Hello All,

Although I'm certainly no stranger to CrackBerry.com, I am a new member nonetheless. I'm also a BlackBerry owner, like most every other soul that visits this site, which is not to suggest that I possess the BlackBerry lineage that some of the gurus who offer advise and wisdom on this forum do. I've owned a Curve 8900 and my current phone, a Bold 9700. However, I now sit poised and ready to pull the trigger on a new Bold 9900.

This is where I run into some concern...I'm sure that nearly all are familiar with the abundance of prophetic statements that are circulating the web and that forecast RIM's sure to occur demise. There's no shortage of this type of chat whatsoever and there is certainly compelling fact that would appear to support the demise theory with regards to RIM's current stock price and falling, the decrease in unit sales (US), a long with what is widely perceived as RIM's lag in tech intro. I must confess that this type of chat is having a degree of impact on my decision to purchase BlackBerry again and now...I'm sure that I'm not alone in this circumstance.

Therefore, although I've been a tremendous fan of my BlackBerrys, although I'm near thrilled at the prospect of picking up the 9900 (a very nice BB), I nonetheless am forced to consider whether I should purchase a new phone whose parent company may or may not remain a going concern over the course of the coming year or so. I'm really interested in what some of you think with regards to BlackBerry's future; an honest assessment.

As I said, I dig my BlackBerrys, each has been great to me, and I hope RIM turns things around, but is a BlackBerry phone still a prudent investment when stacked against the current and pending marketplace?

Thanks for any input.

Best Regards,
    OLY-JIM
    Last edited by OLY-JIM; 05-09-12 at 12:04 AM.
    05-08-12 10:58 PM
    Do a CB search & make your own conclusion. I love it when folks with old BB come here and ask If RIM is done. If you were a big fan you would be current on your device. The 9900 is close if not a Year old.
    shemaree09 likes this.
    05-08-12 11:42 PM
    RIM has a huge cash pile, no debt, and still earning positive operating cash flow every quarter. In no scenario will it close up shop any time soon.
    05-08-12 11:49 PM
    RIM has a huge cash pile, no debt, and still earning positive operating cash flow every quarter. In no scenario will it close up shop any time soon.
    Add to that 77 million active subscribers.
    05-09-12 02:30 AM
    Yes, they are going the way of the dinosaurs... They will be even more valuable on their second-go-round than on their first...

05-09-12 02:38 AM
    None of the negative stuff you mention makes the bold 99xx any less awesome or useful than its been from day one. It is a premium device. Stylish, fast, and efficient.

Moreover if anything rim is on an upswing with blackberry 10 coming. You can bet the bold 99xx phones will get updates for some time to come since os 7 will continue to be used in new devices for a while.

As others have mentioned rim is financially in pretty good shape. They have lots of options going forward. I'd ignore the naysayers.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    OLY-JIM and shemaree09 like this.
    05-09-12 02:43 AM
    Since you ask OP, I will be glad to answer... NO!
    05-09-12 02:57 AM
    Hello All,

Although I'm certainly no stranger to CrackBerry.com, I am a new member nonetheless. I'm also a BlackBerry owner, like most every other soul that visits this site, which is not to suggest that I possess the BlackBerry lineage that some of the gurus who offer advise and wisdom on this forum do. I've owned a Curve 8900 and my current phone, a Bold 9700. However, I now sit poised and ready to pull the trigger on a new Bold 9900.

This is where I run into some concern...I'm sure that nearly all are familiar with the abundance of prophetic statements that are circulating the web and that forecast RIM's sure to occur demise. There's no shortage of this type of chat whatsoever and there is certainly compelling fact that would appear to support the demise theory with regards to RIM's current stock price and falling, the decrease in unit sales (US), a long with what is widely perceived as RIM's lag in tech intro. I must confess that this type of chat is having a degree of impact on my decision to purchase BlackBerry again and now...I'm sure that I'm not alone in this circumstance.

Therefore, although I've been a tremendous fan of my BlackBerrys, although I'm near thrilled at the prospect of picking up the 9900 (a very nice BB), I nonetheless am forced to consider whether I should purchase a new phone whose parent company may or may not remain a going concern over the course of the coming year or so. I'm really interested in what some of you think with regards to BlackBerry's future; an honest assessment.

As I said, I dig my BlackBerrys, each has been great to me, and I hope RIM turns things around, but is a BlackBerry phone still a prudent investment when stacked against the current and pending marketplace?

Thanks for any input.

Best Regards,
    OLY-JIM
    Just buy it from your carrier, if they sell it, they must support it (at least the services and the length of your engagement).
    For all the speculations you state ... well ... in short: this won't hapend.
    OLY-JIM likes this.
    05-09-12 04:40 AM
    You're right. RIM has done or said nothing in the past few weeks and days to show they are willing to do anything. They're quite content to sit there and do nothing. Nope they haven't said a thing.
    05-09-12 04:53 AM
    RIM is going through some large changes and tough times but I wouldn't worry they will be around for a long time. You might want to wait to later this year and look at the new BB10 devices that are coming out. But if you can't wait the new bold is a awesome device.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    OLY-JIM likes this.
    05-09-12 04:58 AM
    Be Bold.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    OLY-JIM likes this.
    05-09-12 05:01 AM
    Trust what you know, rather than what you are being told. I am always concerned when someone tells me what I need.
    05-09-12 05:05 AM
    I hope that they are going the way of the dinosaurs.

Can someone just remind me how much the Jurassic Park franchise has grossed at the box office? I seem to recall those dinosaurs were fairly successful
    05-09-12 06:08 AM
    @ OLY-JIM - Might be you read all the reports from all android sites but its too early to say that BB is going to be Dinosaur... Millions of people looking for BB 10 smartphones and i am sure this time RIM will not let us down.
    Barljo likes this.
    05-09-12 06:58 AM

OLY-JIM
    we sit in similar scenarios. Just that I use a 9300. But here is the thing I had to come to an understanding of, everyone has an opinion.

Every news site on tech and mobile tech, has their own thoughts, even friends and colleagues have their own ideas on what is going on with RIM today. We don't deny that RIM is in a troubling state, this is not a case of being stuck up RIM's but that we can't find our way out. It is more a case of, ok RIM creates a quality device, they did take a while to introduce the new BB10 but amidst all the talk, RIM has gone through a boat load of changes and for the better. There is still a great big ole market for Blackberry devices and they are looking to plug the current gap and surely add the their 77 Million users.

I would say like myself, hold the trigger for the next wave of devices. Oct/Nov isn't that far away. If you can't wait, the 9900 is a great device.
    OLY-JIM likes this.
    05-09-12 06:59 AM
    RIM is making a comeback like vampire movies are. OP, read some of the blogs here on CrackBerry to get caught up on current RIM news. It's exciting stuff!

Personally, I'll be getting a 9930 (hopefully winning it) and then a BB10 when it's released. I still like the BBOS alot so I have no reason to wait for BB10 to get a new phone.
    05-09-12 07:02 AM
    Well yes they were until they changed. No change would've = dino.
    05-09-12 07:04 AM
    Well...thanks for all of the replies, save one. As of late, I have been doing quite a bit of reading with regards to RIM and as many of you have eluded to, there is certainly some anticipated product release in the upcoming BB10. I hope RIM is able to silence a lot of the naysayers in the not to distant future.

As for myself, after giving the matter some last minute consideration, I picked up a new 9900 this morning . At the end of the day - or - perhaps I should say at the start of it in this case, I'm unable to refute the fact that it is my BB that helps keep me productive and chugging along on a daily basis. I'm not a wildly obsessive app person...I don't steer roller coasters on my phone. I utilize those apps that keep me productive, efficient, achieve functionality, and allow me to remain on time...IMHO, no one beats BB when it comes to that!

I decided to go ahead and pick up the new phone today because I need one now; I thought about waiting for the release of BB10, but I figured why wait and hamper my productivity now. When BB10 arrives, I'll purchase one if there's compelling enough reason.

I will offer one specific reply to a post in this thread that made reference to my not having the current device. For me it's kind of like this, when I find a product that I like I stick with it until it either no longer performs the task that I require it to or until I fallout of fondness with it. I'm not one of those folk that buys new just because something is new; perhaps it's a flaw of mine, but it's just me.

I also understand that there are those individuals who like to possess/own whatever the newest rendition happens to be...that's their choice, I'm happy with it if they are, and I don't pontificate my judgement on them as their actions are not my concern.

Many thanks for the helpful posts, I'll see you around the forum.
    Last edited by OLY-JIM; 05-09-12 at 06:05 PM. Reason: word omission
    kbz1960, Barljo, iamshadow and 1 others like this.
    05-09-12 09:19 AM
    Rim is'nt going anywhere you can rest assured, buy your Blackberry. They are all over emerging markets doing very well, they've entered China, this is the kind of stuff that will at least earn their keep while they work at getting into a better spot in the north american markets. There's a positive side to all of this too.
    05-09-12 09:49 AM
    Follow-up Commentary: I just happened to re-read my very first post on Crackberry.com, which I made in the area of 6-7 weeks ago (yes, I'm a new guy). I was inquiring about RIM's good standing and the Bold 9900. I ended up buying the 9900 and I'm glad that I did...it's been a great phone since the day I picked it up and like my previous BlackBerries, it performs the various task that I need it to perform in remarkably fine fashion...no purchase regrets here.

However, while reviewing this thread and in light of RIM's Q1 reporting yesterday, it seems that my orginal post is a somewhat proven concern; though my like of the 9900 is not diminished in any capacity. I'm also struck by how off the mark a guru or two were in responding to my OP. Certainly, none of us possess crystal balls, therefore we're hopefully left with analytical thought and making investment in what we perceive as being in the best interest of our desired end state.

Since following this site more regularly over the previous months, I've noticed that there are a lot of people who are mislabeled or treated as trolls on this site, many of whom who have done nothing more than but pose a question that they happen to be seeking clarity on...very often it is the "gurus" who are the first to lambast such individuals. I must say, I don't think this site can afford to dissuade open, analytical discussion...such discussion is generally not propagated by trolls; rather, such discussion is generally put forth by those that care or have sincere interest in RIM.

Though I can speculate on RIM's future, I certainly wouldn't hazard to bet on it as both the matter and it's multitude of variables are beyond my current knowledge base. Nonetheless, it seems clear that blind support of any product or company is generally not in the best interest of relevent parties or the consumers. Although RIM must obviously improve their practices and dial in their projections...luckily for me, I was able to obtain something that really works and I'm pleased to own the 9900 as I'm sure a lot of people are. Today, I still find myself rooting on RIM's behalf although from a frustrated position. If it were not true before, it is certainly true now that RIM is in a seriously tough position and without room for additional falter.

I hope RIM is able to hang in there no matter the abundance of currently bleak forecasts, but I also hope that RIM realizes that they must develop the habit of exceding expectations if they ever wish to thrive again. I wonder if the opportunity for correction will remain open to RIM and more importantly for how long?
    Last edited by OLY-JIM; 06-29-12 at 08:46 AM.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-29-12 08:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD