There is no such thing as a "secure" device at least not in consumer equipment such as this.

a blackberry is not much more "hack proof" than an iphone (anything's more secure than a winmo phone :-)

There is one reason the iphone is hacked like crazy and the blackberry is not.

NUMBER OF UNITS SOLD. its just that simple.

When rim sells a gazillion units to regular joe consumer your going to see it get just as "hacked" as any other phone.

One "hack" I am looking forward too is a bluetooth hack so I can transfer address books and files easier. Right now its impossible to a royal pita.

even a third party app that would allow me to send and receive files (and send the right service protocols to other phones etc..) and contacts like any other phone can would be nice.

Till then the phone is otherwise 99% awesome :-)

I got an 8330 today. its not as nice to hold as my 8830 a little slower (not much) and a little thicker but the 3.5mm jack and Camera and dock connection are worth it. Owe and I can get an orange housing for it. Major bonus points there :-) hehe
    Last edited by nerys; 05-03-09 at 10:22 PM.
    05-03-09 10:18 PM
    "We went together like peas and carrots... me and Je-Nay."

+1 on no secure consumer device... but they do seem to be as close as it gets. I mean, Obama got to keep his.

I will poke around for a solution to your bt xfer problem.
    05-04-09 12:32 AM
    I heard few months ago about hackers conference and they offered $ 10,000 to anyone can hack into macs , blackberry and some others but no one couldn't hack into those!
    05-04-09 12:37 AM
    Many seem to still be under the impression that hackers have something to do with wanton destruction of property and privacy in hopes to see Angelina Jolie in a dress.

Hacking does not have a negative connotation... regardless of your perception. Many of you seem to think "hacking" means remotely breaking into something, which it CAN, but is far from the definition.

File sharing is not illegal either. You want a new distro of Linux? Chances are you are going to have to use a torrent. It is the best system on the planet for transferring large files... used by every major corporation... developed by hackers. Linux is a hacked version of Unix, and has changed the world. The internet is run on Linux. Every fortune 100 company has profited from Linux. They just don't like it when you hack THEIR stuff... unless it makes them money.

Hackers, at their core, believe in the free dissemination of information. You can not prevent people from figuring out a system, set, or pattern thereof. If I want to remove coding I hate from a product I OWN, I will damm sure do so. It is mine to do as I see fit with. I can throw it into a fire if I want too. It's mine.

Anybody made their own themes?
    That is a hack.

If I wanted to extend the range of my wifi for a specific purpose, and drilled a hole and soldered on a mini SMA so I can attach an amplifier, that is a hack.

and yes, if you unlocked pay only content... that is a hack too.

Hackers reverse engineer, look for holes, look for flaws. We figure out how things work, so that we can augment We make products better, and more secure. You can say if there were no hackers there would be no need for security... but you would be a nincompoop. We like challenges. We take risks. We don't all live in basements sculpting dwarves or romulans in our spare time out of soapwood... but some do...

Being willing to gut your berry to try and make it better doesn't make you a criminal. In short, hacking does not equal stealing. Stop watching movies.
    05-04-09 08:56 AM
    It is possible to reverse engineer executables, but it is a royal pain in the *** from what I hear. Would be nice to enable roam only. My tour loves to hang out on the sprint tower with 0 bars or <110db (ALT+NMLL on home screen to show db level in case you didn't know) on a regular basis. I'm sure the roam threshold or whatever its called is set by sprint and they would rather give someone a crappy signal than pay for using another carriers tower. Friggin nazis...
    10-22-09 12:58 AM
    Does "flashing" a phone count? Probably not... and no one is doing anymore anyway lol
    10-22-09 02:21 AM
    Does "flashing" a phone count? Probably not... and no one is doing anymore anyway lol
    Haha I did yesterday night... I got bored and wanted to see what happened after changing the vendor ID
    10-22-09 09:39 AM
    How do I transfer my contacts from my BB to my new iphone ?
    unpossible
    10-22-09 01:21 PM
    There is no such thing as a "secure" device at least not in consumer equipment such as this.

a blackberry is not much more "hack proof" than an iphone (anything's more secure than a winmo phone :-)

There is one reason the iphone is hacked like crazy and the blackberry is not.

NUMBER OF UNITS SOLD. its just that simple.

When rim sells a gazillion units to regular joe consumer your going to see it get just as "hacked" as any other phone.

One "hack" I am looking forward too is a bluetooth hack so I can transfer address books and files easier. Right now its impossible to a royal pita.

even a third party app that would allow me to send and receive files (and send the right service protocols to other phones etc..) and contacts like any other phone can would be nice.

Till then the phone is otherwise 99% awesome :-)

I got an 8330 today. its not as nice to hold as my 8830 a little slower (not much) and a little thicker but the 3.5mm jack and Camera and dock connection are worth it. Owe and I can get an orange housing for it. Major bonus points there :-) hehe
    Hate to burst your bubble, but overall RIM has outsold Apple in terms of phones, not to mention RIM has been selling phones far longer than Apple.

And there are more hacks for the iPhone, like the SMS error that caused them to be knocked off the network if someone formatted the packet correctly.

Also, without 3rd party apps using regular internet access, everything goes through RIM's servers and is completely encrypted between BB phones, something no one else does. By nature, the iPhone always uses a less secure method of communicating information.
    10-22-09 01:39 PM
    I heard few months ago about hackers conference and they offered $ 10,000 to anyone can hack into macs , blackberry and some others but no one couldn't hack into those!
    Not saying you didn't hear that or anything. But it's a myth that Macs are more secure then PCs. Trust me I deal with people everyday who bought into that and now have major problems in their life. That's all I can say about that.

BB's are inherently more secure then other smartphone options. But not impenetrable.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by strunke; 10-22-09 at 03:39 PM.
    10-22-09 03:29 PM
    Any hacking tips for me? I can do everything to an android phone, but blackberry OS is different. So any help? I have an unlocked storm to use through t-mobile and i wanna hack and mod.
    10-12-10 10:45 PM
    Is there any possibility of a blackberry being hacked - specifically BBM?
    01-30-12 03:34 AM
    Is there any possibility of a blackberry being hacked - specifically BBM?
    Nope. There is a reason why the US government relies on BlackBerry, and foreign countries talk about banning BlackBerry (since they can't access their citizen's devices) . BlackBerry is very secure and not hack friendly.

Sent from my gTablet using Tapatalk.
    01-30-12 08:21 AM
    Any hacking tips for me? I can do everything to an android phone, but blackberry OS is different. So any help? I have an unlocked storm to use through t-mobile and i wanna hack and mod.
    The only Android phones that are hackable, are the ones they (manufacturers) allow to be hackable. When companies lock the "bootloaders", it's almost impossible to get in and make kernel level changes. Sure, some minor mods and stuff can still be done, but nothing significant.

This is why Motorola has fallen out of favor with most of the "community"..because of their locking policies. Of course..they've promised change, and have made some, but are still putting out devices with locked bootloaders (Razr for example..although they are releasing an unlockable "dev" version).
    01-30-12 09:34 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD