Is there a way to tell if your IM's are being monitored?
    10-21-09 06:00 PM
    if its on BES, it probably is.. i wouldnt doubt it at least..
    10-21-09 06:03 PM
    Are you referring to BBM? What do you mean by monitored? Like, a third party app is "recording" your convos secretly? Most likely, Big Brother is not watching you.
    10-21-09 06:03 PM
    i mean, i have a blackberry thru work. It has BBIM and I use it for pretty innocuous stuff with people I work with.

But is there a way that someone could get access to those? Not so much the IT people but someone with a freind in the IT group?

Is there a way that i could tell if this is happening via a setting on my bb or something.

thanks for the responses
    10-21-09 06:33 PM
    No way to tell that I know of. If it's on BES, the BES admin can monitor anything and everything. I don't know of any way to tell if they are doing that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-21-09 06:37 PM
    How about, if it's a work device, just be sure you're not doing anything that work wouldn't approve of
    10-21-09 07:31 PM
    start wearing your foil hat!!
    10-21-09 09:42 PM
    Get a personal bb, keep your life separated, worth the extra $$$

10-21-09 10:39 PM
    If it's owned by the company then everything is being logged
    10-21-09 11:56 PM
    If it's owned by the company then everything is being logged
    NO!! Everything CAN be logged. Not every company goes all out with respect
    to logging phone activity
    10-22-09 12:10 AM
    i mean, i have a blackberry thru work. It has BBIM and I use it for pretty innocuous stuff with people I work with.

But is there a way that someone could get access to those? Not so much the IT people but someone with a freind in the IT group?

Is there a way that i could tell if this is happening via a setting on my bb or something.

thanks for the responses
    BBM conversations can't be logged. You can set it to email the conversation when it's done, but you'd see that email in your sent folder.

Anyone in the IT group who would reveal the content of logs to a friend deserves to be fired. I log everything but it takes a writte request from HR, endorsed by the employee's direct supervisor stating the reason why it's needed before I'll release the contents of logs.
    10-22-09 07:26 AM
    BIS is almost certainly recorded but not monitored by anyone unless there is a need. It would be nave to think RIM would just let this slide.

All emails, IM's and just about everything else these days is recorded. I believe it's law in many places now, ISP's have to record it.

10-22-09 08:35 AM
    BBM conversations can't be logged. ... snip
    This is most likely inaccurate.

Read this.
    What does BES see; what can be tracked/logged? - Port3101.org : Your BES Connection
    10-22-09 11:04 AM
    I'm sorry but it is accurate.

BBM conversations cannot be logged in the same way that SMS and PIN messages are logged.

You can set a policy that will email the content of the conversation to a mailbox, but the messages do not end up on the BES in the log folder. It is also not completely transparent as the outgoing message will remain in the user's sent folder.
    10-22-09 03:03 PM

BBM conversations cannot be logged in the same way that SMS and PIN messages are logged.

You can set a policy that will email the content of the conversation to a mailbox, but the messages do not end up on the BES in the log folder. It is also not completely transparent as the outgoing message will remain in the user's sent folder.
    Are you running the latest BES software?
    10-22-09 03:13 PM

You can set a policy that will email the content of the conversation to a mailbox, but the messages do not end up on the BES in the log folder.
    Splitting hairs. The OP wants to know if it's possible for someone else to know what he sent. It is. Can he somehow tell if he's being monitored? Probably not, unless someone in the know tells him.
    10-23-09 02:27 AM
    I am self employed and don't understand BES at all lol not realy do I understand BIS either beside one is for a company and other is personal use. But why do companys want to track this stuff anyways? Give someone a phone then disable stuff? camera web ect. Why not just pay for a employes bill and let him take care of backing his own stuff up. Or have the employe pay for his own but this odd. Same thing with PCs if you don't trust your employes then maybe you shouldn't hire them I dnt know its just weird.

10-23-09 10:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD