I purchased this bluetooth thinking "what a great idea, a Blackberry bluetooth for a Blackberry device".

Well, that depends.

I can use it in my patrol car great, not a problem.

But, once outside in the elements, STATIC, big time.

The Blackberry, an 8330 through Cellular South, and only two (2) feet (or less, attatched to my belt) away from the phone.

I went into options -> bluetooth -> highlighted the device -> menu button -> device properties -> encryption (disabled).

I then tried various settings using the echo feature (auto, on off).

In a building or car, it works great, within one and a half (1 1/2) feet away (in the car) fifteen (15) feet away (in the building).

I don't understand why there is so much static in the elements.

If anyone else has this problem, or knows of a fix, where or how can I find it.

Am I the only one that has this issue, or do others have the same problems.

Are there settings that I am missing or could change that would fix it.

Thanks

msblueline

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-09 06:45 PM
    The same problem as you actually. It works great inside, not so much outside.
    03-14-09 06:46 PM
    Blue, the problems you're having can occur with any number of BT headsets. IMHO, there is no such thing as best; just better than- so it would seem that the headset you have, nothing but replacing it with something better is going to solve your issues.

Also, many "branded" headsets are somebody else's junk with a different companies name on it.

RIM BT headeset (HS-655 plus) looks exactly like the Plantronics Voyager 855; hence Plantronics headset with RIM's name on it- companies also do that all the time.
    03-16-09 02:54 AM
    Same boat as you, accept for mine is a plantronics 360 which was recomended as the best for the blackberry by my sprint store. I have static inside and outside if the phone is in my pocket or over 1.5 feet away bluetooth is pure static. Tried new BT ,tried battery pull, repairing, even as far as keeping phone in shirt pocket, after all is said and done still statlic. Anyone with a fix out there ???
    03-16-09 12:57 PM
    Same boat as you, accept for mine is a plantronics 360 which was recomended as the best for the blackberry by my sprint store. I have static inside and outside if the phone is in my pocket or over 1.5 feet away bluetooth is pure static. Tried new BT ,tried battery pull, repairing, even as far as keeping phone in shirt pocket, after all is said and done still statlic. Anyone with a fix out there ???
    There is no "fix" for it. You need to try a different headset. The fix, if thats what you choose to call it, boils down to trial and error. The headset thats best for one person is garbage to the other.
    03-16-09 01:58 PM
    OK, I got rid of my HS-655 plus Blackberry Bluetooth.

I was given (by the rep) a Z9i BlueAnt.

I will try it. I will post back with my results.

Thanks for your help

msblueline
    03-16-09 05:55 PM

Thanks for your help

msblueline
    Blue, I'm using the Z9 which is great. I imagine the Z9i should better just as good if not better. I can count on one hand the number of times I've had static and I've been using this one for 7-8 months; maybe longer.

The only thing I don't like about it is the short talk time. Constantly have to keep it charged. Cant wait to hear what you think of it.
    03-16-09 06:38 PM
    What is the total talk time on the Z9.

The Z9i has a talk time up to 5.5 hours.

200 hrs standby time.

Up to 10 meters RF coverage

Just a quick reference for compair with the Z9i.

msblueline

03-16-09 06:55 PM
    What is the total talk time on the Z9.

The Z9i has a talk time up to 5.5 hours.

200 hrs standby time.

Up to 10 meters RF coverage

Just a quick reference for compair with the Z9i.

msblueline

Both are the same but when using mine, I feel that it doesn't live up to the 5.5 of talk time or the 200 hrs of standby.
    03-16-09 07:00 PM

Thanks for your help

msblueline
    I have the BlueAnt as well. I prefer it to most of the other ones I have tried.
    03-16-09 07:03 PM
    Both are the same but when using mine, I feel that it doesn't live up to the 5.5 of talk time or the 200 hrs of standby.
    It definitely does not live up to that. Lies, all lies.
    03-16-09 07:03 PM
    That's another problem I had with the HS-655 Blackberry Bluetooth.

I could only get about 1 1/2 hours of talk time before it died.

I am going to check everything from top to bottom on the Z9i.

I will also check the noise reduction.

HS-655 had NONE. Everything could be heard. My siren, radio, wind. When I had the Jawbone II (I lost it ) nobody could hardly hear the siren or radio. With the HS-655 they could hear everything.

I will check that with the BlueAnt Z9i.

Almost completely charged.

Will check back later.

msblueline

Last edited by msbluelline; 03-16-09 at 07:13 PM.
    03-16-09 07:09 PM
    That's another problem I had with the HS-655 Blackberry Bluetooth.
    I could only get about 1 1/2 hours of talk time before it died.
    I am going to check everything from top to bottom on the Z9i.
    I will also check the noise reduction.
    HS-655 had NONE. Everything could be heard. My siren, radio, wind. When I had the Jawbone II (I lost it ) nobody could hardly hear the siren or radio. With the HS-655 they could hear everything.
    I will check that with the BlueAnt Z9i.
    Almost completely charged.
    Will check back later.
    msblueline

I'm surprised you didn't just replace the J2 with another one. I think the Z9's noise cancellation is so-so. In cutting out background noise, it often cuts me out too. I'll be talking and the other person will be saying.."you there?"
    03-16-09 08:13 PM
    I have the BlueAnt as well. I prefer it to most of the other ones I have tried.
    CBK, have you used the J2? If so, how does it compare to the Z9?
    03-16-09 08:15 PM
    CBK, have you used the J2? If so, how does it compare to the Z9?
    Much better in my opinion. I use the J2 most of the time and the BlueAnt and Plantronics ones are my backups.
    03-16-09 08:18 PM
    Much better in my opinion. I use the J2 most of the time and the BlueAnt and Plantronics ones are my backups.
    I've considered getting the J2. I had the original and my results were atrocious. I was reading so many post in which it got rave reviews. I just wasnt feeling it- from the fit to performance.
    03-16-09 08:21 PM
    I've considered getting the J2. I had the original and my results were atrocious. I was reading so many post in which it got rave reviews. I just wasnt feeling it- from the fit to performance.

The J2 not too bad. They all bite really, but one bites less than the other I suppose.
    03-16-09 08:31 PM
    The J2 not too bad. They all bite really, but one bites less than the other I suppose.
    I feel you there. The perfect BT headset for me would consist on 12 hrs talk time, no static, noise reduction that works flawlessly. So far, I havent found that headset- but I have to say that the Sony PS3 headset comes awfully close to very very good!
    03-16-09 08:35 PM
    Compared to the HS-655 Plus, AWSOME!!!

Score 1 * (horrible) to 5 ***** (great).

Overall Score: ****. UNDER NORMAL CONDITIONS

Only used in normal conditions at this time (off work until Wednesday)

Sitting in the front room (den), with the TV on, medium volume, 7ft (2 1/3 Meters) away from TV *****.

I called my dad, he said I sounded clear, no static. He siad he could hear the TV (normal mode).

The TV sounded like it was in the other room (voice isolation to max).

Outside in the elements *** 1/2. (Phone is in open view).

Outside in the element ***. (Clipped to belt in holster, covered with shirt).

(When I put my phone {Blackberry 8330, Cellular South} on my belt in the holster [OtterBox] there is static.) I clipped it to my jeans pocket and could hear without static.

I don't see how covering the phone with a shirt (clipped to belt) would give static.

Distance *****.

Open view, normal circumstances.

User manual and instructions *****.

Excellent instructions, awsome with a wallet pocket guide (Attached). 3 Languages.

Upgrades *****.

connect to BlueAnt.com.

msblueline
    03-17-09 02:07 AM
    I'm surprised you didn't just replace the J2 with another one. I think the Z9's noise cancellation is so-so. In cutting out background noise, it often cuts me out too. I'll be talking and the other person will be saying.."you there?"
    I would have, but, I thought I might be able to find it. Plus, I want to experiment with other bluetooth headsets.

From what I have used, the J2 is probably the best bluetooth I have ever used.

I didn't want to purchase another J2 bluetooth and wind up finding the lost one.

If I ever find my J2, I will switch to it and use the BlueAnt as a backup. I have never had static with the J2.

I may even purchase another one later down the road... Maybe!

msblueline
    03-17-09 02:14 AM
    I'm cracking up at your lil note in your signature. Initially when I responded to your thread, I almost said Ms (as in the female persuasion) and it hit me- Mississippi & Blue line I think was for police. Thats when just just became Blue.

OK, back on topic- with 95% of BT headset, the slightest thing can cause interference. It's always recommended to wear both the phone & headset on the same side of the body. Even some carrying cases can cause the headset to perform poorly.
    03-17-09 03:56 AM
    I'm cracking up at your lil note in your signature. Initially when I responded to your thread, I almost said Ms (as in the female persuasion) and it hit me- Mississippi & Blue line I think was for police. Thats when just just became Blue.

OK, back on topic- with 95% of BT headset, the slightest thing can cause interference. It's always recommended to wear both the phone & headset on the same side of the body. Even some carrying cases can cause the headset to perform poorly.
    I had to put that in my signature because I would get so many BBM messages from all kinds of wierd people. I almost felt as if I was being stalked on my Blackberry... wierd!

Everytime someone sent me a message, it was a "guy" talking to a female. My first message in response to them is I am a male and ms stands for Mississippi.

Yes, it is law enforcement.

Ok, my turn, back on topic,

Usually in uniform my Blackberry is pretty much in the front (just off center) on my pistol belt.

I receive LOTS of static with the HS-655 plus Blackberry.

I will have to say that, so far, this BlueAnt is by far SUPERIOR to the HS-655 plus Blackberry.

OK, using the BlueAnt Z9i today, I will have to change my score for the "out in the elements".

I went to the firing range at the police department, while outside it was perfect. I DID NOT try it while shooting (safety reasons, of course). But outside, clipped to the belt (same side) it was awsome. I will have to say **** 1/2.

I think that being close to alot, I mean ALOT of power lines has interference with the headset too.

On the edge of my property there is a utility pole with a transformer, and probably enough juice to cover 20-30 houses on my street. I think the energy given off by those lines interferes with the device too.

If you happen to be out and about, see if you get more interference close to or far away from power lines.

Standing next to my patrol car with the radio on also might give interference from the radio waves coming to and going from the radio antenna.

Even with these (maybe not so newly noticed possible interferences) The BlueAnt is WOW! compared to the HS-655 plus Blackberry headset.

So, I will say that carrying the device and bluetooth same side is a PLUS.

But, why would it be such a burden if it has a 10 meter (30 ft) distance. I mean we're talking inches here. To go from the left side to the right side to get a more clear reception. But, I guess it I look at it like rabbit ears on a TV, hudreths of an inch can make a difference from a clear picture to a fuzzy picture.

Biggest thing to remeber on any device to me is this... The bluetooth in not nor was it ever intended to replace the phone. I mean, the biggest thing I want is for it to work, especially 2 ft away coverd with a shirt.

I cannot leave my phone in the car and walk into the mall thinking that I can go where I please and get good reception.

All in all for Normal operations I give this BlueAnt Z9i an "A" on its report card.

I do return to work tomorrow.

I will put it to the test while I am removing all the unsafe drivers off the streets. (I am A DUI Enforcement Officer) so I will put it through the test.

(Just a quick public service tip, it is said in statistics that talking on the phone is by far worse than a drunk driver on the road) Use a bluetooth or handsfree device while talking... By all means, DO NOT SEND EMAILS while driving.

In the car, out of the car, in the station, out of the station. next to the radio away form the radio. Length of use from start to finish, battery times and more.

msblueline
    Last edited by msbluelline; 03-18-09 at 01:45 AM.
    03-18-09 01:43 AM
    Blue, delighted it's working out for you. Once you're out in the street, I think you'll notice a bit of performance decrease. Some BT headsets are simply horrible when taken out of their quiet environment.

I don't limit myself to one headset though. When I am home, I'm either on the Z9 or Motorola T305 which is a BT speaker. I also use this one quite a bit when I'm in the car.

I cant stand riding along with the windows down and not being able to hear a thing- thats a drawback of the Z9(i).

As far as power lines- I guess I am blessed not to live near any that would cause both my phone and headset to not play nicely together.
    03-18-09 02:11 AM
    I am going to try and see how far I can get with the battery test tomorrow.

Talking to someone for 5.5 hours is just, well, someone doesn't have a life, especially if I am at work. I might can make it for 2 - 2 1/2 hours... but not 5.5 hrs.

I will have to purchase a mobile charger. I want to know what I have before I spend more money on it.

As mentioned in one of my threads, the BlueAnt has upgrades available online. There might be fixes for some of the problems too. For BlueAnt to even post updates/upgrades means they have some kind of caring for their device. I was even happy to see the manual they made for it.

If this goes well I will be happy, if not then I will just wait a while and purchase another J2.

The one thing that I didn't mention about the Z9i is that (and you know by having the Z9) is the size of the ear piece. I would like to have an even smaller earpiece for the Z9i.

I use the silver metal/black plastic molded ear hook. I haven't tried the clear plastic ear hook yet.

I think I am going to like the BlueAnt, so far.

msblueline
    03-18-09 02:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD