I got my brand new 9900 yesterday. Branded T-Mobile, but unlocked.
    Did NOT use Backup/Restore or "Switch my Device" on Desktop.
    Did everything from scratch.
    Put my SIM in the device, battery, turned it on.
    It asked for my Blackberry ID and password - entered it and it took.
    Was then able to setup my e-mail accounts with no problem, used App World to download a whole bunch of my old apps from there, installed Google Sync and hooked in my contacts and calendar. Set up BB Protect, managed to back up to there and even utilized it to locate the device. No problems at all . . .
    Until this morning!!!!
    I get a message on the phone from the Protect app prompting me to login with my BB ID - but I got the message: Unable to login to your Blackberry ID account
    I went to BlackBerry Protect on my PC - and from there I am able to login with no problem at all. But not on the device.
    Not only do I keep getting this "Unable to login to your Blackberry ID account" when trying to get into BB Protect on the 9900, I also can't get into my e-mail settings (figured I would try to resend service books - no go), nor can I get into "My World" through "App World" - all of which I did successfully just 12 hours ago!!!!
    To be sure, I do have data access. e-mail flows, sync works - just keep getting pestered about the Blackberry ID login - and keep getting rejected - even though I succeed getting in on blackberry.com with the correct ID and password!!!
    I tried logging into my carriers BIS server (cellcom.blackberry.com) - and it too rejects my user ID!!!
    I called my carrier - and they verified that the PIN they see associated with my account is the 9900 I am using - and they see my username and password as I know it. I also verified with them that they are using BIS 4.01.
    So what gives? What am I supposed to do? There is no way I am wiping this and starting from scratch - and even if I do - who is to say it won't happen all over again?
    And the only somewhat related comment from RIM was this from the Knowledge Base:
    "Unable to login to your BlackBerry ID account" or "Unable to update your BlackBerry ID account information" error occurs on a BlackBerry smartphone running BlackBerry 7
    Please, someone, help me out here????
    11-15-11 11:38 AM
    No one has anything to say about this?
    Am I the only one with this problem?
    11-15-11 04:07 PM
    People with the 8530's and OS5 can not log in to Blackberry Protect. I wonder if this is a related problem with the web site?
    11-15-11 06:58 PM
    I was on the horn with my carrier(Verizon) about this issue. Verizon passed it on to tier 2. Tier 2 failed to make sense of why I could login to the BIS siten but could not log into the blackberry I'd site and appworld which used the same credentials. ?erizon escalated the call to Waterloo.RIM admitted they were converting the authentification servers and there were glitches.
    RIM ended wiping everyrthing clean on all my logins and starting over with my BBID. This took about 5 hours on the phone total. Alls fine now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-11 07:19 PM
    How does one contact RIM support in Waterloo?
    I'd also like them to reset my BBID and fix this darn thing once and for all!!!!!!!
    What is there no response from RIM?
    Help!!!!
    Please!!!!
    11-16-11 11:48 AM
    How does one contact RIM support in Waterloo?
    By contacting your carrier and have them troubleshoot the issue.
    What is there no response from RIM?
    Because you haven't contacted your carrier and had them troubleshoot the issue.
    11-16-11 12:45 PM
    I did contact my carrier - Cellcom in Israel - and they had no idea what I was talking about with the BBID. That is because there aren't any OS7 devices sold by the Israeli carriers yet. Hence, they have no knowledge of understanding of BBID requirement.

So, I ask again, how do I contact RIM?
    11-16-11 01:27 PM
    If your carrier sell Blackberry they would know how to contact them to help you. Just go into your carrier & have them call Blackberry to get your issue fix.
    11-16-11 01:35 PM
    I did contact my carrier - Cellcom in Israel - and they had no idea what I was talking about with the BBID. That is because there aren't any OS7 devices sold by the Israeli carriers yet. Hence, they have no knowledge of understanding of BBID requirement.
    BBID is required for AppWorld on OS5 and 6. It is not just an OS7 requirement.

So, I ask again, how do I contact RIM?
    The only way to contact RIM is via your carrier. They pay for the support, therefore you must go through them.
    11-16-11 08:09 PM
    I believe one may get support directly from RIM but, you will have to get your credit card out and then open a ticket. This will not be cheap.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    11-16-11 08:53 PM
    Well folks, I caved in and went for the factory reset . . .
    I did it from my PC and then proceeded to start the whole setup process from scratch. So far everything is working fine, except that it wasted about 3 hours of my time.
    The real test will be in 24 hours, if everything still works properly (last time, it worked for the first few hours and then the problems began).

A thought I had: It could be that this problem is specific to devices that get unlocked by a re-seller and then get sold to end users. The re-seller (at least in my case) had to start-up the phone and enter some kind of BBID in order to be able to unlock the phone (the first thing the BB using OS7 asks you for when starting up for the first time is your BBID). Then it seems that once the phone gets logged in with a BBID, for some reason (definetly a bug IMHO) it doesn't allow a user to change the BBID on that particular device without first wiping it or reseting to factory defaults. That means if you change your BBID, for whatever reason, you are screwed. If you sell your device, or give it to your wife/kid/friend or to a co-worker, you are screwed (although in this case you'd probably wipe it first anyway). Thus, anybody who buys an unlocked OS7 device should first make sure its reset to factory state before getting started.

Seems to me like a serious bug that RIM needs to deal with.
    11-17-11 11:20 AM
    Quick update:
    Everything on the device is still working - including BB Protect.
    The crazy thing now is that in the BB Protect App on the BB, I can see my backups, etc. But on the BB Protect website (protect.blackberry.com) my account (same as on the BB) does not show my device. Not the PIN, not the model and not the data. But the BB does!
    What gives?
    11-17-11 05:34 PM
    Quick update:
    Everything on the device is still working - including BB Protect.
    The crazy thing now is that in the BB Protect App on the BB, I can see my backups, etc. But on the BB Protect website (protect.blackberry.com) my account (same as on the BB) does not show my device. Not the PIN, not the model and not the data. But the BB does!
    What gives?
    Well it seems to everyone that you started off so intense about a problem that many people have and it takes a simple search of CB.com to find your answer from others like you that have had this situation. If more people would search for the answer before posting such a long first post then you would not have been so impatient about nobody answering you.

Here is the protocol by the way and also OS 7 has nothing to do with BBID as this was put into place before OS 7 came out with their new devices.

In order to get proper tech support you have to contact your carrier whic no matter who or where they are, they have carrier IDs that they use so if they cannot assist you and you are adiment enough to get help, then you can ask them flat out to escalate this problem to RIM using their carrier ID and they will and you don't have to pay, it is that simple.

As far as BB protect use the search option because that is why it was placed there and search for your answer and if you cannot find it, You may want to contact BB Protect support via email and see what they have to say through their portal or website where your acct is. Good luck
    11-17-11 07:07 PM
    I think your conclusion is incorrect.
    I spent hours upon hours searching CB and the BB support forums for support with these issues - and the answers are not apparent or readily available. And if, by chance, there is something I am missing which you have found or are aware of, consider that you could have simply posted the link or information in the same amount of time that it took you to complain about my supposed violation of protocol.

As for the BBID in OS6: Only in OS7 does the BB require you to enter a BBID in order to setup your device altogether. That was not the case with OS6. I have a 9700 on OS6 and the only time I was asked for a BBID was using "Protect" or "App World" - not for anything else on the device.

As for RIM support through my carrier: I spoke to several tech people and customer service people at Cellcom. I also went down to a service center. I was adamant and a royal pain. They told me the following:
    - They have never passed a tech issue for a customer to RIM. Period.
    - As far as they are concerned, if I get my e-mails and can surf the web using my Berry on their network, then there is no issue. BBID is "not their problem" and I can contact RIM directly - but they didn't know or want to tell me how exactly or whom exactly to contact at RIM.
    Last edited by Gehangin; 11-19-11 at 11:17 AM.
    11-19-11 10:44 AM
    Well if you are having authenication issues with a RIM server(s) I guess you are out of luck with your carrier. I don't believe that any carrier has any ability to make changes with these servers.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    11-19-11 11:20 AM
    I also posted, confused about BBID. I did a search for Blackberry ID and it brings up posts whose titles suggest nothing to with it. So I agree it makes sense to search first, but sometimes the search engine seems overly inclusive.
    11-19-11 12:20 PM
    I'm involved in the same situation. I'm able to surf the web, get mail nag so on. But unable to login my BBId from my 9900. My wife and son are able to do it from their 3gs and I don't know what to do.
    11-21-11 05:59 PM
    I'll tell my carrier (Vodafone) about that problem and will publish any new.
    11-21-11 06:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD