Apple covers, other manufacturers do this.
    This is not completely true. I asked Samsung US about the warranty status of my Galaxy S3 when it was within the one year and they told me they wouldn't warranty it since it wasn't bought through them. When I contacted Samsung Canada, they basically told me to go pound sand, I was outside their jurisdiction.
    06-17-15 03:14 PM
    There are a lot of eBay sellers who are selling devices that are financed and have a bill owed on them and once the original purchaser stops paying the bill, the carrier will blacklist the device. Thats why I always do a thorough IMEI check before I buy a used one to make sure the device has been paid off and is free and clear, I know several folks who have been burned in the past and are out their money.
    Even an IMEI check/paid off phone isn't enough to protect the second purchaser. The original buyer could commit insurance fraud by selling a subsidized phone (which would have a clean IMEI) at near-retail, and then claiming it was lost/stolen and getting a replacement. And the second purchaser ends up with a brick.
    06-17-15 03:22 PM
    Even an IMEI check/paid off phone isn't enough to protect the second purchaser. The original buyer could commit insurance fraud by selling a subsidized phone (which would have a clean IMEI) at near-retail, and then claiming it was lost/stolen and getting a replacement. And the second purchaser ends up with a brick.
    Good point, I have seen that happen to.
    06-17-15 03:25 PM
    This is not completely true. I asked Samsung US about the warranty status of my Galaxy S3 when it was within the one year and they told me they wouldn't warranty it since it wasn't bought through them. When I contacted Samsung Canada, they basically told me to go pound sand, I was outside their jurisdiction.
    I experienced this too.

Samsung's warranty is valid only in the same country where the phone was officially distributed and sold.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2204
    06-17-15 04:16 PM
    Nope. Purchased a used Toshiba Z10t from eBay with Depot Warranty Repair until April 2017. Switched the warranty over to my name with a quick phone call to Toshiba, no problem.
    Not nope.

You're talking about a recent purchase. I'm talking about something that happened to me with a laptop I bought in 1998.

Things may have changed since, but that does not make my story a nope.

This is probably also the reason when the Wii was insanely popular the ones that were selling on eBay for the best price were the ones that came with an original purchase receipt.

Your seller should have provided you with an original receipt. Otherwise, who's to say how the seller got the phone in the first place.

You gambled with eBay and you lost. I have had the same experience. Eventually you just suck it up and realize you learned a lesson the hard way.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-15 04:33 PM
    You gambled with eBay and you lost. I have had the same experience. Eventually you just suck it up and realize you learned a lesson the hard way.
    Posted via CB10
    I guess this statement sums it all up. That eBay listing may have been cheaper but there was a gamble. And without the proof of ownership (original one between your seller and AT&T), you where on the losing end.

AT&T and eventually Blackberry denied your warranty claim specifically because you had no proof of ownership. I think things would have gone differently have you had the proof of ownership.

Again, it all boils down to you not having the proof of ownership (original receipt).

Posted via CB10
    06-17-15 07:41 PM
    lets SAY Blackberry lost 100 $ per device, so person X stole A device from them, then the device broke DOWN, you want Blackberry to give another 100 $ DEVICE to that person X that stole the phone FROM the beginning ?

Now if this make sense not do to, how do you want Blackberry TO prove that the AT&T phone wasn't stolen without the original RECEIPT ?

ps: I found it funny people that capitalize a full word to make a point, so I did the same ;p
    Yeah, well, try typing opening bracket, b, closing bracket, the words you want, opening bracket, slash, b, and closing bracket on mobile.

Yeah, it's painful, I know. Oh wait, maybe you're using a PC? Never mind.

Now, your scenario is crazy. Warranty covers broken device, not lost, which is an entirely separate plan called insurance, which you need to pay for, thus the rest doesn't make sense.

Also, people that lose their device generally report it as stolen and have it blacklisted.

Unless your device has been reported as stolen either by IMEI or other identifiers and therefore blacklisted, warranty should take care of it breaking down until it's out of warranty.

Z10 STL100-1/10.3.1.2576
    06-17-15 08:31 PM
    I absolutely agree with you regarding the original purchase receipt. I have a PayPal Claim open at the moment, and my affidavit includes an argument referencing that exact point. I said that if the device truly was brand new (touching on eBay's listing policies), then a buyer would assume that the seller could produce proof of the smartphone's authenticity. If not, and I knew that prior to the sale, then how would purchasing that device be any different than buying a clearly marked used device? Either way, device warranties would not apply.

That's fine, and I agree with your point. But if the device was brand new and the buyer obtained the original purchase receipt from AT&T, do you feel BlackBerry should deny the warranty because the buyer didn't purchase the item originally? That just makes no sense to me. Handing a box over from one person to another shouldn't automatically make the electronics within it "used."
    Couldn't agree more. Its a garbage way of doing business that to me is just a cheap way of getting out of repairing phones that should be covered under warranty.
    CatDaddy likes this.
    06-18-15 05:53 AM
    This is why Blackberry sucks for warranties. And this is an area where Apple shines.

Posted via CB10
    bakron1 likes this.
    06-18-15 06:31 AM
34 12