 04:22 PM
    As to why people portray Blackberry being dead, well, they couldn't even sell themselves a year ago. Also, with 2 big players having the majority of the market saturated with their devices, it would be tough for a small player to gain a foothold.
    As far as my own personal experience with BB10, it wasn't great. I had 2 devices malfunction within months of each other.
    Do I hope Blackberry gets it together? Absolutely! The more choice in the marketplace, the better!! It also means that there is a greater chance of new ideas making the mainstream.
    So, quite possibly, if someone says something negative about Blackberry, it is within the realms of possibility that it is through first hand experience.
    Oh... And just for full disclosure, I have been using my iPhone the same way as I used my Z10's. And I do miss some things about my Z10s. But I don't miss the feeling of having them quit suddenly rendering them useless.
    08-29-14 04:32 PM
    In all fairness, BlackBerry are struggling. Even Chen compared them to a critically ill patient.
    08-29-14 04:34 PM
    As to why people portray Blackberry being dead, well, they couldn't even sell themselves a year ago. Also, with 2 big players having the majority of the market saturated with their devices, it would be tough for a small player to gain a foothold.
    As far as my own personal experience with BB10, it wasn't great. I had 2 devices malfunction within months of each other.
    Do I hope Blackberry gets it together? Absolutely! The more choice in the marketplace, the better!! It also means that there is a greater chance of new ideas making the mainstream.
    So, quite possibly, if someone says something negative about Blackberry, it is within the realms of possibility that it is through first hand experience.
    Oh... And just for full disclosure, I have been using my iPhone the same way as I used my Z10's. And I do miss some things about my Z10s. But I don't miss the feeling of having them quit suddenly rendering them useless.
    The old story that they couldn't sell themselves is NOT true there were very interested parties, however the Government wasn't going to give the approval for BlackBerry to be sold to a foreign interest due to security reasons. BlackBerry is actually more important than you think for Government use. BlackBerry isn't going to be broken up and sold off either if that is the hope. The most that is going to happen is if the consumer side doesn't show profitability it will be closed, HOWEVER they will still manufacture devices for Government and Corporate, they bought Secursmart for this reason, beefing up of security for those entities. Its going to be the consumer who will be relegated to the likes of Android and IOS, Windows, for all I know it could be just the way the powers that be would like it. As for malfunctioning devices it happens to ALL devices, my IPhone 5 S has been replaced twice, same problem, just living with it. Good Luck with your choice.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-14 04:41 PM
    I'm not sure how that can be the case, considering they haven't sold enough BB10 devices for most people to have had a first-hand experience.
    08-29-14 04:42 PM
    Surely you can acknowledge that the amount of negativity devoted to BlackBerry is disproportionate to the other platforms. It's pretty obvious to anyone paying attention.

This isn't an attempt to make ourselves feel better about using an unpopular platform - obviously, if we are using ANY smartphone it is because we have chosen to do so. I think it's safe to say that most of us still using a BlackBerry today don't see smartphones as a popularity contest.

Rather, it's an attempt to understand and explain why there is such widespread bashing of BlackBerry and declarations that they are a "dead company", despite the facts that they are indeed showing encouraging signs of life and are projected to become profitable by the beginning of the next fiscal year.

What are your thoughts on this?
    My thoughts are that there are just as many posts on here bringing up the negative comments as there are negative comments. Why? IF you are really happy using what you use then it shouldn't bother you. You should understand that it will take time for Blackberry to make a comeback, if they can, and be patient. That's all. (by you I mean others, not you).

Proudly using a Blackberry Q10!
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    08-29-14 04:45 PM
    I'm not sure how that can be the case, considering they haven't sold enough BB10 devices for most people to have had a first-hand experience.
    I think they mean first hand experience with BBOS, the Playbook, the Z10 launch, etc. It did put a bitter taste in a lot of mouths.

08-29-14 04:47 PM

It's proportionate to their performance. Someone also priced here a while back that BBRY doesn't even get the most negative press; I think most would be surprised what entity does.

I understand that these points won't be well received.

BBRY made moves that put it in the place it is. It itself acknowledges this. Deserved criticism could NEVER dilute my enjoyment of BBRY products, so I guess I don't get the constant consternation
    08-29-14 05:02 PM
    My thoughts are that there are just as many posts on here bringing up the negative comments as there are negative comments. Why? IF you are really happy using what you use then it shouldn't bother you. You should understand that it will take time for Blackberry to make a comeback, if they can, and be patient. That's all. (by you I mean others, not you).

Why? Because there is a disproportionate amount of negativity towards BlackBerry and people notice it and want to know why. That's all.
    08-29-14 05:04 PM
    Why? Because there is a disproportionate amount of negativity towards BlackBerry and people notice it and want to know why. That's all.
    I think we see what we want to see. There is lots of negative press against Apple too.

08-29-14 05:08 PM
    In all fairness, BlackBerry are struggling. Even Chen compared them to a critically ill patient.
    And because the CEO is able to self-evaluate with such honesty, the company has a chance.

Hindsight is always 20/20, and I'd love to claim I could have done a better job, but hey... It is what it is.

BTW, fans of each platform all think their particular platform is picked on the most. Seriously. It's somewhat funny, but check out the other portals.
    TgeekB likes this.
    08-29-14 05:09 PM
    I think we see what we want to see. There is lots of negative press against Apple too.

Completely agree.

Even Palm/WebOS folks STILL complain about unfair media bashing.
    08-29-14 05:11 PM
    It's not just the media. It's popular perception. Android and iOS fanboys are always at odds, but they usually have no problem uniting to bash BlackBerry.
    08-29-14 05:13 PM
    It's not just the media. It's popular perception. Android and iOS fanboys are always at odds, but they usually have no problem uniting to bash BlackBerry.
    Android fans are generally too busy attacking each other LOL.

You want to see viciousness? Put HTC users and Samsung users in the same room.
    08-29-14 05:17 PM
    I have a Nexus 5 so spend time on Android Central. I don't see people talking about BlackBerry at all. Again, I think it's a perception that makes it seem worse than it is. No sense getting upset over it. I enjoy my Q10 and that's all that matters!

Q10, N5, N10.
    08-29-14 05:21 PM
26 12