BBC News - Blackberry hits out at Gartner analysis

Blackberry has dismissed an influential recommendation that customers should move to other mobile technologies.

The embattled smartphone maker said that firms using its products did not need to switch.

Blackberry said conclusions drawn about the viability of its business plans were "purely speculative".

Analyst firm Gartner had based its recommendation on Blackberry's financial losses and planned redundancies.

Blackberry said the job losses were part of its strategy to focus on its core enterprise business.

"We recognise and respect external parties' opinions on Blackberry's recent news," the company said in a statement. "However, many of the conclusions by Gartner about the potential impact of a sale or other strategic alternatives, are purely speculative."
    Redundancies

Blackberry this month revealed that it would make half its workforce redundant by the end of the year, after losses of $950m (�588m) in the second quarter.

The struggling Canadian firm, which has been hit hard by declining handset sales, has agreed in principle to be bought by a private consortium led by investor Fairfax Financial.

Blackberry products are used by governments and large financial institutions around the world for secure communications.

Gartner, one of the world's major technology analyst firms, said in a report last week that Blackberry customers were becoming increasingly concerned about the company's prospects.

The technology consultancy said Blackberry's hardware group could be sold to a foreign government, "which may be unsettling for some clients".

Businesses have up to six months to make plans to switch from Blackberry to alternatives, Gartner said in its report.

Organisations should move completely away from Blackberry or phase out Blackberry handset use for everyone apart from executives, Gartner recommended.
    09-30-13 11:17 AM
    "The technology consultancy said Blackberry's hardware group could be sold to a foreign government, "which may be unsettling for some clients"."

Foreign government? Like that would ever be allowed to happen. And funny that Gartner thinks Apple and Google's privacy concerns are not unsettling. Just ridiculous.
    09-30-13 11:22 AM
    This sounds like a response that is generated purely by the PR department. It doesn't even have the obligatory quote from the CEO. It sounds like something generated without any input from upper management and doesn't directly address any concerns that their clients may have.

If I were a client reading this, I would think "Wow, apparently upper management didn't want to say anything and made the PR department put out something generic and completely non-comittal."
    Mack Gans likes this.
    09-30-13 11:26 AM
    Wait - Blackberry responded to something? Now that's news.
    09-30-13 11:31 AM
    BBRY needs to show them Statcounter numbers. I mean, some folks swear by them hear.

That'll show em...
    09-30-13 11:39 AM
    Blackberry said conclusions drawn about the viability of its business plans were "purely speculative".
    Oh, gee, really? And what future prediction isn't?

BB didn't even dare to deny the "speculated" possibilities outright; they merely stated that it was only speculation. Thank for that, BB; if not for this press release, we'd have believed that Gartner had a working crystal ball...
    09-30-13 02:26 PM
    Since when HAVEN'T American organizations been telling everyone to stop using BlackBerry?

There's nothing more American than APPLE pie.
    09-30-13 03:15 PM
    Since when HAVEN'T American organizations been telling everyone to stop using BlackBerry?

Check out the original post of this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...esults-854767/

Apparently, the American organizations intent on destroying BBRY are not as successful as their counterparts in other parts of the world.
    h20work likes this.
    09-30-13 03:20 PM
    Check out the original post of this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...esults-854767/

Apparently, the American organizations intent on destroying BBRY are not as successful as their counterparts in other parts of the world.
    No, it is the fact that Americans have so much cultural influence all over the world that has caused sales to drop. A very poisonous influence.
    09-30-13 03:22 PM
    No, it is the fact that Americans have so much cultural influence all over the world that has caused sales to drop. A very poisonous influence.
    Americans became sheep, and turned the rest of the world into sheep too?
    app_Developer likes this.
    09-30-13 03:24 PM
    We Americans are not iSheep, if you look at the history of Blackberry it was us Americans who bought them in the millions and made BB allot of money.

Don't blame us because BB has fell into complacently and lost their vision for the future of smartphone devices. Apple and Android have figured it out and delivered us what we ask for, the rest is history.

Sent using the CB app from my iPhone 5
    techvisor and Dmessenger like this.
    09-30-13 04:28 PM
    We Americans are not iSheep, if you look at the history of Blackberry it was us Americans who bought them in the millions and made BB allot of money.

Don't blame us because BB has fell into complacently and lost their vision for the future of smartphone devices. Apple and Android have figured it out and delivered us what we ask for, the rest is history.

LOL. I wasn't blaming anyone. I am trying to get clarification myself.
    09-30-13 04:40 PM
    .... if you look at the history of Blackberry it was us Americans who bought them in the millions and made BB allot of money. ...

In all fairness, Americans really didn't have a choice at that time. Just sayin'
    Last edited by lynxs_claw; 09-30-13 at 05:46 PM.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    09-30-13 04:45 PM

Don't speak for all Americans. Apple and android surely have not delivered what I've asked for.

Btw, I've heard most Americans asking for bigger screens... not fingerprint scanners.

Posted via CB10
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    09-30-13 04:51 PM
    There is a shocker. We ain't all that dang smart over here in the states. Too many examples to name.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-13 04:53 PM
    Don't speak for all Americans. Apple and android surely have not delivered what I've asked for.

Btw, I've heard most Americans asking for bigger screens... not fingerprint scanners.

Posted via CB10
    The fingerprint Scanner is for your own safety and convenience. NSA is thankful for every purchase *sarcasm*

BES came along in the bold fashioned way.

The future is set in the cloud and offering unified solutions instead of specific ones.
    BB10 OS has been a leap ahead of the curve, whereas Gartner is right with their report. I just do not agree with their warning, however they have been very cautious with every company that has not shown stellar footing.

Posted via CB10
    bradu1 likes this.
    09-30-13 04:58 PM
    This sounds like a response that is generated purely by the PR department. It doesn't even have the obligatory quote from the CEO. It sounds like something generated without any input from upper management and doesn't directly address any concerns that their clients may have.

If I were a client reading this, I would think "Wow, apparently upper management didn't want to say anything and made the PR department put out something generic and completely non-comittal."
    Top management in large companies doesn't take any notice of what PR people say or think, or of quotes (from CEO or others) in press statements. They have their own sources.
    09-30-13 05:05 PM
    They have marketing guys calling them and sending emails..... and harassing their staff XD I have been one of them.....

Top Management in companies is just like any other social group.... all my friends are using this.... so I will, too.....

Jokes aside. It is quite tough to get all the people involved to sign off on one product over the other... Many people's egos and agendas need to be satisfied which means that very often the product which delivers the best service for the specific use case for the best price will get the deal.

Simple as....

Posted via CB10
    09-30-13 05:06 PM
    There is a shocker. We ain't all that dang smart over here in the states. Too many examples to name.

Posted via CB10
    So Americans aren't smart be because they like like to use Android and IOS? To quote a famous former American athlete: You cannot be serious!
    10-01-13 01:30 AM
    So Americans aren't smart be because they like like to use Android and IOS? To quote a famous former American athlete: You cannot be serious!
    Who? Lance Armstrong?

10-01-13 02:43 AM

Posted via CB10
    And they can get bigger screens. Just not from Apple at this time. That's why brands exist with different feature sets.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 10-01-13 at 04:42 AM.
    10-01-13 04:23 AM

The above quote is proof of the old adage, it is better to remain quiet and be thought of as a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Posted via CB10 via my Z10
    10-01-13 12:11 PM
    Nope, my good friend John McEnroe:

10-01-13 12:16 PM