Touch screen - scroll touch type hide keyboard scroll touch type hide keyboard
    Keyboard - scroll type scroll type scroll type scroll type

See the difference?
    04-05-11 08:48 AM
    This was one of the things that annoyed me about the Storm2, picture this: you are on webpage/spreadsheet and you need to input on a field at the bottom of the screen, you touch it and the keyboard pops up and the field at the bottom is now up above the keyboard hiding the information above it that you could see before.
    I agree with this, and how much a p.i.t.a. it actually is. I have a tour for personal and a torch for company, and i have to say, i rarely use the torch's virtual keyboard. For instance, when i check my spam email through gmail's web based site, i have to touch in the username box, keyboard covers password box. then i must scroll up and show password box, touch, keyboard covers, "login" box. Then scroll up and click login.
    04-05-11 08:48 AM
    I'm not sure how your phone handles it but the other problem was as i said with the field being moved up, after you hide the keyboard the field doesn't go back to the bottom as it was before it was moved up. It was very annoying for me
    When hiding the keyboard, the screen goes back to the same way it was before typing. So if the field moves up, it moves back down when done. All of my device do this.

Touch screen - scroll touch type hide keyboard scroll touch type hide keyboard
    Keyboard - scroll type scroll type scroll type scroll type

See the difference?
    I see the difference. And that difference is hardly one, especially when the keyboard pops up and goes away instantly.
    04-05-11 08:58 AM
    I see the difference. And that difference is hardly one, especially when the keyboard pops up and goes away instantly.
    I disagree, it's double the steps compared to a physical qwerty blackberry.
    I tell you what, when you have to go back to correct a spelling/autocorrect mistake it gets even more annoying and ads even more steps, copy and paste is another one, not only selecting the text but also selecting copy and paste.

alt+scroll to select
    alt+trackpad to copy
    shift+trackpad to paste

Tell me your steps
    04-05-11 09:10 AM
    I bet your steps are:

Hold finger on screen
    Select select text option
    Scroll the other end to desired point
    Hold finger on screen
    Select copy
    Hold finger on screen
    Select paste

More then double the steps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-05-11 09:22 AM
    I use both a BB (work) and an Android device. At first, I thought the 4"screen was going to feel huge in comparison with my Tour. What I found was that it is not hard to adapt to either size.

On my Tour, I can type quickly with the physical keyboard, and really like how everything is integrated. Autotext is my friend, and as long as I remember all of the different shortcuts I've created, I can type things out pretty quickly.

On my SGS, the larger screen makes it much easier on my eyes for reading. The larger font sizes come in handy, and the extra screen space helps as well. I have no problem using Swype for typing, and can see plenty of screen in portrait mode. If I have to type a lot, I switch to landscape mode and use SwiftKey, which has predictive typing that is surprisingly accurate.

Personally, I would love to see the Torch come out on different carriers. I think the larger screen and physical keyboard would be a nice blend between the two. I'm really interested in sering the Monaco as well.

Neither is really better. It all has to do with personal experience and personal preference.
    04-05-11 10:15 AM
    I think 3.7-4 inch screen sizes are perfect but not one size fits all. Everyone has their own preference. BTW I already know where this thread is leading like everyother Android vs. BB.
    04-05-11 10:16 AM
    I disagree, it's double the steps compared to a physical qwerty blackberry.
    I tell you what, when you have to go back to correct a spelling/autocorrect mistake it gets even more annoying and ads even more steps, copy and paste is another one, not only selecting the text but also selecting copy and paste.

alt+scroll to select
    alt+trackpad to copy
    shift+trackpad to paste

Tell me your steps
    I bet your steps are:

Hold finger on screen
    Select select text option
    Scroll the other end to desired point
    Hold finger on screen
    Select copy
    Hold finger on screen
    Select paste

More then double the steps.

So you ask me to describe them, then you go ahead and list them thinking thats how I operate? Good job.

Auto correct does a really good job, I barely have to correct things.

And the process goes like this

double tap with two fingers surrounding the text
    select copy
    double tap selected area to paste
    paste

1 extra step that takes less than a second. But please, lets continue to argue over less time it takes to sneeze. I haven't heard of anyone losing millions for this extra step.
    04-05-11 10:23 AM
    I can see where both sides are coming from. I do like the bigger screen, but when it comes down to it, I'd rather have my blackberry keyboard than the large screen. The torch is nice as it kind of has the best of both worlds, but I still prefer the tour or bold keyboard to the torch keyboard. I think I'm going to have a tough decision to make between the bold touch and torch 2 when it's time for my upgrade. I have nothing against Androids or iPhones, it's just blackberry is my personal preference. I think it all depends what you like better.
    Ferretling likes this.
    04-05-11 10:38 AM
    So you ask me to describe them, then you go ahead and list them thinking thats how I operate? Good job.

Auto correct does a really good job, I barely have to correct things.

And the process goes like this

double tap with two fingers surrounding the text
    select copy
    double tap selected area to paste
    paste

1 extra step that takes less than a second. But please, lets continue to argue over less time it takes to sneeze. I haven't heard of anyone losing millions for this extra step.
    Lol, you left out a step or two, you still need to scroll unless you're amazingly accurate with your two fingers.

04-05-11 10:43 AM
    Lol, you left out a step or two, you still need to scroll unless you're amazingly accurate with your two fingers.

Just like you need to scroll with a trackpad/trackball. What's the difference?
    Last edited by Jared DiPane; 04-05-11 at 12:22 PM. Reason: language
    04-05-11 10:46 AM
    Just like you need to scroll with a trackpad/trackball. What the **** is the difference?
    Selecting and scrolling is just one step for me.

04-05-11 10:48 AM

Get over yourself! It's a phone.
    04-05-11 10:58 AM

You have to scroll to the desired point, then select/scroll the desired text and then copy it. I have to do the exact same thing. I press around the desired text, if it doesn't select exactly what I want, then I finish selecting the desired text. The difference is I don't need a trackball/pad to find the text I want to select. I just press around it with my finger. It's actually quicker. While you spend time scrolling with the trackball/pad to select the text, I just go right to it with my fingers.

The difference is less than 2 seconds if any. Absolutely not worth arguing about.
    04-05-11 11:01 AM
    I can't stand the enormous 4in screens and huge dimensions of android phones like the X and the evo. So out of all the complaints out there against blackberry, one thing I do have to give them is that they strike a perfect balance when it comes to size. Even the storm 2 with all its faults is perfect in size. Sure, as the tech advances, i would love to see more screen real estate within the given space, but as long as the over all size doesnt change, Blackberry will always have a thumbs up in that category.

Your view.....
    In complete agreement with you. I switched to Bold 9780 mostly due to size and its easiness on text based UI. Android particularly is getting humongous and it's not a phone any more. There are certain occasions when a larger screen has advantages such as browsing and map app particularly. In fact, I switch back to IP4 when I go out of town mainly for the full utilization of map. But then, it is not necessarily the issue of screen size alone. Lack of smooth zooming etc.
    Otherwise, the compactness of 9780 wins.
    In this regards, coming Bold Touch (is it really coming? :-) might be perfect, although it still looks a wee bit larger than my taste (I hate that big chin and wide grinning form factor).
    But the pinch & zoom function when only certain part of the screen must be magnified is all that is needed.
    04-05-11 11:02 AM
    So, you're actually trying to convince me that Android and iOS aren't bashed in here? OK. And 2.8 inches will not make for a positive touchscreen experience. Trust me.
    Is anyone bashing Android or iOS here now? No. Can you ever state the benefits you see in one device without tearing down another? No. There's the difference. The only one bashing anything right now is you.

Last edited by Jared DiPane; 04-05-11 at 12:23 PM. Reason: language
    04-05-11 11:14 AM
    I know Apple would never go there, but I wonder what the reception would be for an iPhone with a slideout keyboard?

Me, I love my berry (Bold 9650). For me, it does what it needs to do, and I just love the physical keyboard. I am intrigued by the upcoming Bold Touch. We'll see.
    04-05-11 11:16 AM
    You have to scroll to the desired point, then select/scroll the desired text and then copy it. I have to do the exact same thing. I press around the desired text, if it doesn't select exactly what I want, then I finish selecting the desired text. The difference is I don't need a trackball/pad to find the text I want to select. I just press around it with my finger. It's actually quicker. While you spend time scrolling with the trackball/pad to select the text, I just go right to it with my fingers.

The difference is less than 2 seconds if any. Absolutely not worth arguing about.
    Nobody said it's a huge difference, but it all ads up as they say. These are things that are better done with a physical keyboard, that was my point. For example your two finger way of selecting will not help much when you have to select larger amounts of texts that extend past what's shown on the screen.

04-05-11 11:31 AM
    I can cut and paste with one hand, by the way.

Sent screaming from my ThunderBolt at 4G speeds.
    Lol, what's your point? You think you can't do that on a blackberry? You can, you just have to no a few extra steps then usual.

FMB8900 likes this.
    04-05-11 11:40 AM
    As an owner of 5 previous Blackberry devices and current Droid X owner I will say this: While you are trying to cut and paste and your phone is lagging, freezing etc. I will be doing so seamlessly with no lag and very little effort. This assumes that you can cut and paste something from the net at all since my internet is always up and Blackberry tends to have outages. I'll take the extra step. And as with anything YMMV, these statements are based on my experiences.
    04-05-11 11:49 AM
    As an owner of 5 previous Blackberry devices and current Droid X owner I will say this: While you are trying to cut and paste and your phone is lagging, freezing etc. I will be doing so seamlessly with no lag and very little effort. This assumes that you can cut and paste something from the net at all since my internet is always up and Blackberry tends to have outages. I'll take the extra step. And as with anything YMMV, these statements are based on my experiences.
    You might've had 5 blackberrys but what was your last one? Anything from 9700 up does not lag.

04-05-11 11:51 AM
    All phones lag at times...even HTC, Samsung and Motorolla...shocking for sure.
    howarmat and Ferretling like this.
    04-05-11 12:05 PM
    Ok - we REALLY need to keep this ON TOPIC, and WITHOUT personal attacks.

If you don't have anything to contribute to the OP's topic move along or the thread will be closed.
    04-05-11 12:26 PM
    Cut and paste on an Android is different than on a BlackBerry. They take the same amount of time though. Neither is hard nor takes a long time.
    04-05-11 12:30 PM
    All phones lag at times...even HTC, Samsung and Motorolla...shocking for sure.
    This I agree with! I've wanted to throw every device I've owned out the window at one time or another for lagging or freezing. BlackBerry and Android.

As far as device size, the benefits of a larger device and screen outweigh the cons. I don't see any cons to a larger device really.

What are the cons? For those of you that prefer a smaller screen and device, what are the pros to this smaller screen?
    Last edited by chrisy520; 04-05-11 at 12:36 PM.
    04-05-11 12:34 PM
79 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD