I just wanted to let everyone know who may be looking for a Passport here that BlackBerry device warranties do not transfer at all. They apply to the person who originally purchased the device, that's it.

I bought a brand new Passport off of eBay, and I cannot receive a warranty replacement for terrible double typing. It's sad, but it's how BlackBerry has chosen to cover their hardware.

So regardless of device condition, new, like new, or all beat up, if you didn't purchase the device originally you are SOL if the hardware fails.

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    06-16-15 06:55 PM
    Thought thats how it always worked!

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.798
    RLTurn77 and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    06-16-15 07:02 PM
    It's terrible. I ran into the same situation a while back. Way to cover the product against defects BlackBerry! Nickel and dime to get out of warranty coverage. Apple covers, other manufacturers do this, heck all car companies cover the product, not the person. Silly for a company that used to be up there at the top.

I guess that's why things slip up over time as corporations become complacent in certain aspects of their business.

Best of luck with your situation, hope you get it resolved somehow.
    mcg3745 and CatDaddy like this.
    06-16-15 07:08 PM
    Bud you just discovered warranty. Now if you were buying a washing machine, the story may have gone differently.

Posted from Nederland!
    Last edited by kenzo_44; 06-16-15 at 11:35 PM.
    RLTurn77 likes this.
    06-16-15 07:10 PM
    Thought thats how it always worked!

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.798
    Yes, I see that now after reading all the warranty documents. It is too bad because most individuals now-a-days (I would think - especially after dealing with other electronic companies) think that the hardware warranty follows the device and not the owner.\

Was just trying to help a future buyer out before they make the same mistake unknowingly.
    06-16-15 09:00 PM
    I think this exists for other things as well. I once needed to send a Toshiba computer in for warranty, they wouldn't repair it until I produced an original receipt to prove I had not bought it secondhand or stolen it.

This was when the laptop was 5 years old already. I counted myself lucky to find it.

Posted via CB10
    RLTurn77 likes this.
    06-16-15 10:18 PM
    Yup, as unfortunate as it is, this has always been the case for BlackBerry devices. Mostly because they are still stuck operating like if they were an equipment supplier for the carriers, and the carriers themselves had to handle your issue. Nowadays things are very different (even BlackBerry themselves sells unlocked online),.. but... their warranty fine print remains.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-15 10:23 PM
    It has always been this way. Nothing new. Purchase direct. My 9 month old Passport cost $449 from shopblackberry. Also have a spare Z30 from the Fall for $229.

I highly doubt many here are going to be surprised by this. It is nothing new and a risk you take when buying from eBay or a third party seller.

Same goes for the BlackBerry Protection plan that recently came out. BlackBerry was kind enough to back date it to cover many of the Passport owners that purchased before this was available, but don't expect to buy a phone off eBay and get this.

When you buy from a third party seller, you need to look at their return policy or warranty.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-15 10:26 PM
    It's terrible. I ran into the same situation a while back. Way to cover the product against defects BlackBerry! Nickel and dime to get out of warranty coverage. Apple covers, other manufacturers do this, heck all car companies cover the product, not the person. Silly for a company that used to be up there at the top.

I guess that's why things slip up over time as corporations become complacent in certain aspects of their business.

Best of luck with your situation, hope you get it resolved somehow.
    It is a limited one year warranty on any technical issues. If purchased through the correct channels, you will get the warranty. I don't see a reason to not purchase direct and most people who purchase a smartphone either through BlackBerry or their carrier will be covered and likely (guestimate 99%) will use the device for the 12 month coverage period.

I don't see an issue. I don't bother looking on eBay for a BlackBerry when I can get a brand new unlocked device direct from BlackBerry through shopblackberry or Amazon.

Edit: Just wanted to add that if you purchased through eBay your Passport is not brand new therefore voiding the warranty as you did not purchase the device brand new. BlackBerry.com will literally show you where you can purchase their devices brand new and some seller on eBay is not going to be there.

As a side note, I'm looking at a Z30 on eBay for my father and aware that the seller will offer a 30 day return if I have any issues. This is what BBVE is for initially. After that it's on me because I'd rather take that chance than give Verizon $499 for a $200 device. For a device like the Passport, I'd go through the correct channels as listed by BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-15 10:33 PM
    OP, you are dealing with delicate electronics. I am not sure why this would surprise you at all.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-15 12:13 AM
    I think this exists for other things as well. I once needed to send a Toshiba computer in for warranty, they wouldn't repair it until I produced an original receipt to prove I had not bought it secondhand or stolen it.

This was when the laptop was 5 years old already. I counted myself lucky to find it.

Posted via CB10
    Nope. Purchased a used Toshiba Z10t from eBay with Depot Warranty Repair until April 2017. Switched the warranty over to my name with a quick phone call to Toshiba, no problem.

Edit: Just wanted to add that if you purchased through eBay your Passport is not brand new therefore voiding the warranty as you did not purchase the device brand new. BlackBerry.com will literally show you where you can purchase their devices brand new and some seller on eBay is not going to be there.
    Bull****. The device was sealed in a box. You're going to try and tell me it's used, simply because it was sold on eBay? That's just a ridiculous notion. If a device is new and comes in a factory sealed package, the hardware warranty should apply. Obviously my opinion, but a valid one I would think.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    06-17-15 12:17 AM
    This is one thing that I really don't like about warranties. So we bought it second hand? So what? It's still the exact same device and YOU have already got the money from the original buyer.

My current phone is second-hand, fortunately when claiming warranty they simply run the serial number through database, saw that it's still within warranty and proceeded to deal with it. The only kind of warranty claim that should have existed.

Z10 STL100-1/10.3.1.2576
    06-17-15 01:19 AM
    That wouldn't roll in Europe, I guess. Neither in Australia, if you can stick the original purchase receipt in their face...

(haha, just make sure you photocopied the thingy, some thermopaper receipts are faded and gone in an afternoon on the dashboard, lol!)

�   Pastaporto aglio e olio... Mmmhhh!   �
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    06-17-15 03:19 AM
    That wouldn't roll in Europe, I guess. Neither in Australia, if you can stick the original purchase receipt in their face...

(haha, just make sure you photocopied the thingy, some thermopaper receipts are faded and gone in an afternoon on the dashboard, lol!)

�   Pastaporto aglio e olio... Mmmhhh!   �
    Capitalism either that or some greedy conspiracy group started this whole mess

Z10 STL100-1/10.3.1.2576
    06-17-15 05:42 AM
    This is just plan bad form. BlackBerry is looking for any way possible to get out of doing warranty repairs. Which is kind of crazy since when you do actually use the warranty, all you get is a used replacement device that may be even worse than the one you sent in.

The last time I had to deal with a warranty on a electronic device was with Garmin. The model needing replaced was less than a year old. That was all they needed to know. No recipet or proof of purchase required. The device came out less than a year ago and had problems so Garmin replaced it with a brand new sealed unit no questions ask.

That's how it should be done!
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    06-17-15 05:47 AM
    Yeah this has always sucked. If the phone is under warranty and hasn't been dropped or damaged by the current owner then the device should be covered. This is one of the reasons why iPhones keep a high resale value becuase if its under warranty whoever owns the device is covered. I purchased my wife an iPhone 6 off of ebay with Apple Care on it. One of our kids dropped it into our pool and she recieved a brand new device for $79 because the warranty covered it.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    06-17-15 06:23 AM
    Bud you just discovered warranty. Now if you were buying a washing machine, the story may have gone differently.

Posted from Nederland!
    Or if the OP bought a competitor's device (iPhone), the story would have gone differently.
    MarsupilamiX and Me2 like this.
    06-17-15 06:36 AM
    Or if the OP bought a competitor's device (iPhone), the story would have gone differently.
    People are willing to pay premium for good aftersales support, just ask Dell

Z10 STL100-1/10.3.1.2576
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    06-17-15 06:42 AM
    I just wanted to let everyone know who may be looking for a Passport here that BlackBerry device warranties do not transfer at all. They apply to the person who originally purchased the device, that's it.

I bought a brand new Passport off of eBay, and I cannot receive a warranty replacement for terrible double typing. It's sad, but it's how BlackBerry has chosen to cover their hardware.

So regardless of device condition, new, like new, or all beat up, if you didn't purchase the device originally you are SOL if the hardware fails.

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    This is what needs to be fixed ASAP, I can buy a used Nokia, iPhone and even a Samsung and as long as the warranty period is still valid and the device is not stolen, they will fix it. This should be the same with Blackberry!!! Remember folks, they have to be on par or better then their competitors are offering if they expect to compete, period.
    06-17-15 06:48 AM
    Bull****. The device was sealed in a box. You're going to try and tell me it's used, simply because it was sold on eBay? That's just a ridiculous notion. If a device is new and comes in a factory sealed package, the hardware warranty should apply. Obviously my opinion, but a valid one I would think.
    Wrong, if the device was stolen it doesn't matter how brand new it look. Did the seller gave you an AT&T receipt with it ?
    Me2 likes this.
    06-17-15 07:36 AM
    Wrong, if the device was stolen it doesn't matter how brand new it look. Did the seller gave you an AT&T receipt with it ?
    There are a lot of eBay sellers who are selling devices that are financed and have a bill owed on them and once the original purchaser stops paying the bill, the carrier will blacklist the device. Thats why I always do a thorough IMEI check before I buy a used one to make sure the device has been paid off and is free and clear, I know several folks who have been burned in the past and are out their money.
    AcADIeN likes this.
    06-17-15 10:49 AM
    Depending on where you are, it may be that the warranty is not transferable from owner to owner, but not transferable from carrier to carrier. In your case, if you had an AT&T post paid account you would have had a better chance of getting your phone fixed by AT&T.

I have bought used Rogers phones, even ones exported to the USA and bought by me, which would make me the third owner if you count the original seller that bought it from Rogers to sell to the USA. I have a Rogers account and any phones that I bought used that required repair, were repaired under warranty. There is a Rogers web site that you can put in the IMEI to see the in service date, from which the warranty starts. AT&T may have the same, but if you do not have an account with them and do not have access to the original sale date, you have no leverage with them to get it repaired.

Sadly, the carriers are now going to third party insures and once again you loose the leverage of cancelling your account if they do not repair the phone. I have moved from Rogers to Eastlink, so I am not sure if Rogers still handles the repairs or have moved to a third party insurer. In the past, the Rogers phones went to Flextronics, which was supplied the warranty parts by BlackBerry.
    06-17-15 11:05 AM
    After reading the above, now I'm sure this crap is because of capitalism.

I don't get it. So what if it's stolen? Unless the original owner explicitly blocks the phone, warranty should still be covered. Warranty should be less about "we will cover any cost if YOUR device breaks" and more "we will cover any cost if THIS device breaks"

Z10 STL100-1/10.3.1.2576
    06-17-15 12:10 PM
    I don't get it. So what if it's stolen?
    lets SAY Blackberry lost 100 $ per device, so person X stole A device from them, then the device broke DOWN, you want Blackberry to give another 100 $ DEVICE to that person X that stole the phone FROM the beginning ?

Now if this make sense not do to, how do you want Blackberry TO prove that the AT&T phone wasn't stolen without the original RECEIPT ?

ps: I found it funny people that capitalize a full word to make a point, so I did the same ;p
    06-17-15 01:24 PM
    lets SAY Blackberry lost 100 $ per device, so person X stole A device from them, then the device broke DOWN, you want Blackberry to give another 100 $ DEVICE to that person X that stole the phone FROM the beginning ?

Now if this make sense not do to, how do you want Blackberry TO prove that the AT&T phone wasn't stolen without the original RECEIPT ?

ps: I found it funny people that capitalize a full word to make a point, so I did the same ;p
    I absolutely agree with you regarding the original purchase receipt. I have a PayPal Claim open at the moment, and my affidavit includes an argument referencing that exact point. I said that if the device truly was brand new (touching on eBay's listing policies), then a buyer would assume that the seller could produce proof of the smartphone's authenticity. If not, and I knew that prior to the sale, then how would purchasing that device be any different than buying a clearly marked used device? Either way, device warranties would not apply.

That's fine, and I agree with your point. But if the device was brand new and the buyer obtained the original purchase receipt from AT&T, do you feel BlackBerry should deny the warranty because the buyer didn't purchase the item originally? That just makes no sense to me. Handing a box over from one person to another shouldn't automatically make the electronics within it "used."
    AcADIeN likes this.
    06-17-15 01:36 PM
34 12