My work pays for a new phone for me every two years. So I upgrade then. I love smartphones so I'm not going to turn down that perk.
    01-08-16 08:04 AM
    im a former android user ( nov 2012-may 2014)
    iphone 4 less than a month

during those days I try to follow the trend. and also in the look out mode for the latest android and waiting for new iphone to release.

one day I decided to get a BlackBerry for a change since im not really into games and I only needed four to five apps from android/ios at that time (nba, waze,grabataxi,spotify) and I wanna try pkb.. dang after one month I was spoiled by the pkb though my q10 does have a double typing issue but for me its tolerable. my thirst for trend suddenly gone and im only looking straight at latest BlackBerry devices. right now im on classic and if ever ill replace this device definitely it will be another BlackBerry.. I love the pkb of the classic and security wise nothing beats blackberry after my q10 got stolen I manage to wipe it out immediately. No non sense device.. BlackBerry will not give you air shuffle (the "f" I dont know the relevance or importance of air shuffle on a mobile device). and BlackBerry devices looks so premium and soo professional and I like it..

thought right now I need itouch for music and
    facebook
    (the only thing that BlackBerry sucks)

Posted via CB10
    No nonsense = no sales.
    01-08-16 02:26 PM
    No nonsense = no sales.
    lol I dont even care about how BlackBerry sales are going right now.. I just answered/commented on the topic itself. I dont think he's even asking for a response with regards the status of BlackBerry in the market.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-16 08:19 PM
    This is the best thread I've read in some time. I completely agree. However, I think it's fair to say that it's been one of the biggest challenges for BlackBerry to keep sales going. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if 90 something percent of new iPhones were purchased by people who already owned iPhones. The "market share" is not made up of people getting their first smartphone. We are far from those days now. Upgrade cycles are what drive the sales and it needs to be considered that "market share" is made up of some people buying upwards of 3 to 5 new devices to others one that will be their only purchase for years.

I'd agree with the argument that most BlackBerry users keep their phones for a much longer time than those with most any other brand. That means BlackBerry gets far less repeat customers and far less sales. They do still have some of us though in the quest for the 'perfect' form factor as also they play with different forms far more than any other current manufacturer. I've went from the Z10 to the Z30 and now I bounce back and forth between the Passport and Classic. I really want the Priv but I'm skeptical. It's not just the Android runtime that is the problem with BB10, it's reflective of Android itself. Android wants to be first and latest and greatest and, as a result, their devices become dated and eventually obsolete much faster. BlackBerry has supported every BB10 device they have made and they all run better and better with each upgrade, primarily designed to optimize the device as much as possible. The same can't be said about the latest versions of Android or iOS.

So, the exact things we love as BlackBerry users (perhaps excluding the transition happening currently with the Priv), the shareholders surely do not have the same appreciation for.
    +100

For this reason, I think BlackBerry needs to complete their transition to a software company that can charge a fixed price on a recurring basis. They've never really made their money on selling devices versus collecting service fees. That's why they've never built phones that only last a year or two.

Apple and Google continue to make money via their app stores, music stores, etc. After they sell their phones. That's why they are the only real winners in the industry.

In hindsight, I think that BlackBerry might have been better off if they had sought to establish a small, but sustainable, position by marketing BB10 as the antithesis of iOS and Android at launch:
    - a free or low cost phone that lasts 3-5 years
    - a monthly service charge of $10, but no hidden costs for 3rd party apps
    - available unlocked direct from BlackBerry on all networks, available to carriers if desired
    - monthly patches and updates direct from Blackberry
    - an ecosystem NOT reliant on 3rd party developers, with polished, fully integrated native apps for all communications functions
    - a commitment to build and maintain native versions of the 5-10 most popular available social networking and mobile apps
    - no Android run time, but a robust support team to help Android and iOS developers port their apps if desired.

By presenting themselves as the antidote to the "there's an app for that" mentality, as a solution for people who want a long-lasting, easy to use, all purpose communications device with the best integrated user experience and no hidden costs or hassles, they might have attracted a small, sustainable loyal following and revenue stream.

Sometimes, it's a mistake to swing for the fences. BlackBerry tried to go big with BB10 at launch and paid a hefty price.
    Posted via CB10
    01-09-16 10:18 AM
    We can't miss the point here, Apple and Google sell features. Every new device is guaranteed to offer more capabilities and features so people wait for the next device so they can have the latest and greatest capabilities and features. And BB was left in the dust with the new watches that came out...

BB was around before Apple and Android and IS or WAS the antithesis of iOS and Android. The problem is that also makes them the antithesis of capabilities and features, which they became known for and is what 99.99% of consumers yearn for. They do have a small and dedicated customer base, but unfortunately it isn't sustainable as one by one we're either forced away by our companies or providers or one of their loyal base opts to have more capabilities and features...

Arrogantly saying we're more secure and "better" if you don't care for capabilities and features is what killed them, you can't expect that thinking to bring them back to life.
    GadgetTravel likes this.
    01-09-16 11:42 AM
    We can't miss the point here, Apple and Google sell features. Every new device is guaranteed to offer more capabilities and features so people wait for the next device so they can have the latest and greatest capabilities and features. And BB was left in the dust with the new watches that came out...

BB was around before Apple and Android and IS or WAS the antithesis of iOS and Android. The problem is that also makes them the antithesis of capabilities and features, which they became known for and is what 99.99% of consumers yearn for. They do have a small and dedicated customer base, but unfortunately it isn't sustainable as one by one we're either forced away by our companies or providers or one of their loyal base opts to have more capabilities and features...

Arrogantly saying we're more secure and "better" if you don't care for capabilities and features is what killed them, you can't expect that thinking to bring them back to life.
    I think people should at least give BlackBerry 10 a go without any prejudice.

I was initially skeptical of BlackBerry, but I was pleasantly surprised with the capabilities of BlackBerry 10 once I got used to it.

Most

Posted via CB10
    01-09-16 04:37 PM
    I think people should at least give BlackBerry 10 a go without any prejudice.

I was initially skeptical of BlackBerry, but I was pleasantly surprised with the capabilities of BlackBerry 10 once I got used to it.

Most

Posted via CB10
    That ship has sailed. It was a few years too late.
    01-09-16 04:45 PM
    I wish I was in the same boat as you lucky fellas.

My first phone was some Prepaid LG rumor touch, it wasn't bad, still works today. It's just that it had a cdma chip thingy, which I couldn't use when I switched to T-Mobile. I was like no problem, I'll just get the LG Rumor Touch. And man did I regret that descion. It was slow buggy, and prone to drain my battery really quickly.

So after about of year of usage and two factory resets latter, I said screw it and upgraded my self to a Blackberry Z 10. Had no problem with it, till it got stolen after my trip to Canada about a year latter.

I've been rocking the Classic for over a year now. I am debating on wether turning my current phone to my video streaming phone and buy a priv and keep that for 3-5 years. Or should I just stick to what I have, because you know phones are expensive.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-16 04:52 PM
    I am using a Q5 on my personal line with BLEND to my iPad 2.

Now, I also have an iPhone 4s. I thought I'd just goof around and use Apple's "Continuity" to sort of "Blend" the iPhone to the iPad. Surprise. Neither the iPhone 4s nor the iPad2 support Continuity. They are too old, even though both are running the new iOS 9.x.

However, thanks to BlackBerry Blend, my Q5 interfaces beautifully with the iPad2. The more I use this combination, the more I am convinced that for me it is a match made in heaven. Granted, I love my 9900 BRIDGED to my Playbook for business, but for personal, the Q5 Blended to the iPad2 is amazing. BlackBerry had done a great job with Blend (IMO) and it works fantastic on an iPad2. This truly gives me the best of both worlds. I can use BB10 as the handheld device, and the iPad2 for everything else including some great iOS Apps that I happen to like.

As a sidebar, I really like the Q5 over the Q10. The island keys are more typing friendly for my fingers. I think the lowly Q5 is a very underrated device in the BB10 family. But whatever you like, you like. Plenty of great BB10 devices out there now.
    01-09-16 11:28 PM
    I thought it would do the same for me but it has allowed me to do some playing around with other devices. I enjoy Android but at the same time have issues with certain things. The Nexus phone line is very nice.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-16 12:03 AM
35 12