Is John Chen the Stephen Elop of Blackberry? What happens now is really a rerun of the downfall of Nokia. The phones aren't selling that well and Blackberry panics and jumps to Android instead in case that would solve anything.

Switching to Android will make them disappear. It is idiotic to believe that people will suddenly start buying hundreds of millions of BlackBerry Android phones while there are dozens of established Android phone manufacturers on the market which already now is fully saturated. Why would anyone want to suddenly stop buying Samsungs, LGs or Sonys and instead start buying Android phones from BlackBerry - neither any more powerful, nor cheaper.

It is not the SW that inhibits Blackberry but the availability and top spec hardware in ALL form factors.

If Blackberry goes Android I'll give them a few years, then they will end up like Nokia.
    07-13-15 12:01 PM
    Yes, idiotic to consider the possibility that installing a more popular OS might translate to more sales. Ok.

What they're doing now isn't working. Why not try something else?

Posted via CB10
    Donvald likes this.
    07-13-15 12:12 PM
    We don't know that BlackBerry is "switching to Android". We have random renders and rumors.

It is possible that BlackBerry is pursuing a virtualization strategy that would allow them to run GPlay apps within BB10. That is technically feasible, and it's not completely off the wall to believe that there's a way to implement this in a way where Google will allow GPlay access.
    07-13-15 12:19 PM
    You're wrong OP. BlackBerry 10 and all of the limitations that come with it is what's killing BlackBerry 10. Not the hardware.

Do you honestly think that top of the line specs would cause consumers to forget about how terrible of an ecosystem BB10 has? Do you think people would buy a BB10 device, discover that the majority of their favorite apps aren't available on it and then just decide to keep it because it has great specs?

If BlackBerry continues to put out devices that run BB10, they will end up just like Nokia in far less than a few years time. Going Android may not be enough to save them at this point, but throwing more money down the bottomless pit that is BB10 certainly won't save them either.
    07-13-15 12:20 PM
    These android as a base OS rumors (and yes, they're still just rumors) are really bringing out some strange opinions.

If you want the company to survive with hardware, they gotta try something else and get creative. Which is exactly what seems to be happening. So why get all up in arms? Especially since Chen knows damn well that BB loyalist NEED things like the hub/keyboard/excellent email/scheduling, etc... in addition to the apps that ****the majority of the market ABSOLUTELY WANTS***** built in.

I personally think Chen is on the verge of something huge with this potential move. Maybe not Apple-level resurgence but it has some major resurgence potential. I can't wait to hear whatever is announced and I hope it's done very soon.
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    07-13-15 12:30 PM
    When Nokia first started considering Windows Phone back in 2010 -2011, Symbian was still the most popular mobile os worldwide, which is quite different from where BlackBerry 10 is right now.

But yeah, I have to agree. I came to BlackBerry 10 after the fall of Symbian; and it does feel like cliche all over again.

I would certainly hate to see BlackBerry 10 go too.

Posted via CB10

Attachment 362307
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    07-13-15 12:36 PM
    How is what happened at Nokia even remotely similar? Nokia was purchased by Microsoft. Google isn't buying Blackberry (that anyone knows of).
    07-13-15 12:55 PM
    It would be time to move on to iOS or Windows. I hate Android because the experience is god awful. No more love and support from me.
    xtremeled and rlnv like this.
    07-13-15 02:22 PM
    Yes, idiotic to consider the possibility that installing a more popular OS might translate to more sales. Ok.

Posted via CB10
    Lol this is funny.

By adding Android to BlackBerry does not mean more sales.

The fact of the matter is that it's the name that restrict sales. The name BlackBerry has a black mark on it and even if they have the top of the line spec'd phone, people will still not buy it because of the name.

Adding Android to the phone won't do anything but fragment the product.

Posted via CB10
    TripNFry likes this.
    07-13-15 02:24 PM

Posted via CB10
    Well they could try to sell phones people want instead of niche phones that only a had full want.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-15 02:31 PM
    You forgot that Nokia will make their Android phones soon.
    07-13-15 02:33 PM
    We don't know that BlackBerry is "switching to Android". We have random renders and rumors.

It is possible that BlackBerry is pursuing a virtualization strategy that would allow them to run GPlay apps within BB10. That is technically feasible, and it's not completely off the wall to believe that there's a way to implement this in a way where Google will allow GPlay access.
    Shhhhh... you'll attract OHA defenders!

Posted via CB10
    PygmySurfer likes this.
    07-13-15 02:35 PM
    Lol this is funny.

By adding Android to BlackBerry does not mean more sales.

The fact of the matter is that it's the name that restrict sales. The name BlackBerry has a black mark on it and even if they have the top of the line spec'd phone, people will still not buy it because of the name.

Adding Android to the phone won't do anything but fragment the product.

Posted via CB10
    No, it's not the name. It's the app situation. The average consumer isn't going to bother farting around with sideloading Snap or Google Play, so BlackBerry isn't an option for them. Run Android on them and that issue is gone.

Personally I'm not thrilled by this, I prefer BB10, but most folks are married to certain apps, and it's the biggest factor for them.

Well they could try to sell phones people want instead of niche phones that only a had full want.

Posted via CB10
    They've made a pretty wide array of BB10 devices, including 4 full touch devices. The niche excuse falls flat when you hold a quality device like the Z30. It's the apps, as always.

Posted via CB10
    markfern811 and sentimentGX4 like this.
    07-13-15 02:42 PM
    No, don't see this saving BlackBerry hardware.

1) They can't compete on hardware as the volume is just too low to buy components competitively, and paying a 3rd party to manufacture adds to the cost. We will still be seeing last years hardware at today's prices. But now they won't be able to hide behind "it's different".

2) The BlackBerry Experience, Android for Work will both be putting an additional load on the performance of the device. Consumers will not want it (especially as it will most likely require a BES subscription) and business will stick with their move to iOS.... or maybe go with Windows 10 if it works well enough and they throw in Office.

Android might get BlackBerry their Apps.... but there are other issues that will prevent Carriers, Retailer, Consumers, Enterprise, Developing Markets... from caring at this point.

Now if Chen were
    • to release a fully specked out Slider, at cost.
    • Spend several 100's of million on a full iPhone type marketing campaign.
    • Do whatever it took to get all Carriers and even their retail partners on board with featuring the device.
    • If the BlackBerry Experience was a normal app that had no more impact on the device than Instagram.
    • If the devices were perfect, no mechanical slider issue, no double typing, no pealing screens
    • If Battery life was all day - regardless of usage.

Then yeah I might could see them gaining some traction with this new device....
    rlnv likes this.
    07-13-15 02:54 PM
    Yeah well this.: As of Q2 2013, the new BlackBerry 10 platform had almost the same number of developers using the platform as the legacy BlackBerry 5/6/7 had just before the release of BlackBerry 10.[39] Within a few months from its launch, the BlackBerry 10 platform was used by approximately 15% of mobile developers

And Thorsten Heins saying they'd sell tens of millions did way more damage to BB than full android ever could.

On 10.3.2 Stocks for BB10 the only native app I use have serious graphic glitches, and that is after being rewritten for 10.3.1 only one exaple but safe to say they don't give jack about developers.

BB is not what it once was - Neither is it what it could have turned into given success. But I don't think it's fair to blame android for that. And I still desire Venice more than any Android device currently out there.
    07-13-15 02:59 PM
    No, it's not the name. It's the app situation. The average consumer isn't going to bother farting around with sideloading Snap or Google Play, so BlackBerry isn't an option for them. Run Android on them and that issue is gone.

Personally I'm not thrilled by this, I prefer BB10, but most folks are married to certain apps, and it's the biggest factor for them.

They've made a pretty wide array of BB10 devices, including 4 full touch devices. The niche excuse falls flat when you hold a quality device like the Z30. It's the apps, as always.

Posted via CB10
    No its not. The average consumer doesn't even know that Blackberry doesn't have apps. If that were the case then there would have been a flood of BB10 sales upon the launch of it because people weren't aware that apps didn't exist on the phone. There wasn't, no one bought them. Most people aren't even aware that Blackberry makes phones anymore let alone that they don't have apps.
    Jakob Greve likes this.
    07-13-15 03:12 PM

Posted via CB10
    Last I heard the OHA was part of the constitution. Lol

Posted via CB10
    07-13-15 03:14 PM
    I could see the OP's point if BB was a device company... as it is clear that BB is going more and more into software a services for revenue... hardware will become less important.... Chen has said publicly he only needs to sell 10 million a year to make money... if that is the case expanding into Android territory makes sense.. you might see a million or two world wide come back just for the keyboard.... Comparisons with Nokia are useless as the history is different... what killed Nokia was it's partnership with Microsoft.... Microsoft really stuck it to Nokia... remember all those happy people who bought phones with WP7 only to find out they will never be upgraded.... In the end it is not the device market that will measure BB success but software and services revenue... if they cannot get those up to expectations and hardware sales remain flat... then kiss the company good bye... 10 million device sales is not a lot... so with such a low bar... I think there could be a chance for success....
    07-13-15 03:17 PM
    No its not. The average consumer doesn't even know that Blackberry doesn't have apps. If that were the case then there would have been a flood of BB10 sales upon the launch of it because people weren't aware that apps didn't exist on the phone. There wasn't, no one bought them. Most people aren't even aware that Blackberry makes phones anymore let alone that they don't have apps.
    Because most consumers buy what the schmuck at the phone store pushes on them. Walk into a store and ask for a BlackBerry and what will you get? I'll tell you..."Oh you don't want a BlackBerry, it doesn't have any apps, they all get returned". True, people aren't aware of BlackBerry. They're off the map. That was happening before BB10, when people were already heading to Apple and Android because of all the stuff they could do (apps).

I think it's dumb but hey, people are dumb.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-15 03:27 PM
    Because most consumers buy what the schmuck at the phone store pushes on them. Walk into a store and ask for a BlackBerry and what will you get? I'll tell you..."Oh you don't want a BlackBerry, it doesn't have any apps, they all get returned". True, people aren't aware of BlackBerry. They're off the map. That was happening before BB10, when people were already heading to Apple and Android because of all the stuff they could do (apps).

I think it's dumb but hey, people are dumb.

Posted via CB10
    I agree with you but I think the number of people walking into a store asking for a Blackberry is scarce.
    07-13-15 03:28 PM
    I agree with you but I think the number of people walking into a store asking for a Blackberry is scarce.
    I'm sure that's true.

I'm not really sure how damaged the brand is. I know people think it's old, but I'm not sure people would reject a BlackBerry running Android in favor of say an HTC or LG device. If I'm wrong on that then I'm afraid there's no hope for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-15 03:43 PM

Posted via CB10
    Actually, the scenario I'm thinking of would be OHA-compliant, because the phone would be running a complete Android install as a VM.

This is the same approach that Microsoft used to maintain compatibility with XP apps when they introduced Windows 7. The user could install a full Windows XP virtual machine and install apps on it. Nothing really new there, but there were integration features that allowed the XP apps to appear to be running in Win7.

This is my interpretation of the "QNX Hypervisor" rumor. This might take some really hefty system resources to pull off, but if they can I think there's a chance that Google could agree to OHA membership.
    07-13-15 06:22 PM
    BlackBerry 10 is awesome. Andoid stay away!

  
    ThaSwapMeetPimp likes this.
    07-13-15 06:24 PM
    Here's the plan: keep both. Have ppl buy the android version and there will be more sales. Once they have android, they might be curious enough to try BB10.

Look at the comment section of any android news website and 95% of android users are excited about the Venice. The other 5% are ignorant as always...

Posted via CB10
    z3user likes this.
    07-13-15 06:28 PM
    I'm sure that's true.

I'm not really sure how damaged the brand is. I know people think it's old, but I'm not sure people would reject a BlackBerry running Android in favor of say an HTC or LG device. If I'm wrong on that then I'm afraid there's no hope for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    I agree with you. People would not reject a BlackBerry running Android in favor of say an HTC or LG device. My only concerned is possible extra commission, that sale persons would get for selling non blackberry phones.
    07-13-15 06:29 PM
167 123 ...